CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

man..first ticket!! I can't believe this..

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-08, 01:39 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ that's a bit harsh. They do their job and we do ours. That's the way it goes.
Old 06-25-08, 01:46 AM
FLAVAH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hopefully he doesnt show up in court. but if he does, its his word against yours, and no matter what you say or an attorney says, im pretty sure theyll take his side... theres stuff like that ticket assassin or whatever stuff thatll probably help! good luck!
Old 06-25-08, 02:02 AM
RVN
Rookie

Sorry to hear what happened. I am not sure what's going on these days but I have seen cops left and right pulling people here in sf and elsewhere. Like as if the department needs to pay for renovation or something.

My girl got pulled over recently too and the officier claimed she was speeding. I wasn't there but she said she was going 35 which was the speed limit and the cop about 2 blocks away sped up and pulled her over and said she was doing 55. I know she should have asked for the print out but I think she was too nervous and forgot.

If the courtesy letter does not come, are we clear or do we still have to go down personally since we don't know how much it is? She has 5 days left until the 30 day period and no letter.

SeOuLiS250 and 2slow keep us posted. I'll try to do the same as she plans to contest also.

SeOuLiS250: good luck
Old 06-25-08, 06:23 AM
SebsIS350
Driver

sorry to hear that bro.. yea i got nailed for running a red... but i was actually running it lol. It was like 12am..and i was in the industrial area and there was NOBODY anywhere.. and the only lights i see were coming over a hill about 1 km away as i run the red..sure enough.. it was a cop lol.

So what i did is pleaded quilty with a plea bargain which lowered my sentence from running the light (140 dollar fine plus 3 demerit points) to a 110 dollar fine and no demerit points.
Old 06-25-08, 06:23 AM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depending on the type of ticket you may not even get points. If you had time and were willing run to the court house where you would pay your ticket and ask them if this type of ticket will add points to your license. So if no points were added to your license i am pretty sure it wont affect your insurance rates at all, especially since this is your first ticket.

about a year ago i recieved a ticket for the violation of a traffic control device. which was crap but it was just a fine and didnt add any points so instead of wasting time in court i just paid it and got on with life.
Old 06-25-08, 10:53 AM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

running a red light in california costs 321 bucks
Old 06-25-08, 10:59 AM
orlando628
Pole Position

first week having my car i got pull over and arrested for cutting 2 ppl off to get on to my exisit = / which is consider weckless driving - -
Old 06-25-08, 11:00 AM
orlando628
Pole Position

best to take it to a ticket client which is like 70 bucks to 150 im not sure hoiw much it over there but here in miami it is 80
Old 06-25-08, 11:52 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

I dont know how Cali laws are....but here in New York, If you hire a Lawyer, you dont have to appear, the Lawyer goes by himself and gets the ticket thrown out...
Old 06-25-08, 12:10 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

-RVN-
thanks for the support!! it's so true that cops are everywhere nowadays..
hope everything goes well with your girl's ticket..
and I believe that you still have to show up for the court date or
take care(meaning paying the fine) before the court date even tho you
don't receive the courtesy letter! but please correct me if I'm wrong

-SebsIS350-
how did you do a "plea bargain"??

thanks everyone!!! you guys are being a great help and support!!!
I'm gonna find out how much it will cost me to get an attorney so
wish me a luck!!!
Old 06-25-08, 12:29 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i don't think you can do a plea bargain here in cali. getting a lawyer to handle your ticket is probably not cost-effective either.

if i were you, there are two ways around this: the long way, and the short way.

the long way is to opt for the 60-day extension, then do a trial by declaration. upside is, you get to make your case in writing; the ticketing officer will have to do the same. your hope is that he/she is too busy to make his case in writing. downside is that traffic school is no longer an option. btw, make sure your letter remains objective, and include facts that support your claim that the ticket should be overturned. that usually helps to swing things in your favor. it usually works, but there is always the chance that the ticketing officer is savvy enough to state his claim in writing...

if the judge does not rule in your favor, you have the option for a trial de novo, at which time both you and the ticketing officer have to appear in front of a judge to present each respective's side of the case. if the judge still does not rule in your favor, you're probably SOL.

the short way is to just pay the fine and go to traffic school (or elect to do an online traffic school).

good luck.
Old 06-25-08, 03:40 PM
HELLAFLUSH
Lead Lap

Ouch! Thats Berkeley police for ya. Dont hire an liar. Save your money. Just show up to court and tell the truthful story to the judge and they may give you a break. After all, you are not guilty right?
Old 06-25-08, 03:56 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

so if I request for a trial either by showing up or in writing, I'll lose the
option of going to traffic school??

and yes,,I am not guilty about this stupid ticket..never done anything
in my life to get a ticket..I was brain washed while I was in the Marine Corps
to drive safely..I even had to take some driving safety course classes
while I was in the Corps..
man,,this sucks!
Old 06-25-08, 05:42 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

^ i believe so, although you can request traffic school and/or reduced fine if the judge does not rule in your favor. unfortunately, whether your request is granted or not is up to the judge.

if you are fairly confident about the legality of your ticket, i would fight it.
Old 06-25-08, 08:06 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

i guess I gotta go talk to a lawyer first..

hate NorCal cops..

Quick Reply: man..first ticket!! I can't believe this..