CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Anyone have a hook up for Bose home theater systems??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-05, 01:13 PM
DavesGS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a hook up for Bose home theater systems??

Just like the title says, I am currently looking for a home theater system and like Bose but am open to others. Just wanted to see if anyone has a hook up because a little tight on money. Currently looking for the lifestyle 18.
Thanks
Old 06-23-05, 04:32 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

tight on money but you want to spend it on a home theater system?
Old 06-23-05, 05:26 PM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you go down to westminster,,,,,,,,, they sell it for alot less than they do at the american places........ also u dont have to pay tax if you pay with cash which alone could save you a hundred or more.............
Old 06-24-05, 08:29 AM
DavesGS
Pole Position

I guess I should have said that I am limited to the amount I can spend. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-24-05, 10:15 AM
peaceful97
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, b1gredek is right. 2 year ago I bought a Bose Systems from Century TV at the corner of Brookhurst and Westminster for about $400 less than other places. But you have to do some bargaining.
Old 06-24-05, 12:23 PM
BobaDrift
Pole Position

Bose is overpriced and they're more well known only because of their marketing.

You should look into either Harman Kardan or Onkyo for a receiver and Polk for the surround speakers. I went to Fry's and bought the Polk 5.1 surround with 12" subwoofer and they sound great. They're hooked up to an Onkyo receiver.

If I were you I'd look into other brands as they'll have better quality and cost less.
Old 06-28-05, 12:36 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BobaDrift
Bose is overpriced and they're more well known only because of their marketing.

You should look into either Harman Kardan or Onkyo for a receiver and Polk for the surround speakers. I went to Fry's and bought the Polk 5.1 surround with 12" subwoofer and they sound great. They're hooked up to an Onkyo receiver.

If I were you I'd look into other brands as they'll have better quality and cost less.
Yes, Bose is wayy overpriced AND overrated. For the amount of money you are going to spend on it, you can get a much better sounding system. Also, you never see and Bose system being discussed or advertised in any audiophile magazines. The reason for that is that Bose is looked down upon by the audiophile community.
Old 06-28-05, 03:42 PM
DavesGS
Pole Position

So my next question would be, what speakers, receiver are best? Need a receiver that I can add about 5 additional speakers for the rest of the house.
Old 06-28-05, 03:59 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

I've had good luck with Polk.
Old 06-28-05, 04:16 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesGS
So my next question would be, what speakers, receiver are best? Need a receiver that I can add about 5 additional speakers for the rest of the house.
You mean 5 additional sets of speakers for whole house audio? If so, I have not seen a receiver that can do that. If you have whole house, do you already have speakers in place? How about an attached volume control per set, e.g. for each room? What you already have will determine the hardware you need but I think it will be a setup external to the receiver.

Lastly, for appropriate recommendations, a budget would be helpful.
Old 06-28-05, 05:24 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

One of our long-time CL members (lex400sc) has a great Bose writeup.

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Good writeup on alternative configurations for whole house audio

http://www.smarthome.com/wwaudvid.html
Old 06-28-05, 05:24 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Look at Boston Acoustics!

Yeah... Bose = slick marketing and mediocre content. I find the sound very fatiguing. The "sizzle pop" of the systems sounds great in the retail store because it sounds so different from other systems. The reality is that the sound in a quiet home environment is lackluster.

Without knowing more about what you are looking for (and based on what "Blows" system you are looking at), I would look at the Boston Acoustics "Avidea" line. This is a simple 5.1 "system in a box" that comes with 5 satellite speakers and a powered subwoofer. It plays DVDs, CDs, and has a tuner built-in to the main processor unit.

I have the older version of this (the Unity system) in my upstairs bedroom and I love it! It won't blow you away if used in a larger room, but considering the price and features, it is a terrific buy.

Boston Avidea
Old 06-29-05, 09:49 AM
DavesGS
Pole Position

Neo: Budget is about 1400.00. I actually already have purchased 5 bose ceiling speakers that I will install when the rest of the unit is complete.
I was looking into the Bose Lifestyle 18 which is expandable to up to 14 rooms.
I am electronically challenged so I really didn't want to go into a store and end up buying a system that is not going to be worth my money.

Thanks for all your recommendations and if anymore please keep them coming.
Old 06-29-05, 01:57 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesGS
I was looking into the Bose Lifestyle 18 which is expandable to up to 14 rooms.
I have no usage experience with this system and I don't know the quality so I will not make a judgement call. Just keep in mind that the expandability does not come for free. It is basically a wireless transmission system and on the receiving end, you still need an amp and speakers. All this expandable parts come at a price obviously. I don't know the range of the trasmitter/receiver so you will need to play with it in your home to see how much hardware you need.

I guess this is nice if you don't have speakers prewired and want a unified look and feel. Otherwise, you can piece something like this together if you went with a different receiver.
Old 01-26-06, 01:36 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by b1gredek
if you go down to westminster,,,,,,,,, they sell it for alot less than they do at the american places........ also u dont have to pay tax if you pay with cash which alone could save you a hundred or more.............
do you know if they have ONKYO
and where is this at exactly

Thanks