CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

kids you look too young to touch this car

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-08, 09:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I did have a salesman say that to me once, but it was all in good fun. I was in there to look at an IS and when I asked about the LS he said I wasn't old enough for one .
hey now are you calling me old man? i am all in for jokes
Old 02-22-08, 09:34 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
Hey old man....er...I mean Henry. hehe

I still joke to you about being too young for the LS.

All kidding aside...what did you think about the ISF? Doesn't seem as though you got to spend much time there. I know you've seen and driven it before, but it's a different experience during a more personal one on one time at a dealership.
Old 02-22-08, 09:53 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yes, we drove the ls460l that day. ironic, isn't it

but to certain extend i am surprised that after so many years, the kind of stereotype about age/money/race is still around here in the US, especially CA where the diversity is so wide
Sweet!
Henry, I think its ignorance continuity...and I agree, it does suck. Bottom line, we all would like to be treated with the respect that others would expect to be treated...some people just dont get it
Old 02-22-08, 09:54 AM
dk0515
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Henry,

Sorry that happen. I get that all the time as well. When I was looking for my car I step into a few dealerships and no one greeted me. I stayed in the showroom getting into the cars and after about 15mins someone approached me with an attitude. They asked if I needed help but I got the feeling it was more like leave.

I look young and I don't like to dress up as well. I wear basketball shorts and a t-shirt normally because I can care less how I look as long as it's clean. Either way, I don't think any salesperson should make such assumptions about anyone.

I could never even get decent salespeople when I go to dealerships so I had to resort to phone calls. Then when I walked in to buy the car looking the way I do, the salesperson said how surprised he was that I was the one buying the car (that day I didn't shave for a few weeks too). But, now that I drive a Lexus, when I pull into lots, salespeople are already approaching me before I get out the car. What a difference it makes of actually pulling up in a Lexus.

To bad most people are so stereotypical...
Old 02-22-08, 09:56 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

henry, that happens to me sometimes too. i had my car in for an oil change one time and was just walking the lot to check out cars and some overweight and old white guy waddles over and says to me -

"You here to speak with me?"

I'm like - "what?"

Then he says - "Yeah, I figured you were here to see me since I advertised in the Chinese newspaper."

Haaa haaaaa - boy was I pissed off when he said that. I almost verbally ripped his head off.

I bit my tongue like you did and went to the sales manager to complain about his ignorant salesman and he apologized. I don't know what ever happened with the guy but I certainly don't go to that dealership anymore.

Also, as far as being sterotyped into being too young or too poor to own a car, I think I kind of contribute to the problem with the way I dress. 99% of the time I'm in shorts, a t-shirt and maybe a sweatshirt with worn holes in it, and flip flops. I dress like I do because it's comfortable and having worked in internet companies since I graduated college and seeing young CTOs walking around barefoot and in grunge clothes in the office, I know all too well that how someone dresses or their age has nothing to do with their intellect or financial buying power. I guess that mentality is too progressive for some people.

BTW - I wish I could have seen that guy's face as you drove off in the LS. hahaha!
Old 02-22-08, 10:01 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud
BTW - I wish I could have seen that guy's face as you drove off in the LS. hahaha!
Cliff, it's like those credit card commercials..."PRICELESS" LOL
i mean seriously, can you imagine being sales B and seeing Henry get into his fully loaded/mod'd Wald LS!!! ROFL!!!
Old 02-22-08, 10:22 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Well if the shoe fits

Quick off topic: you live in Fullerton right? Mind if I ask what zip code? I'm still looking for homes in that area and figured I'd get an opinion
Old 02-22-08, 10:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

lol you guys are getting funnier i shouldn't have let liz into this thread but in short, actually i have never driven the is-f yet, i got a ride in one, never drove. i think it's a very nice car, LOVE the seats, but it's very small. that's a problem (to me)

allen, my zip is 92833. you can pm me for more info if you want

david and cliff, some stories you guys have there as well.... i guess it's a blessing that i have several lexus contacts so i don't have to go through too much BS, but imagine if i were to get another brand again... i wonder what it would be like

i think dressing clean is always the key, to me that's respect already. but it's not like i have to dress in suit to get someone's respect right?
Old 02-22-08, 10:37 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I think I know which dealership you're referring to.

It's sad to say that stereotyping exists in many places. Unfortunately, car salesmen are learning to stereotype faster than most of us can count from 1 to 10. This attitude could be triggered by poor economy, low commissions, low sales rate, or that some of us being a member from the minority group or simply look young and what not.

If I know that I am only going to dealership for the purpose of "looking" only, I tend to dress semi decent and always carry my business cards with me. Polite salesmen will always get polite treatment from me in return. Rude salesmen with terrible attitudes always get my card with a sentence: Call me when you come up with a figure that won't cause me to laugh. Obviously, if their attitude falls anywhere in between rudeness and being polite, then that's what they'll get from me in return.

More and more salesmen are learning to be nice and polite ONLY when they see a potential profitable hardball coming at them. Things were not like this before in the old days at all. Regardless of a Client's status, he/she should be treated equally as others. It's simple Salesman 101 from training.

Jon
Old 02-22-08, 10:42 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Well if the shoe fits

Quick off topic: you live in Fullerton right? Mind if I ask what zip code? I'm still looking for homes in that area and figured I'd get an opinion
if you're looking at a relatively new home, there are a few developments on malvern between gilbert and bastanchury. the upper end of homes are @ coyote hills and near sunny hills HS. the more budget-minded homes are east of harbor and south of malvern (the "other" side of fullerton, as i'd like to call it).

/OT

i drove my 2is back to longo a while back, and saw the salesperson i dealt w/. he tried to be all chummy w/ me and asked "i feel like i've known you from somewhere... have we done business together?"
Old 02-22-08, 11:42 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well we all stereotype. Its an innate and reflexive mental behavior. Thats how we dont go insane. Our mind is more categorical than u think. We have to stereotype to help process and expedite mental processes and external stimuli and information.

When you meet someone, what is the first think you notice? I'm sure it falls into something like this:

1.) Gender
2.) Race
3.) Age
4.) Attire

So its more categorical than stereotypical. Its sad, but attire is a big factor in how people perceive you. Its nothing racist or prejudiced, its just the way the human mind works. More often than not, you will take the same person in the same situation that is better dressed in any one of those situations better than the same person in another situation that is not as well dressed. Or something like that. They have done case studies where the same person spends one day dress as a bum and another dressed neatly as a businessman with suit, tie, and briefcase. You can imagine the results without any additional extrapolation.

I always tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, initially speaking, and try and put myself in their shoes. As a high stakes salesperson that spends hours upon hours a day on the sales floor and speaking to hundreds of potential customers, they have a good grasp of the big fish and the little fish. They know the targeted demograph, or I'd hope so, per vehicle and can readily identify it. Many of these subjectivities are salesperson specific, dependent on their own personal experiences. They go through plenty of people that just waste their time all day and leave, while they see their co-workers closing deals with certain people that could have potentially been theirs. Being a salesman is tough, and you have to make instant perceptions and gambles all the time. Sometimes they make the wrong decisions and sometimes they don't. Nobody is perfect. And maybe you caught them on a rough day. Too many variables to stamp "stereotype" on these types of situations, although it could very plausibly be a factor. I'm just saying that many other factors weigh into these situations other than just race and age, so you still have to think on their level and think on their terms as well, even though you are the customer. Just basic social sciences.
Old 02-22-08, 12:10 PM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang this thing happens a LOT after all :\

we were at a Honda Dealership, and looking at the new S2k's (my friend with his FULLY decked out s2k came too) and this sales lady says "this car is too much for you guys, why dont you guys look at the new Fit" and we were like wtf, fat b**ch, " he owns a s2k, i own a lexus, he owns a 350z, and she had a stupid look to her face, and we just walked out talking **** about her. heh :\
people these days...

then right after
we went to a Nissan dealership.. so far i like this place the BEST! right when i showed up, a younger sales man comes up to us, and offered us a ride for no reason ahha, and of course we took it :](we were looking for a car for my friend's sister)

Porsche dealership at Riverside area, for some reason they WERE VERY VERY HELPFUL, maybe because we were holding 2 BIG bags of LV stuff >.> hmmmmmmm

Audi, they were asses, no one helped us... sigh :[

maybe its becuase we were 18? hahaha. i dont dress gangsta at all. i dress more of the casual type. hmmm
Old 02-22-08, 12:18 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never underestimate anyone.
Old 02-22-08, 12:24 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Hi Henry..

Gee, this sounds like typical Longo Lexus reg sales reps...

A majority of them must be all trained the same way..

I go through this 9 out of 10 times I visit that place..

Ironically, I was there 2 weeks ago checking out the Matador Red IS-F in the back showroom... (near wheel display)
Spent 20 mins (bumper to bumper) with the car and thankfully, not one person bothered ME..

I did ask if I could open the hood and one guy said no problem..

I have walked in their downstairs showrooms alone, many times.. I always get a look, but never been questioned..

Joe Z

P.S. - Here as a link to: MY So Cal IS350 Shopping Experience

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-22-08 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-22-08, 01:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

joe, i know, that was exactly why i went there to take a look. i went to the back and the car wasn't there anymore, so i figured they sold it already after your visit. so i proceeded to go downstairs.

see, even i saw the key and everything in the is-f, i was courteous. didn't pop the hood, start the car, or anything. just opened the door, checked out the leather, and sat in it to get a feeling of the car.

oh well

Quick Reply: kids you look too young to touch this car