CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Wisdom needed-Trying to move

Old 04-06-10, 08:05 PM
Pspice
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wisdom needed-Trying to move

Ok...I just turned 20 and I live in Boston MA. I want to try something new get new scenery and just enjoy myself. I have a year and a half of college under my belt soon to be two. I'm in the field for computer engineering at Wentworth Institute of Technology. I currently work at Pepboys (only a mechanic because its slightly fun and it was my first job experience) making 7.90 an hour + commissions. I get paid bi weekly and get around 8-9 hundred dollars (which can be a lot more if i don't be lazy). My bud moved to Monterey Park Cali and hes enjoying himself he constantly tells me to come down, and well his nagging has hit I want to move around there and Transfer to Pasadena City College and then to something better possibly. Now if I do move I can get a job at a Pepboys there through transfer. I want to get my associates or bachelors degree and live out there.

I'm looking for any and as much advice as possible. First move stories, info about the area, if anyone knows about the school, cost of living there. Basically tell me if you think I should do it or not. Ive been looking through craigslist for studio apartments. I'd prefer to live alone but if I really have to I'll room with someone. Just give me some advice please... Thank you.
Old 04-06-10, 09:32 PM
VIPJOSH
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think cali will have a lot better wether

first of all, i just say make sure you can transfer and are promised a job here. Not easy to find them and last thing would be to come here and have to move back due to lack of money.
Old 04-06-10, 09:38 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

pasadena in general is pretty expensive. closer to the city college, there is affordable housing, but not exactly a lot of space. also, cops seem to be very nitpicky around the pasadena/greater los angeles area IMO. if you're bored of the area where you live, pasadena city college is a great college to learn and build upon your education, one of the best in the nation i believe. the area itself has a lot to it- entertainment, restaurants, centralized to los angeles and orange county, and many good car shops. i wish you the very best of luck if and when you decide to live in the pasadena area. i know it isn't easy relocating, but should you choose, there are plenty of so cal members on the forums, myself included, that can really help you assimilate. great people here indeed!
Old 04-06-10, 10:25 PM
skitso1080
Pole Position

my friend just moved from boston down to orange county, she finished her masters at harvard and is now living at the beach.

Pasadena is a popping town, it can be expensive though so search through craigslist. If you find a place I sure people can give you input if its a cool place to live.

Are you gonna bring a uhaul truck cross country?
Old 04-06-10, 10:52 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, stay away from Monterey Park and surrounding cities (San Gabriel, Alhambra) I grew up there and moved away. Too many dumb Asian drivers that can't drive. Add to that a gazillion cars and not to mention, the worse place for modded cars. Cops love em!

As others have said, Pasadena is a nice place with lots to do but is pricey. But, there are really bad parts of Pasadena as well that are not expensive but really aren't places I'd recommend living. Basically, anything north of the 210 freeway (for the most part), you want to stay away from.

If you plan on attending PCC, consider the city of Monrovia, which is just about five to 10 miles east of Pasadena. I've lived there when I first got married and my in-laws have been living there for twenty years. To top it off, there's a Pep Boys in Monrovia that's fairly busy, it seems.

Good luck!
Old 04-06-10, 11:00 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

if you're looking to move to monterey park, cost of living there is on par w/ east LA since they're neighboring cities. rent may or may not be as inexpensive compared to east coast, since real estate in socal is just ridiculous (even with the housing bust).

PCC is a community college, and tuition is relatively less expensive than larger schools (i.e. cal states, UC's, etc.). however, with state budget cuts, i'm not sure how much longer tuition will remain "relatively less expensive" (save that discussion for the debate section).

like VIPJOSH has said, make sure you are promised a job out here. that should be your first concern; everything else will fall into place after that.
Old 04-06-10, 11:17 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TWong1200
First off, stay away from Monterey Park and surrounding cities (San Gabriel, Alhambra) I grew up there and moved away. Too many dumb Asian drivers that can't drive. Add to that a gazillion cars and not to mention, the worse place for modded cars. Cops love em!

As others have said, Pasadena is a nice place with lots to do but is pricey. But, there are really bad parts of Pasadena as well that are not expensive but really aren't places I'd recommend living. Basically, anything north of the 210 freeway (for the most part), you want to stay away from.

If you plan on attending PCC, consider the city of Monrovia, which is just about five to 10 miles east of Pasadena. I've lived there when I first got married and my in-laws have been living there for twenty years. To top it off, there's a Pep Boys in Monrovia that's fairly busy, it seems.

Good luck!
Agree MPK has HORRIBLE drivers but its a nice community, you can go for walks and not think about getting jumped (most of the time) unlike el monte its pretty freaky to go for a walk.

PCC has the highest transfer rate out of all community colleges, i am currently attending this is my first year. Its pretty good school they'll make you work hard

Pasadena is pretty expensive. If you can get FAFSA it'll cover everything for college well just class fees etc not books sign up for EOP for book voucher i received $200.

Agreed also with netting a job before you come here. Make sure you have some back up money also just encase
Old 04-06-10, 11:22 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those people come from east coast to live say couple of things in common.
i believe one of them is cali has nice weather.. but you have to worry about earthquakes..
i have couple of frineds that live at Pasadena/Glendale area.. its nice area...
you should come down here for a visit and check out before you make a move.. thats what i did before movin to CA..
Old 04-06-10, 11:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

i will focus a bit more on education. i don't know about the WIT that you are majoring in computer engineering right now, but i suppose it's a college where you can get a BS degree in 4 years. if you are already almost 2 years up, that means you are done with freshman and sophomore. you should find a school where you can transfer most of your credits over otherwise you are wasting time

on to pcc, it's a community college, and as far as i know it's not a real college where you can get a BS degree. it's more like a stepping stone for you to transfer to a real college like UC or Calstate. i did that route with santa monica college, 2 years there and then transferred to ucla for another 2 yrs (junior and senior) for my BS degree.

so in your case, if you transfer over, you should be entering "real" college already. i am not sure how much help pcc would be.

of course, tuition will be a lot cheaper in pcc, but bottom line is you want to get your degree asap

others have covered expenses and where to live so i won't repeat
Old 04-07-10, 06:28 AM
Pspice
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by skitso1080
my friend just moved from boston down to orange county, she finished her masters at harvard and is now living at the beach.

Pasadena is a popping town, it can be expensive though so search through craigslist. If you find a place I sure people can give you input if its a cool place to live.

Are you gonna bring a uhaul truck cross country?
i dont really have much crap i was just going to take a few weeks of clothing then have my father send the rest of the stuff to me

as for my car i was gonna either have it shipped or drive idk which...
Old 04-07-10, 06:35 AM
Pspice
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
i will focus a bit more on education. i don't know about the WIT that you are majoring in computer engineering right now, but i suppose it's a college where you can get a BS degree in 4 years. if you are already almost 2 years up, that means you are done with freshman and sophomore. you should find a school where you can transfer most of your credits over otherwise you are wasting time

on to pcc, it's a community college, and as far as i know it's not a real college where you can get a BS degree. it's more like a stepping stone for you to transfer to a real college like UC or Calstate. i did that route with santa monica college, 2 years there and then transferred to ucla for another 2 yrs (junior and senior) for my BS degree.

so in your case, if you transfer over, you should be entering "real" college already. i am not sure how much help pcc would be.

of course, tuition will be a lot cheaper in pcc, but bottom line is you want to get your degree asap

others have covered expenses and where to live so i won't repeat
yeah i jus checked it out a little bit more i already got 2 years in a 4 year school so downgrading to a community college probably isnt the best idea

can anyone recommend some of the nicer schools in the area

so far on craigslist ive seen some awesome deals 500-1000 a month i havent asked if utilitys are included yet though that is a big factor

ive also used google maps to see how many pepboys are in the area n there seem to be quite a few transferring stores is a fairly easy process ive heard
Old 04-07-10, 07:31 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The larger universities (legit ones, not TV colleges ) are UCLA, Calstate Los Angeles, Loyola Marymount University, and there may be a few more.

It's best to take a trip down here for a few days before you decide. Factor in traffic if you need to commute because it could get UGLY.

Knowing that area, what the heck is your friend doing in Monterey Park that's "fun"? Actually don't answer
Old 04-07-10, 07:55 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Knowing that area, what the heck is your friend doing in Monterey Park that's "fun"? Actually don't answer
LMAO...yeah, don't answer that.
Old 04-07-10, 08:43 AM
Pspice
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TWong1200
LMAO...yeah, don't answer that.
is there something im not getting )_)?
Old 04-07-10, 08:57 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

MPK is pretty boring, not much to do there.. actually they are opening up something on atlantic and hellmen like a mini mall, traffic is going to be hell once it opens

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wisdom needed-Trying to move