CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

What's going on with Backyard Creations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 07:18 PM
idrivean8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS250SoCal
any places in the 909/951 area that do good paint jobs? Gonna get some estimates on my hood.
My painter's located in Rancho (might be a little far for you). He did a great job on my front bumper and side skirts and recently painted my friend's is350s roof spoiler. He also doesn't charge an arm and a leg for his work.

In case you wanted to get an estimate:
Makito Nakai (of 7apple)
(310)972-8529
Old 01-07-09, 11:55 PM
IS250SoCal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by idrivean8
My painter's located in Rancho (might be a little far for you). He did a great job on my front bumper and side skirts and recently painted my friend's is350s roof spoiler. He also doesn't charge an arm and a leg for his work.

Makito Nakai (of 7apple)
(310)972-8529
Thanks!

Rancho isnt far at all. Should I drop your name? PM me and let me know.
Old 01-09-09, 10:41 PM
M1_autospt
Banned for NON PAYMENT

Hit us up M1 AutoBody
11668 Ramona blvd
El Monte CA

626- 575-4835

tell them AJ sent , I get special prices!
Old 01-09-09, 10:47 PM
DY3VERSITY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by idrivean8

Makito Nakai (of 7apple)
(310)972-8529
+1

Makito does great work for my brother and I! He cares more about the quality of his work then the money he earns!
Old 01-10-09, 03:18 PM
2JZIS3
Driver School Candidate

+1 For Platinum VIP
Old 01-17-09, 11:28 PM
bstuff
Driver School Candidate

call joe his cell (626) 922-3434 Backyard Creations
Old 01-21-09, 12:21 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

platinum VIP ftw.

You know the guys is dedicated to working on cars when they do stuff most other shops wouldn't touch. Not to mention kennedy very often shows up at meets (and not just the large ones).
Old 02-01-09, 09:38 PM
912inc
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dtm996c5
Joe at backyard creations, needless to say. Highly recommend staying away. I have dealt with the guy along with all of my other buddies for years. We had few problems here and there, eventually got to this situation. I had an insurance work that he was suppose to complete over two months ago.

The guy never shows up at the shop when promised (happend ridiculously many times) Never answers the phone, unless he feels like it. Apparently, he has issues going on with this family or whatever he is blaming on. Bottom line, he still has a business that he should be responsible for, and when promised, it should be delivered as per agreement. Bringing up constant bull****, and making up lies and excuses one after another is definetely far away from being professional by anyone's standards.

Finally, after trying to put up with the guy's bs I have decided to move the car to another shop. Now we all know the times are tough financially for most businesses, but no way in hell is it right for any shop to just cash the check from insurance company and use it up for personal matters, and pretend like it is taking forever to recieve parts, in which was never ordered apparently.

Now the major bull**** part is the fact that joe is being very unprofessional, major lack of communication, and claims that he has sent the money to insurance company. However, it's been two weeks and insurance company states that they have not yet recieved any letter or check, and not even a returned phone call from backyard autobody.

One of my other buddy, which some of you might have seen at the bbq opening that joe had his shop, it was a vandalized bmw m3 convertible (white). which the car was sitting there for quite some time due to lack of joe's devoted time and effort as promised. not to mention, joe actually decided to take the money that my friend gave him for a new set of rims, gave the rims to someone else, and decides to keep the money by claiming that it's storage fee, without even prior notice or a bill.

Bottom line, the guy is very shady for a long time, and he is getting into a bad habbit of doing so, especially with the given economy, I guess he is pushing his luck trying to survive... Just wanted to let people know ahead before any of you guys go through the same bs that either one of us had to go through. As a note, my car still has not been worked on although this was suppose to be handled back in november 08. I got ripped off, and recieved an inappropriate threats and gestures from the guy, and of course, never got the money back yet.

Hope this helps somewhat to answering the topic questionaire.
Wow... sorry to hear that
Old 02-02-09, 11:22 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

As for the guys above with 2 posts, I'll take that for what it's worth.
Apparently he has an axe to grind, perhaps rightfully so, but there are
two sides to every story.

I've known Joe a long time and I have never found him to be dishonest
or crooked in any way. In fact, he has become a close friend over the
years and we have done many projects together.

And he does fantastic work.

In his defense, for the last year or so he has been dealing with family issues
including his father, who is VERY ill. And now he and his wife have a newborn;
she was VERY premature.

The shop is still open, but they are not really looking to take on any new
work in the short term. My MR2 is up there, I check on it every 10 days
or so, and progress IS being made... but I have no crucial deadline for
the completion of this car. Frankly, if it was finished tomorrow I would
not have a place to put it...

I don't know about you guys, but for me FAMILY COMES FIRST!!!

Joe and his family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 02-02-09, 02:05 PM
sirblinks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dtm996c5
Joe at backyard creations, needless to say. Highly recommend staying away. I have dealt with the guy along with all of my other buddies for years. We had few problems here and there, eventually got to this situation. I had an insurance work that he was suppose to complete over two months ago.

The guy never shows up at the shop when promised (happend ridiculously many times) Never answers the phone, unless he feels like it. Apparently, he has issues going on with this family or whatever he is blaming on. Bottom line, he still has a business that he should be responsible for, and when promised, it should be delivered as per agreement. Bringing up constant bull****, and making up lies and excuses one after another is definetely far away from being professional by anyone's standards.

Finally, after trying to put up with the guy's bs I have decided to move the car to another shop. Now we all know the times are tough financially for most businesses, but no way in hell is it right for any shop to just cash the check from insurance company and use it up for personal matters, and pretend like it is taking forever to recieve parts, in which was never ordered apparently.

Now the major bull**** part is the fact that joe is being very unprofessional, major lack of communication, and claims that he has sent the money to insurance company. However, it's been two weeks and insurance company states that they have not yet recieved any letter or check, and not even a returned phone call from backyard autobody.

One of my other buddy, which some of you might have seen at the bbq opening that joe had his shop, it was a vandalized bmw m3 convertible (white). which the car was sitting there for quite some time due to lack of joe's devoted time and effort as promised. not to mention, joe actually decided to take the money that my friend gave him for a new set of rims, gave the rims to someone else, and decides to keep the money by claiming that it's storage fee, without even prior notice or a bill.

Bottom line, the guy is very shady for a long time, and he is getting into a bad habbit of doing so, especially with the given economy, I guess he is pushing his luck trying to survive... Just wanted to let people know ahead before any of you guys go through the same bs that either one of us had to go through. As a note, my car still has not been worked on although this was suppose to be handled back in november 08. I got ripped off, and recieved an inappropriate threats and gestures from the guy, and of course, never got the money back yet.

Hope this helps somewhat to answering the topic questionaire.

i agree, same thing happened to me, but at that time he had no issues that i know of.

And yes, i agree family comes first, but if you RUN YOUR OWN BUSINESS, your Business is part of your family. Not saying dump the family issues you have going on now, but make sure your WORK business is being handled properly. We all understand he may be a good friend to other CL's here, but it is a business, and if you want to keep a reputation and your business going, hire someone who can run your shop while you handle your personal life. Not like you can go to starbucks, order a coffee and they F it up and say sorry, i got personal issues just drink what i made you?!?
Old 02-02-09, 03:58 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sirblinks
i agree, same thing happened to me, but at that time he had no issues that i know of.

And yes, i agree family comes first, but if you RUN YOUR OWN BUSINESS, your Business is part of your family. Not saying dump the family issues you have going on now, but make sure your WORK business is being handled properly. We all understand he may be a good friend to other CL's here, but it is a business, and if you want to keep a reputation and your business going, hire someone who can run your shop while you handle your personal life. Not like you can go to starbucks, order a coffee and they F it up and say sorry, i got personal issues just drink what i made you?!?
To some extent, I will say "point taken," but when your family is not healthy and demands are placed on you to take care of the family and family business, sometimes other things get placed on hold.

Owning a shop was Joe's lifelong dream. His Dad helped him build his first custom car, a classic Mini Cooper with a mid-mounted MR2 Supercharged powerplant.

Currently, his Dad's life is in jeopardy, his mom is ill (both are in the Phillipines) and he has a one-month daughter in ICU having procedures like blood transfusions done. Somehow, silly things like running a body shop don't seem that important compared with all the other stuff on his plate. And finding a competent body shop manager isn't that easy, believe it or not. Interviewing people, running background checks, calling references, etc. all takes time - time that would potentially rob Joe of valuable and precious time with his family.

I think I can speak for Joe when I tell you that he doesn't want to see that dream ruined, but right now there are more important things on his "to do" list.

The shop is still open, albeit running on only two cylinders. I think that recently they've been good about not taking on time-intense or complicated custom projects, as Joe physically can't be there to manage the shop and employees.

Frankly, in a similar situation, most people would have closed-up shop for good and walked away by now, especially given the lousy economy.
Old 02-02-09, 04:32 PM
sirblinks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
To some extent, I will say "point taken," but when your family is not healthy and demands are placed on you to take care of the family and family business, sometimes other things get placed on hold.

Owning a shop was Joe's lifelong dream. His Dad helped him build his first custom car, a classic Mini Cooper with a mid-mounted MR2 Supercharged powerplant.

Currently, his Dad's life is in jeopardy, his mom is ill (both are in the Phillipines) and he has a one-month daughter in ICU having procedures like blood transfusions done. Somehow, silly things like running a body shop don't seem that important compared with all the other stuff on his plate. And finding a competent body shop manager isn't that easy, believe it or not. Interviewing people, running background checks, calling references, etc. all takes time - time that would potentially rob Joe of valuable and precious time with his family.

I think I can speak for Joe when I tell you that he doesn't want to see that dream ruined, but right now there are more important things on his "to do" list.

The shop is still open, albeit running on only two cylinders. I think that recently they've been good about not taking on time-intense or complicated custom projects, as Joe physically can't be there to manage the shop and employees.

Frankly, in a similar situation, most people would have closed-up shop for good and walked away by now, especially given the lousy economy.
No No, what is going on with his family, he has every right to take time off and what not. my issue i had with him was before he had all this drama, but then he has a partner, and everytime i talk to him, it sounds like he has no idea what's going on and always says, talk to joe when he's back. im like uh...ok, so what if something were to happen how would you guys handle it if hes not around. and now, look what happened. my car wasn't done the way joe said it would be, but at that time, i was fed up with the run around and just took my car back and brought it to my friends shop to fix what he didnt say he was going to fix. i told him i won't bash him even though he made promises he didnt keep. But like I said, if you own a business, and something were to happen, always make sure you got someone there ( which should be his partner brandon) that can handle it.
Old 02-02-09, 08:45 PM
redlex15
Rookie

Text messages I received from Joe earlier this evening:

"Yes very hard time for me and my family. Baby still hospital. Please tell everybody that i'm sorry for not returning their phone calls and i'm not at shop"

"Thanks to all. I have to be with my family. Thanks for everybody's prayers"

Take care of the family, Joe. My prayers are with you and your family. You still got a customer here, when you get back.

Last edited by redlex15; 02-02-09 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-02-09, 09:20 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still do not believe that is a way to run any business. Sounds like he needs a manager or someone there to run their day to day operations instead of using his personal cell phone as a business line.

After hearing all of this bs, I am glad my GF did not use his shop.
Old 02-02-09, 09:40 PM
sirblinks
Lexus Test Driver

well brandon supposed to be his right hand man. i guess he doesn't know what he's doing?

Quick Reply: What's going on with Backyard Creations?