CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Official SoCal tint thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-06, 04:39 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-1 for California Tint. If they charge about $100, they are using Johnson film, which turns purple wihin 2-3 years. Then you'll need to strip the tint, and get it redone, and you'll end up wasting money.
Old 05-23-06, 08:29 PM
2jzsc3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by milky
-1 for California Tint. If they charge about $100, they are using Johnson film, which turns purple wihin 2-3 years. Then you'll need to strip the tint, and get it redone, and you'll end up wasting money.
I've had 5 of my cars done at Cali Tint since I was in high school in the last 5 years.. Tint is in perfect shape on all of the cars, no purpling here... Peter is good at what he does and he does offer a lifetime warranty on his work..

Cali Tint gets a from me
Old 05-23-06, 09:48 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Every shop has its fans and haters (I'm not saying you're wrong milky), so do your research and just choose the shop that you feel most comfortable with.
Old 05-24-06, 05:03 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2jzsc3
I've had 5 of my cars done at Cali Tint since I was in high school in the last 5 years.. Tint is in perfect shape on all of the cars, no purpling here... Peter is good at what he does and he does offer a lifetime warranty on his work..

Cali Tint gets a from me
Im not sure if California tint used Johnson film on all 5 of your cars or not., so i cant say that your tint has turned purple. I know Peter, and their warranty is great, but its not the problem with the tinter, rather the film that they use. You can have the best tinter in the world, and your tint may still turn purple in the near future.

The reason i say that California Tint's film turns purple is because i worked down the street from them at ProTint. Ive had numerous customers come to our shop showing us their purple tint (from California Tint) and wanting us to strip their tint down and retint it for them. Aside from that, a couple of my friends have also tinted their cars their and the tint is now purple.

They have other films too, so if you paid more, or they used a different film (solargard, 3m) then your tint will not turn purple. This is just my experience with them, but hey, if they give you great service, and your tint is to your liking, then by all means, send all your cars there
Old 05-24-06, 07:42 PM
liquid2
Pole Position

^ to the guy above since he was a tinter

Whats the best bang fo your buck type film?
I'm gunna retint my ls400 and i dont want to spend too much, but i just want something of a decent tint..
(cutting corners to get taillights LOL)
Old 05-24-06, 08:05 PM
blisiono
Lexus Test Driver

i got my tint done at tint man on valley and it turned out great. there's this other place on nogales near the alamo car wash called rich's tint shop and i heard that they were good too. you just need to shop around if you want the best quality you can get.
Old 05-24-06, 08:19 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

yeah this sounds about right... when i was at Cali Tint, they showed me 3 types of tint... the cheapest, which they said would turn purple in about 3 yrs... the middle price which would stay black for like 10 yrs or somthing and the most expensive one was the mirror type which they said wouldn't turn color
Old 05-24-06, 08:30 PM
jinetix
Pole Position

I went to Solar Eclipse in Woodland Hills to get my RSX tinted a while back and they did a good job. They carry the standard Madico films though. I had the RSX tinted with Madico Charcool.

I got my IS350 tinted at Songs Master Tinting in Los Angeles but the tint has some kind of weird texture to it.. so I don't really recommend them. I have the IS tinted with Huper Optik Ceramic on fronts & windshield, and Madico Charcool on the back.
Old 05-25-06, 01:01 AM
milky
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by liquid2
^ to the guy above since he was a tinter

Whats the best bang fo your buck type film?
I'm gunna retint my ls400 and i dont want to spend too much, but i just want something of a decent tint..
(cutting corners to get taillights LOL)
Well at the tint shop i worked at, we used Solarguard HP Charcoal film, which is not the best film you can get, but it definately wont fade after 3 years. Every tint shop is different, and they will charge you differently according to what car you have, type of film you are getting.. etc. Every shop's labor rate is different as well, but the most important thing is just knowing the type of tint you are getting.

I would say the average price for a sedan w/ good tint should cost about $160 or so. Anything less, they may be using a cheap film, or you might be getting a real good deal, but i doubt it. Call around your local tint shops and see what they charge, and make sure to ask them what type of film they use.

Oh, and you are getting a retint? that means they have to strip off your purple tint that you currently have and then retint. Its not going to be cheap. It might cost you an extra 100$ to take off your tint, because your back window has to be steamed so that you can still use your rear window defroster.
Old 05-28-06, 01:00 AM
UAL
Rookie

I went with Window Tints Etc. on Santa Monica. Used them for years and wouldn't go with any other company...quite a drive for me, but it's always worth it.
Old 05-28-06, 01:20 AM
KTGS300
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I ended up going with Tint Zone in Rowland Heights after calling around my area including Rich's Tint shop. I talked to both of their tinters (Dave and Chris) and saw them in action. I felt comfortable enough to go with them. They are also just around the corner from me, so anything goes wrong I could just drop by to have them fix. Paid $160 for 2 front / 2 rear side windows + 1 rear window with lifetime warranty. I went with the Solargard HP Titanium film. It came out great on my black GS. I would take some pictures, but the adhesive is still drying.

Last edited by KTGS300; 05-28-06 at 01:37 AM.
Old 05-29-06, 01:36 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been giving California Tint years and years of Business. Peter is a great friend. Always a joker!

I actually went to Pro Tint ONCE, only because my friend said he can get me a group discount because we tinted like 3 cars. I actually ended up PAYING ALOT MORE for the tint job, and employee REALLY hammered in my foot pedal e-brake so far in, I had a hard time getting the e-brake off. I actually regretted going there, and I gave my friend a really hard time because he promised me a deal, the only sole reason I went there.

Years ago I had a friend who called Pro tint for a price quote, got a decent price, drove down there, then got a bait & switch price. Naturally, he left the premises.

There are always two sides here. So I'm only posting my experience.

Only this time, I will be taking my IS to Song's Tint Masters, only because I want to get Madico Tint for my car, California Tint doesn't carry them.

Last edited by pocky; 05-29-06 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-30-06, 12:06 AM
milky
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pocky
I have been giving California Tint years and years of Business. Peter is a great friend. Always a joker!

I actually went to Pro Tint ONCE, only because my friend said he can get me a group discount because we tinted like 3 cars. I actually ended up PAYING ALOT MORE for the tint job, and employee REALLY hammered in my foot pedal e-brake so far in, I had a hard time getting the e-brake off. I actually regretted going there, and I gave my friend a really hard time because he promised me a deal, the only sole reason I went there.

Years ago I had a friend who called Pro tint for a price quote, got a decent price, drove down there, then got a bait & switch price. Naturally, he left the premises.

There are always two sides here. So I'm only posting my experience.

Only this time, I will be taking my IS to Song's Tint Masters, only because I want to get Madico Tint for my car, California Tint doesn't carry them.
Yeah, California tint is ~$100, while Protint may charge ~$160, depending on your car and if it has matrix or package tray. Never said Protint was cheaper, i was only talking about the quality of tint that you would receive.

About the bait and switch, im sure every business does that. Naturally if you call over the phone, you'll get the lowest price, which is probably rear 3 windows w/out driver&passenger windows, w/ a lower quality tint. if you go into the store, they'll probably try to upsell you and get you higher quality tint which is gonna be a bit more expensive. I think i saw California tint advertising $69 tint as well.

I'm not trying to defend any tint shop, just trying to prove a point: you get what you pay for, right?
Old 05-30-06, 12:30 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, California tint is ~$100, while Protint may charge ~$160, depending on your car and if it has matrix or package tray. Never said Protint was cheaper, i was only talking about the quality of tint that you would receive.

About the bait and switch, im sure every business does that. Naturally if you call over the phone, you'll get the lowest price, which is probably rear 3 windows w/out driver&passenger windows, w/ a lower quality tint. if you go into the store, they'll probably try to upsell you and get you higher quality tint which is gonna be a bit more expensive. I think i saw California tint advertising $69 tint as well.

I'm not trying to defend any tint shop, just trying to prove a point: you get what you pay for, right?
Right, That's how all business are on advertised paper. But when I call and get a quote, I make sure exactly what I ask for and I better get that price when I walk into the store.

I agree with the "You get what your pay for deal". I like the tint quality I got from California Tint. But I guess it helps to state that I did not get the cheap film, but opt for the higher quality film instead.
Old 05-30-06, 01:24 AM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KTGS300
I ended up going with Tint Zone in Rowland Heights after calling around my area including Rich's Tint shop. I talked to both of their tinters (Dave and Chris) and saw them in action. I felt comfortable enough to go with them. They are also just around the corner from me, so anything goes wrong I could just drop by to have them fix. Paid $160 for 2 front / 2 rear side windows + 1 rear window with lifetime warranty. I went with the Solargard HP Titanium film. It came out great on my black GS. I would take some pictures, but the adhesive is still drying.
+1 for those guys! I paid 140 for my IS350 22% film. they do a really good job and fast too!

Quick Reply: Official SoCal tint thread