CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Powder coating... (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-12, 11:15 AM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS25Heaven
^ just hit up wheel flip like everyone is saying
my thread was merged into this thread, didnt see those previous post til now. NICE!!
THX to the mod that moved me here. wasnt aware of this "mother thread"
Old 01-27-13, 02:10 AM
Whitena
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any recommendations for powder coating for just center piece of a set of 20" bbs lm reps?
Old 01-27-13, 08:15 PM
lsvtec
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a set of 18" centers (faces) only and need to powercoat
Old 04-12-13, 10:45 PM
isbbq
Driver

Default Any powder coating shop around 626 area

Any one know where can powder coat wheels around 626 area or any recommend?? I only found one on craigslist $199 for 4 wheels whole page of his ad. any one went to that place to do powder coat their wheels and feedback?? Thanks!!!!
Old 07-09-13, 04:30 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts
Default socal powdercoat

can anyone recommend a good wheel powdercoating shop.. looking to pay 2-300 for stripping, powdercoat, tire dismount and mount.. asap responses please, or im going to revolution tires for 320 on thursday.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-09-13, 04:37 PM
estribo
Driver School Candidate

primo powder coating in huntington beach
Old 07-09-13, 06:08 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

I've seen signs off the 55fwy between the 405 and 5 for a powder-coating place.

If you find a good deal please post back the price range. I may be interested myself... :-)
Old 07-10-13, 05:36 PM
sananikone
Driver School Candidate

Tire dismounting/remounting - $15 per tire @ 8 times ( 4x dismount & 4x remount)= $120
Cold strip - roughly $80-$100
Powder coating - Roughly $120

Total over estimated rough ballpark - $340 after bargaining you should be able to get them to $300 CASH easily.

Even though I'm over estimating costs, I would say you're getting a pretty decent deal since costs wont fluctuate much more than $20-$40 depending on shop. HOWEVER, the most important part is to MAKE SURE that who ever strips your wheels (shops often outsource this part) is doing a cold chemical strip. Cold chemical strips protect and ensure the metallurgical structure and compounds in your wheels are not altered or destroyed like they would be in a hot chemical strip. Hot chemical strips can cause and are notorious for causing wheel failure on anything from a stock manufactured cast wheel to high grade T6 6061 forged aluminum wheels. They literally crack from stress loads they would prior be able to handle.

These chemical strips are essentially what they sound like, a cold temperature liquid chemical strip, and a hot liquid chemical strip. The cold costs a little bit more because it doesn't need a heating agent to activate chemicals, where as the hot strip requires pretty excessive amounts of heat in order to activate the chemicals for them to do their jobs. This heat exposure is what alters the metal compounds in the wheels.

- I used to work for a large named forged wheel company that I'd rather keep undisclosed. hope this helps you and best of luck!
Old 07-10-13, 05:39 PM
sananikone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by anxiouz
I've seen signs off the 55fwy between the 405 and 5 for a powder-coating place.

If you find a good deal please post back the price range. I may be interested myself... :-)
If i remember correctly this place doesn't do wheels due to oven capacity size. I think they specialized more in component parts for stuff like chassis and suspension and motorcycle frames etc. I could be wrong though and we simply didn't use them due to high cost, worth checking out or giving a call!
Old 07-10-13, 07:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

most good powdercoating places only work on bare rims.

Was at Porter Powdercoating in Anaheim today, huge shop and good selection, solid pricing as I was told.
Old 07-11-13, 12:40 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by sananikone
Tire dismounting/remounting - $15 per tire @ 8 times ( 4x dismount & 4x remount)= $120
Cold strip - roughly $80-$100
Powder coating - Roughly $120

Total over estimated rough ballpark - $340 after bargaining you should be able to get them to $300 CASH easily.

Even though I'm over estimating costs, I would say you're getting a pretty decent deal since costs wont fluctuate much more than $20-$40 depending on shop. HOWEVER, the most important part is to MAKE SURE that who ever strips your wheels (shops often outsource this part) is doing a cold chemical strip. Cold chemical strips protect and ensure the metallurgical structure and compounds in your wheels are not altered or destroyed like they would be in a hot chemical strip. Hot chemical strips can cause and are notorious for causing wheel failure on anything from a stock manufactured cast wheel to high grade T6 6061 forged aluminum wheels. They literally crack from stress loads they would prior be able to handle.

These chemical strips are essentially what they sound like, a cold temperature liquid chemical strip, and a hot liquid chemical strip. The cold costs a little bit more because it doesn't need a heating agent to activate chemicals, where as the hot strip requires pretty excessive amounts of heat in order to activate the chemicals for them to do their jobs. This heat exposure is what alters the metal compounds in the wheels.

- I used to work for a large named forged wheel company that I'd rather keep undisclosed. hope this helps you and best of luck!
hes charging 15 to dismount and mount and balance tires for 60 there
i think 50 per wheel for stripping
and the rest of the money towards powdecoating, but im getting 8 wheels done with a friend so i think hes gonna knock the down price a little but i will ask him about the cold chemical stripping.. thanks for the heads up.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-11-13, 01:00 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nu-Tec Powder Coating in Anaheim.

They do work for several wheel manufacturers.
Old 07-15-13, 03:23 PM
sananikone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by terrycs
Nu-Tec Powder Coating in Anaheim.

They do work for several wheel manufacturers.
Yup. Nutec, New Year Metal, and Olympic all do PC for socal based wheel manufacturers

Linco does strip

M&G does brushing/polishing