CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Got pulled over by the cops in West Co....

Old 02-17-10, 10:57 AM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by aristo2369
I say that writing a report or filing something will produce more of a active reaction when it comes to the problem since its on record... emails and letters get deleted or discarded...
True that. I'll see what I can do.
Old 02-17-10, 11:09 AM
o6spdracer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry that happened to you. Keep us posted with the reponse from whoever you write the letter to.

A friend told me once to ask for the watch commander when you feel like you got pulled over for no reason. So their boss has to come out and make sure they do everything by the book. Most people are not aware of their rights and they know it and sometimes they take advantage of it.
Old 02-17-10, 11:32 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

^cops were blunt with you Jay. when i got pulled over, i asked them what the problem was. the officer's response "mexicans. camry. this fits a few car thefts thats been occuring over the past few months".....im friggin asian, and my dad was in the passenger seat next to me. dad and i had just hopped on the freeway after a workout session at the gym (old people need to work on their joints, too). totally disrespectful, but a harsh reality. i sent in my petition to have a claim filed (i have the officer's name, plate number, time of day, and where the "infraction" took place). this was almost two years ago, and after a few weeks, i got a call from my best friend's mom (CHP), and she said that he had been suspended without pay and got an apology from her on behalf of the CHP (the cop who pulled me over was CHP).

its not the fact that i got pulled over. that i could deal with. the cop was just so disrespectful and an arrogant SOB trying to intimidate what he thought was some punk kid, with my dad, an elder, in the front passenger seat. my dad was ready to defend me, but i told him not to, as i'd get him back later on. karma has a great way of working like that. i already had no front plate and tinted front windows, so i didnt want the a$$ to find anything else on me. the odd thing was, he didnt even write me a ticket. just gave me a lecture about how i should be careful at this time of day (it was 3pm when he pulled me over). whatever! after i got the call from my friend's mom, i immediately purchased my next car- the Neiman Marcus ISF. had to erase a low life in my life as quickly as possible. lets see him try to buy one with his salary...oops, what salary! (dont mean to sound arrogant, but he deserves it)
Old 02-17-10, 02:45 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

I have never met a nice cop or seen a cop do something helpful or nice in my lifetime.. I have always seen one or a group bothering ppl/harassing ppl/giving someone a ticket/ not doing their job.

and im not a troublemaker and i have no criminal record so dont say its cuz im the one doing something wrong so i just see the bad.

only on TV is when i see the "COP SAVES THE DAY" and we know how TV is always REAL! right!?

Its like when i got hit and run the cop didnt even want to bother to give me a report for my insurance company or look for the car after i showed him it was one of my gf's neighbors and there was no way any other car can hit me in the complex because it only 1 car length to enter and exit. the gate only opens with a remote in or out! he just stood there and sayed "are you sure it happened here" and im like WTF WOULD I CALL YOU NOW if i didnt happen right now -_- ... cops = useless
Old 02-17-10, 03:32 PM
balutsc300
Lead Lap

i was stopped in burbank for no reason, i was in my wife beater and shorts just going to subway for food and this cop stopped me and asked me all these questions like if i had illegal things in my car or if i was in parole etc. and then he finally asked if the car was mine!? to cut it short he just said i stopped you because your windows are tinted and i had the biggest wtf face considering i had my sunroof open and have the slightest tint on my passenger windows. oh well i guess he had suspicion but eh at least i didn't get any ticket
Old 02-17-10, 03:57 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess sometimes cops just get bored and want to get their adrenalin going.
Old 02-17-10, 04:25 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Print this out, fill it out to the best of your knowledge, make a copy, and get both notarized.

Give the copy to the commanding officer of the city you were detained in, and wait to see what happens.

Police Misconduct Report
Old 02-17-10, 06:14 PM
The UPS Store
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by emoshun
Print this out, fill it out to the best of your knowledge, make a copy, and get both notarized.

Give the copy to the commanding officer of the city you were detained in, and wait to see what happens.

Police Misconduct Report

Nice I'm going to print these out and hand them out to my friends.
Old 02-17-10, 11:28 PM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay
This kinda subject REALLY irritates me and get me in "pissy" mood !! First of all, 2 of my best friends are cops and my own sister works for the Feds, I want to say the Cops are doing their best jobs as possible and serving our community. (!?!?!) OK... maybe so.. But one thing I have to say is that every cops are not the same !!! Some are racists, some are dis-honest, or honest....etc.

I got rolled TWICE in one night off of Valley and Hacienda and Valley and Azusa one day, do you know what the reasons were ??? B/c I was an asian driving a fixed up GS in their exact words. Asked me to sit out on curb while they search ... They said they had a call, an asian gang drives Lexus selling dope or some sh@t ! After 30mins making scenes, they said "Sorry, here's your ID, have a great night". Is that it ?? Just ruin my f@#kin night and wasted my time and all they said was sorry?? .... man... I was just bummed out !! At least you need to explain more throughly and what was all about or anything ? aw well.....

I guess you just have to live with it and hopefully you'll get rolled by a "NICE" cop next !!

I get most of what youre trying to say.. I think. But, I highly doubt I will run into any "nice" cop.

Originally Posted by eliteskill
I have never met a nice cop or seen a cop do something helpful or nice in my lifetime.. I have always seen one or a group bothering ppl/harassing ppl/giving someone a ticket/ not doing their job.

and im not a troublemaker and i have no criminal record so dont say its cuz im the one doing something wrong so i just see the bad.

only on TV is when i see the "COP SAVES THE DAY" and we know how TV is always REAL! right!?

Its like when i got hit and run the cop didnt even want to bother to give me a report for my insurance company or look for the car after i showed him it was one of my gf's neighbors and there was no way any other car can hit me in the complex because it only 1 car length to enter and exit. the gate only opens with a remote in or out! he just stood there and sayed "are you sure it happened here" and im like WTF WOULD I CALL YOU NOW if i didnt happen right now -_- ... cops = useless
Seriously.. I agree with you. Cops are useless.

Originally Posted by emoshun

Police Misconduct Report
Thanks! Will do!
Old 02-22-10, 07:23 PM
Dez
Driver

Thanks for the info Pushin.
Old 02-26-10, 01:34 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We should seriously dedicate a SoCal thread to this issue so people can post their experiences with the police.

Update:

Factual Background:

Yesterday at 5pm I was driving home going south on Vermont in K-Town. I was the first car stoped in the right lane at the intersection of Vermont/11th.
My window are 80% down, but you can still clearly see that the front windows are tinted.

Confrontation:

At the red light, a dark blue Chevy Malibu slowly creeps on my right hand side, as if to make a right on red. Car stops parallel to me. His windows are down and so are mine. In the car, two middle age Asian men, probably in their low to mid 30's. Clean cut, probably Korean. Mind you, car is completely unmarked, not even "CA Exempt" plates and they are in civillian attire. There is absolutely nothing that would identify them as police from first impression.

Driver says, "Can I have a chat w/ you? You have tinted windows don't you?"
Me, "Why? Ya, I do."
Driver: No comment, he just showed me his badge around his neck, hanging from a chain. Then says, "Let me see your driver's license."

Undercover Cop. Probably on drug or gang detail.

Me, "Why do you want to talk to me again?"
Driver, "You fit the profile of a suspect we are looking for. Modified Lexus. Lowered with wheels and tinted windows. Asian male with shaved head. Let me see your license."
Me, "Can I see your badge again?"
Driver: Shows me the badge. I take a close look at it. Its legit. From what I can tell and infer from experience, these guys walk, talk, look, and smell like cops. Probably on Asian gang detail.
Me, "Sure. I'm just going home. I'm a law student. My school's down the street." I hand the officer my license AND my law school student ID.
Driver, "You're not on probation, parole, no outstanding warrants, no drugs in the car?"
Me, "Of course not officer."
Driver, "Okay, I just had to check b/c you fit the profile. Don't worry about the tinted windows." He hands me back my IDs.
This all happened during the red light. Light turns green, and he passes me and drives off.

Analysis:

I thought about this last night for a while. In this situation, the police had no PC to pull me over or arrest me. I noticed him following me for a while, and I"m sure he ran my plates. Everything is up to speed with my registration, insurance, and tags. I make sure I don't have any busted taillights.
Technically, what he did was legal. Although profiling is technically illegal, it does give the police a good faith belief to investigate profile matches.
Here, the officer made no stop or detention. He illicted a consensual conversation with me, which is legal. When I continued the conversation and gave him my ID, my conduct counts as implied consent even though I didn't expressly say, "Sure officer I give you consent to talk with me." At any time, I could have driven off.
Now if he actually pulled me over and tried to search my car, I would have definitely exercised by 4th Amendment Constitutional right to privacy in my person, property, papers, and effects. If he pulled me over for tints, he could only give me a fix it ticket.

Lesson I learned:

First, drive with your windows down whenever you can if you're tinted! Especially on the side streets.

Second, I need to by mindful of keeping all my registration and tags up to date (which I did). Check your taillights to make sure they're all in working order. Do not give the cops a reason to stop you.

Finally, don't push it and be polite. I'm in law school and seriously wanted to give them a piece of my mind. But there was no reason to. Don't push the cops, but also be mindful of when the police have infringed your rights. Be very aware of your situation, pay attention, and think before you do or say anything. Be calm, but also be assertive. Cops are just like other people. If you **** them off, they will try and find any justification to give you a hard time.

Sorry for the long post, I just thought you guys would be interested.

Chris
Old 02-26-10, 03:59 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^
isnt 'fitting the profile of a suspect they are looking for' suffice probable cause to intiate a stop?
Old 02-26-10, 04:37 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jay
This kinda subject REALLY irritates me and get me in "pissy" mood !! First of all, 2 of my best friends are cops and my own sister works for the Feds, I want to say the Cops are doing their best jobs as possible and serving our community. (!?!?!) OK... maybe so.. But one thing I have to say is that every cops are not the same !!! Some are racists, some are dis-honest, or honest....etc.

I got rolled TWICE in one night off of Valley and Hacienda and Valley and Azusa one day, do you know what the reasons were ??? B/c I was an asian driving a fixed up GS in their exact words. Asked me to sit out on curb while they search ... They said they had a call, an asian gang drives Lexus selling dope or some sh@t ! After 30mins making scenes, they said "Sorry, here's your ID, have a great night". Is that it ?? Just ruin my f@#kin night and wasted my time and all they said was sorry?? .... man... I was just bummed out !! At least you need to explain more throughly and what was all about or anything ? aw well.....

I guess you just have to live with it and hopefully you'll get rolled by a "NICE" cop next !!
well look at it this way, they do pull over gang member and parole caught with drugs this way. Also there's been a lot of car to car shooting over road rage.
Old 02-26-10, 06:38 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is PC and reasonable suspicion. PC requires a higher burden of proof and you need PC in order to arrest or search w/out a warrant.

On the other hand, reasonable suspicion allows the police to investigate, question, and detain suspects lawfully, and in good faith. Detention is not quite an arrest, but is right before an arrest. If further facts develop, then reasonable suspicion can develop into PC.

Here, the undercovers only had reasonable suspicion, that's why they just briefly questioned me.

Basically, reasonable suspicion is a lower burden of proof for the State to prove, and is established easier and before PC is established.

In my case, in order for the undercovers to have established PC on me, they would need objective proof directly linking me to the profile more than just their subjective belief or suspicion. i.e.) If my tags came back matching the suspect car. The police need more than a hunch or suspicion to develop bona fide PC. But a hunch or subjective suspicion is enough for them to have a "reasonable suspicion."

Lastly, the police don't have to have been correct in hindsight. So long as a magistrate determines that the police were reasonable in developing reasonable suspicion or PC, a respondent's motion to suppress will fail.

Hope that cleared it up for you Jason.
Old 02-26-10, 09:18 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^
i figured you wouldve just had your bro show his guns and they'd back off! lol he's huge iirc!
hahahha!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got pulled over by the cops in West Co....