CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

kids you look too young to touch this car

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-08, 01:11 PM
dk0515
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By now, I'm used to being treated a certain way because of the factors PushinLex stated. However, I just learned to not to care to much since I do contribute to those judgments since I still dress the way I do. But, what really makes a difference is when someone sees you and still gives you respect no matter what you look like. Only dealership that gave me that respect was an Acura dealership and the salesperson was around 45 years old. To bad I decided to buy a lex .
Old 02-22-08, 01:36 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I get different treatment when I roll in in my SC and in mom's 7 series. Wearing pretty much the same thing, decent pants and a dress shirt. I seem to get better treatment when rolling in the 7... =( even though I'm at the Lexus dealership.

Edit: I'm only 20... =\

Last edited by Baoser; 02-22-08 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-22-08, 02:52 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 574 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
joe, i know, that was exactly why i went there to take a look. i went to the back and the car wasn't there anymore, so i figured they sold it already after your visit. so i proceeded to go downstairs.

see, even i saw the key and everything in the is-f, i was courteous. didn't pop the hood, start the car, or anything. just opened the door, checked out the leather, and sat in it to get a feeling of the car.

oh well
I honestly think that was part of the sales guy's problem. He had no problem with you wandering, but when you were in the F his "oh $(*&" alarm went off

My best dealer experience was at Penske MB in West Covina around January. The guy was courteous even after we told him up front that we weren't going to buy until August of this year.
Old 02-22-08, 03:10 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's just luck of the draw. Very few Lexus dealerships contain all bad people, but it's impossible not to hire an a-hole once in a while. Maybe the dude just got reamed by his manager when some guy was by himself in the car and puked or something. Who knows. I'm not trying to defend the dealerships or anything, but it's not all roses in any service profession.

I got decent treatment by all the Lexus sales reps except one from Lexus of Ontario (and that was over the phone). I have gotten absolutely BLASTED at BMW, Audi, and even Mazda.

BMW - "You don't want to drive that, only (British word for cigarettes) drive those." Nothing I can say to reply to that, just walked away.

Audi - "So is this a present for your wife?"

Mazda - "Yeah we'll make sure to get you a car without all these fancy options, you know, hold the price down."

I think the most lip I got from a Lexus salesperson was "Yeah we can't do the chromes for free." =)

I've been treated well at Acura, Honda, and Caddillac (I think those guys were just surprised as I was the only one WITHOUT my pants up to my nipples).

Last edited by meefer; 02-22-08 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-22-08, 05:34 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meefer
I've been treated well at Acura, Honda, and Caddillac (I think those guys were just surprised as I was the only one WITHOUT my pants up to my nipples).
LOL hahaha
Old 02-22-08, 10:15 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

That's pretty STUPID of that idiot salesman.
Isn't a salesman supposed to be in the business of selling cars?

Heck, if I'm a salesman, I don't care if you're ghetto, or young, or a spoiled little brat, I'll sell you a car. It's going to depend if I'm eating steak or cup of noodle that night.

You should've got the name of that idiot and complained to the manager.
Let the manager chew him out.
I don't take bullcrap from cocky aholes.

Plus you were being considerate for taking good care of that IS-F for the new owner
Old 02-22-08, 11:04 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My sister had a similar story to yours Rominl. Back in 2001, when she was a junior in high school my dad and her went to Shelly BMW to buy her a 330i, when the salesman said "I don't think you should be looking at the 330i, you should be looking at the 325i, it's almost the same but probably in your price range." I don't know whether it was because of age,race, or gender but definitely he was discriminating. Then my dad went to another salesman and bought the same 330i! LOL Karma ftw.
Old 02-23-08, 11:18 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

I think we all have bad stories about salespeople completely misjudging their clients. While I understand they go through a LOT of customers a day and probably get tired of getting their tail wagged by people who don't have the cash or funds to pay for cars, as salespeople, it is their JOB to sell a car and make people in their dealership feel comfortable, and represent their brand accordingly.

Unfortunately, I've run into this situation far too many times. Probably the worst was when I went with my dad to find him a new SUV. He isn't very showy so he doesn't dress up and used to drive a workhorse of a truck, but he is a very proper and well off doctor. He decided he wanted to look into an X5, but when we rolled up in his truck at the BMW dealer, a salesman walked up to us and pointed us DIRECTLY to the used car lot. My dad said "Ok," went inside, got some coffee and popcorn and left. He is now in a Lexus GX.
Old 02-23-08, 11:30 AM
SEVY B
Driver

Just watched the movie CRUSH last night -- some similarities to your incident.
Old 02-23-08, 11:39 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by SEVY B
Just watched the movie CRUSH last night -- some similarities to your incident.
Erm....did you mean the movie "Crash"?

(which is an excellent movie)
Old 02-23-08, 04:21 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try buying furnisher by your self (no female), see how long it takes for someone to come up to you. That was the only time something like that has ever happend.
Old 02-23-08, 06:16 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I think we all have bad stories about salespeople completely misjudging their clients. While I understand they go through a LOT of customers a day and probably get tired of getting their tail wagged by people who don't have the cash or funds to pay for cars, as salespeople, it is their JOB to sell a car and make people in their dealership feel comfortable, and represent their brand accordingly.

Unfortunately, I've run into this situation far too many times. Probably the worst was when I went with my dad to find him a new SUV. He isn't very showy so he doesn't dress up and used to drive a workhorse of a truck, but he is a very proper and well off doctor. He decided he wanted to look into an X5, but when we rolled up in his truck at the BMW dealer, a salesman walked up to us and pointed us DIRECTLY to the used car lot. My dad said "Ok," went inside, got some coffee and popcorn and left. He is now in a Lexus GX.
I would think you are supposed to drive an old/beat up car to the dealer...that way the sales people know you cant afford it = lots of haggling

I went car shopping with an uncle at Tustin Lexus...with an 89 camry It was the end of the month and of course that one particular sales person needed one more sale for his bonus and we lowballed an offer...sat there for an hour....walked away and got a call two hours later accepting the offer
Old 03-24-08, 03:10 PM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

Henry, maybe you should grow some beard. =)
You're not the only ASIAN that get's treated like that. I get that all the time. haha

At the Gucci store in South Coast Mall, I was going to buy my Mom, Dad and my self some goodies. My Moms' purse was close to 800, Dads wallet 300 my tie, wallet, shoes, belt totalled close to $1000. I had the money ready, and waited for someone to help me.........not one sales person helped me out out of 10 other shoppers. I guess because I was wearing my shorts and t shirt...so I asked for the manager, bought the stuff and made sure no body made commission off my sale.
Old 03-24-08, 03:22 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^ Sadly enough, that entire shift split that commission..
Old 03-24-08, 03:23 PM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^ Sadly enough, that entire shift split that commission..
Yup...I just wanted to get my point across.

Quick Reply: kids you look too young to touch this car