CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Nice, affordable shop in West LA to replace motor/tranny mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-11, 03:59 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nice, affordable shop in West LA to replace motor/tranny mounts?

I just came back from Lextech and had my tranny fluid and the rear brake pads changed. Turns out I need some other stuff like the motor mounts and transmission mount changed, as well as the front brake pads (Supra TT).

Does anyone know a good shop in the West LA, downtown LA area that does great work for a good price? I would go back to Lextech, but their price for this job seems a bit steep.

Thanks for your help, guys

PS. I can't do it myself as I do not have the time, skills, nor tools.

And this is for a '99 SC400 that's lowered, if that matters

Last edited by Hil; 09-03-11 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-04-11, 12:01 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

dam if u were so far Hil i coulda helped you with the Front TT pads and prolly Tranny mount.

Engine mounts i cant do :|... yet... lol
Old 09-04-11, 12:11 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just curious...How do you like Lextech? I'm considering taking my car to them for my 60k service since the dealer literally wants 3x as much for the samething, the only thing different being that its done at a dealership -_-
Old 09-04-11, 01:30 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

How much are they wanting for the job?

I can't imagine more than $200 for labor.
Old 09-04-11, 10:51 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

I think I'm just going to buy the parts and go to a small shop in the OC.

Originally Posted by vwynn
dam if u were so far Hil i coulda helped you with the Front TT pads and prolly Tranny mount.

Engine mounts i cant do :|... yet... lol
Ah yea, we live too far apart, man. haha

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Just curious...How do you like Lextech? I'm considering taking my car to them for my 60k service since the dealer literally wants 3x as much for the samething, the only thing different being that its done at a dealership -_-
They were great! Awesome customer service, and incredibly knowledgeable about all Lexus. They gave my car a full check to let me know what I needed which is how I found out about the extra stuff. They were personable and I overall had a great experience. They are also very honest and don't recommend you changing parts that you don't need to. (ie. told me I didn't need to change the fuel filter when I asked if I should, told me only tranny fluid needed to be change and a full flush wasn't needed, etc)

It's just the pricing I have a gripe with. While they are cheaper than the dealership, I am aware I could probably get a better deal elsewhere (as with anything). But, it is well worth it for those of you with nicer cars since they are providing quality work. Since my car isn't worth as much, I would prefer to save some bucks and get it fixed at a place that doesn't need to be a Lexus specialty place, hence the point of this thread.

Originally Posted by GSteg
How much are they wanting for the job?

I can't imagine more than $200 for labor.
I paid $244 for tranny fluid and rear OEM brake pads to be changed.($80/$165)

For the extra work:
They are asking $545 for the two rear engine mounts, $220 for the front Supra brake pads to be changed, and $117 for the tranny mount. Total nearing $900 as you can see.

Having looked at pricing off the parts, I can get the 3 mounts for $190, and pads for less than $100 (depending on what I pick). So from there you can estimate labor costs.

Please keep in mind their pricing depends on the car so your price may be higher or lower.
Old 09-04-11, 11:07 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Damn, if you're a little bit closer to SD I might be willing to travel and I can do it for alot less! Where are you located maybe I can consider.
Old 09-04-11, 12:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

$117 for the tranny mount is a ripoff. It's a 15 minute job if that.

Even if its still an SC, the engine mount shouldn't take more than 2 hours. On my GS, I can do it in less time and that's with a floor jack $545 is essentially dealer's price since book time according to them is 4 hours.

I honestly thing you should at least attempt the front brakes. They are some of the easiest pads to change.
Old 09-07-11, 02:15 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in a shop to do this as well in the west LA or South bay area. Also who has the best pricing on the mounts themselves?
Old 09-07-11, 12:55 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

wtf those labor prices are ridiculous. I'd do the tranny and pads for lunch. idk bout the motor mount, but i'd give it a try if I could since i've been planning on doing it for my sc as well. Too bad I'm scared of west LA. all those wealthy people and cruddy roads. my 2 main phobias.
Old 09-07-11, 04:06 PM
Whoareu
Driver

Default I can do it

I have a 96 sc400 i can do it for u if you like i ve worked on cars for a long yime now i can do brakes mounts no prob. I do the work from hm so u know ur not gettin shop price lol if interested call me 323-633-0118 my name is henry i worked on my friends isf i did his brakes drop just let me know
Old 09-07-11, 06:28 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for all the help/offers, guys.

Originally Posted by j three
I'm interested in a shop to do this as well in the west LA or South bay area. Also who has the best pricing on the mounts themselves?
The cheapest I could find for the tranny mount is off eBay. They have the OEM one for a little less than $40 shipped. For the engine mounts, I'm planning on ordering them from Pembroke pines at $70each

Originally Posted by ArodDaLob
wtf those labor prices are ridiculous. I'd do the tranny and pads for lunch. idk bout the motor mount, but i'd give it a try if I could since i've been planning on doing it for my sc as well. Too bad I'm scared of west LA. all those wealthy people and cruddy roads. my 2 main phobias.
Hey, Matt! Can I come to you then? I'm looking to get this done in early October. Let me know if your offer is still open for then
Old 09-07-11, 11:18 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

yep, i'd be happy to help you out.
Old 09-08-11, 09:24 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Hil, I can vouch for Whoareu (Henry). He's been working on my ISF since day 1. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any doubts or concerns. I've known him for over 10 years, very reliable and honest guy.