CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Any1 fight speeding ticket before?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 11:18 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Any1 fight speeding ticket before?

So today was my first day back in LA and also got my first ever speeding ticket....

I was cruising at 75-80 mph on the I-10W, going with the flow of the left (fast) lane...

When I signal to change to the right lane (approaching exit), a police car flashes the red/blue light, asked me to stop at the nearest exit and bla bla...(license, registration)

The officer told me I was going too fast, so I told the officer that I was going with the flow of the traffic.

Still I ended up getting a ticket stating that I was doing 79 Mph.

Anyhow, I was wondering if any1 had ever contest a speeding ticket before by mail/writing? Any tips or your previous letter/documents that you could share with me?

Thanks guy!
Old 08-25-08, 11:32 PM
kalristo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

wow im in the same boat i got a ticket in oregon for going 22 over though
what a waste of 427 dollars!
Old 08-25-08, 11:39 PM
TEXASMAJOR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just get one of those ticket lawyers....
Old 08-25-08, 11:58 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

how much was that? i was told from a friend that if i was doing less than 15mph it will be around $100-150...over than that it will be 200-250 dollars...not sure if it is true....

just dun want to give $150 donation to the police...
Old 08-26-08, 12:39 AM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

What you can do is fight it, and tell the judge that there was no traffic and you were driving at a speed which was in your judgement was not a danger to anyone since the 10 freeway probably posted "Speed limit 65" and not "Maximum Speed Limit 65" therefore meaning that in law, technically, Speed Limit refers to what they believe is safe during traffic hrs, and at night when there is no traffic at all, you are actually allowed to go over that since there are no cars.

OR

What you can try to do is fight it, go to court, if the cop shows up, just plead guilty and take traffic school, also try asking the judge for a discount, or a payment plan at least, let the judge know you are a student, so that way, you wont have to shed 3 bills.
If the cop doesn't show up, you win automatically.

Good luck!
Old 08-26-08, 12:51 AM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

If you say "going with the flow of the traffic" that's not going to help your case....
Old 08-26-08, 06:11 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

thanks guys...

i would want to contest this ticket first by writing to them, but I do not know how/what to write...lol...

any tips?
Old 08-26-08, 06:59 AM
Downfall75
Lead Lap

You need to find the Trial by Declaration form anywhere on the web. It will ask you for proof of why you feel that you were wrongly accused for receiving the ticket. If the cop feels that writing to respond to your written statement is not worth his time, then you win. If you do end up losing, you can still request an actual court date and just postpone it over and over again until the memory becomes fuzzy in the cops mind.
Your speed is not that bad, anyway. You can probably go in, pay a fine of probably $300 - $400, and request traffic school to get that point removed. But don't waste your time on a traffic lawyer with something you can do yourself. I'm guessing you received V.C. 22349?

Trial by Declaration: http://trial-by-declaration.com/Tria...ion-Forms.html

Last edited by Downfall75; 08-26-08 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-26-08, 03:15 PM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I contested mine by written trial, failed, so i got the appeal in court thing. The officer didn't show up in court so I got my $ for bail back.

Just mail a bunch of letters to the court, no point in showing up to run the paperwork. Only show up to court if you really have to, imo.
Old 08-26-08, 05:06 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Welcome back Eric
Old 08-26-08, 08:12 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

thanks Isaac,

i heard from a friend that if you do less than 15 mph above speed limit, the fine is about $144 and above 15 Mph is $244 or $266....

any1 can confirm?

Any1 else has success contesting their speeding ticket?
Old 08-27-08, 11:51 AM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

See the thing with your ticket is that you basically admitted you were speeding by saying "I was going with the flow of traffic." I actually heard a few stories when people said exactly that and they lost in court because that's just another way of saying, "Look officer, everyone's doing it!"
Old 08-27-08, 10:46 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

true but i dun think the officer will remember what i said.....and now i know that i won't use that as a defense...thanks...
Old 08-27-08, 11:08 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

waitt.. you're telling me you wanna fight this ticket just so you don't have to pay the fine? what about insurance? here in canada (or at least ontario).. insurance is waaaayyyy higher than it is for people in the states.. any ticket you receive (excluding parking) will result in an increase in your premium most of the time.. i really wouldn't mind paying the fine as long as the insurance premium doesn't go up.. which it would here..
you worried about insurance going up or just the fine?
Old 08-27-08, 11:13 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by radicalrev
true but i dun think the officer will remember what i said.....and now i know that i won't use that as a defense...thanks...
He'll have it written on the back of his copy of the ticket, he'll remember what you said. Don't count on him forgetting it.

Quick Reply: Any1 fight speeding ticket before?