CL of Hawaii Home of Club Lexus Hawaii

4GS Nightmare Experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-13, 07:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
If its been less than 30 days, go to your dealer and say you dont want it. They are legally obliged to give you your money back or an exchange.
This is absolutely not true in every state. In MD there is no cooling off period.

To the OP, your situation sucks but unfortunately things like that happen. This is why I try and stay away from the dealer's service department as much as possible. For instance I would never let the dealer tint or do clearbras, or use whoever the dealer recommends. Do your own research and get the work done yourself...

I'd pocket the $1,300 and use it to take the car to a professional detailer and get the issues taken care of properly. Like you said, the dealer is just going to continue to screw up.
Old 05-16-13, 06:35 PM
oahuboy
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car

Ripples from the polisher.

The scratch after polish. Before it was polished you could snag your finger nail on it.

It was extremely hard to take a picture of the thousands of tiny scratches from the edge of the glass ending at the tint line all around the window but you can see a couple i was able to catch with my camera.
Attached Thumbnails 4GS Nightmare Experience-photo-5.jpg   4GS Nightmare Experience-photo-4.jpg   4GS Nightmare Experience-photo-3.jpg   4GS Nightmare Experience-photo-2.jpg   4GS Nightmare Experience-photo-1.jpg  

Old 05-16-13, 08:27 PM
LexusVet
Pole Position

i know how you feel this is also my dream car and I would have reacted similarly Good Luck
Old 05-17-13, 08:33 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Although it may not be noticed by others, it sucks to have this type of damage on something you just signed for 60K. Mine was damaged by the dealer while was there for service and I still live with a scar on driver's fender but it can only be seen by me and my detailer under high power light. So I let it go. In my opinion, you should pocket the 1300 and do whatever you want with it. It sucks but the pain/discomfort will fade away. Having the whole rear window replaced may lead to more serious damage IMO. Hope it works out for you. Car looks good. Time to enjoy her.
Old 05-18-13, 02:46 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear of your ordeal at Servco.

There's a similar story from another Hawaii owner who also bought a new Lexus about a year ago at Servco and also had it tinted by the dealership (outsourced to TNT)...and TNT royally messed up his interior door. Sounded like they removed his interior door panel as part of the tint job.

Anyways, the thread should be in the ClubLexus Hawaii section.

Good luck.

Pete
Old 05-21-13, 08:32 PM
oahuboy
10th Gear

So all my worst nightmares have come true. I was supposed to pick the car up today from Lexus. I call them and they tell me Ace Auto Glass scratched the new glass and that it would take 2 weeks for a new glass from Japan to arrive. I took leave from work and went straight to the dealer. Pending the GM's approval they're going to give me the exact same GS brand new but it doesn't come in for a month or give me a hybrid GS in Silver for 7K more but I doubt the GM will approve the 2nd one. Either way hopefully after all this crap I can just enjoy my car. lol.

Last edited by oahuboy; 05-21-13 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-22-13, 01:58 AM
Hawaii60
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by theSHAPE
Midnight Tinting
Totally satisfied with his work and its not far from Lexus +1
Old 05-22-13, 02:05 AM
Landon4010
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PHML
Sorry to hear of your ordeal at Servco.

There's a similar story from another Hawaii owner who also bought a new Lexus about a year ago at Servco and also had it tinted by the dealership (outsourced to TNT)...and TNT royally messed up his interior door. Sounded like they removed his interior door panel as part of the tint job.

Anyways, the thread should be in the ClubLexus Hawaii section.

Good luck.

Pete
hey great memory pete. that unfortunate soul was me!!! those m'fers messed my door panel real bad, i mean really bad. Servco didnt accept responsibility, nor did they consider TNT making the foul up. I took it to BBB; and persistent badgering and threat of lawsuit all of a sudden brought them to accommodate my issues. they tried to do a 50/50 split but i was like hell no! they replaced the entire door panel free of charge. there was alot more to the ordeal, but i'm glad i fought for it.

oahuboy, just make sure you dont pay for anything.
Old 05-22-13, 06:43 PM
oahuboy
10th Gear

Got the call today that the GM approved swapping out a brand new GS350 that's coming in late next month. Exact same car, brand new.
Old 05-22-13, 08:05 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by oahuboy
Got the call today that the GM approved swapping out a brand new GS350 that's coming in late next month. Exact same car, brand new.
Wow..great news!!

Btw, make sure all your options are on the car. It happened to my mom when she bought her GS years ago with auto-leveling HIDs from Servco Lexus. When she pickup'd her car and drove it home, she didn't notice the headlights at the time. When it got dark, I noticed it was yellowish...so I checked it that night, and sure enough, it was halogen bulbs.

I checked the sticker paperwork with the options in her GS, and it listed the auto-leveling HIDs too. Weird!! I called the salesman immediately, and told him its halogen headlights!! He didn't believe me. We brought the car back in the next day. Salesman and manager came out to inspect the car, and sure enough it was halogen. The manager told us they can't take the car back, and offered to refund us back the auto-leveling HIDs option. My mom said....BS!!! In the end, she got a new GS with the options she wanted and paid for. Too bad she had to go through this ordeal as well.

Unbelieveable stuff happening at Servco Lexus....from back in the day....to even now.

Pete
Old 05-23-13, 08:33 PM
oahuboy
10th Gear

Originally Posted by PHML
Wow..great news!!

Btw, make sure all your options are on the car. It happened to my mom when she bought her GS years ago with auto-leveling HIDs from Servco Lexus. When she pickup'd her car and drove it home, she didn't notice the headlights at the time. When it got dark, I noticed it was yellowish...so I checked it that night, and sure enough, it was halogen bulbs.

I checked the sticker paperwork with the options in her GS, and it listed the auto-leveling HIDs too. Weird!! I called the salesman immediately, and told him its halogen headlights!! He didn't believe me. We brought the car back in the next day. Salesman and manager came out to inspect the car, and sure enough it was halogen. The manager told us they can't take the car back, and offered to refund us back the auto-leveling HIDs option. My mom said....BS!!! In the end, she got a new GS with the options she wanted and paid for. Too bad she had to go through this ordeal as well.

Unbelieveable stuff happening at Servco Lexus....from back in the day....to even now.

Pete
Thanks for the advice! I will be inspecting the new car like crazy!
Old 05-23-13, 08:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

And find a place to have it tinted on your own!
Old 05-24-13, 08:25 PM
Mpunk
Driver School Candidate

Hey Oahuboy, sorry to hear about your experience with your 4GS! In a way it's probably a good thing that the incident happened with Ace Auto Glass that made the GM give you a brand-new GS because he wasn't willing to do so previously.

Here's a few thoughts:

It's seldom a good idea to get aftermarket things done to your car from the dealer because of the markup. A luxury car dealer (not Lexus BTW) offered to sell me sealant and said it was only like $30/mo extra when in reality it was something like over $1,000. A friend who works at a detail shop later told me the dealerships pay something like $150 and that the rest is all pure profit. Not hating on the dealerships, just saying that you can probably do better to get it done on your own.

When you get your replacement GS350, do inspect it thoroughly. This might sound weird but you might want to check the VIN plate on the driver door. I have a friend that just leased a '13 RX350 and took delivery of it after casual inspection. When she showed it to me the day after buying it I noticed a huge rock chip at the bottom of the driver door that looked like it was caused by a pretty good-sized rock. She would've definitely heard a rock that size hitting her door on the drive home that first night.

Secondly, I noticed that on the VIN plate the date of manufacture specified "05/12" and she was told that the car was sitting in the dealer lot for "only a couple weeks." And she got the car in late March '13! This was extremely odd as the RX is one of Servco Lexus' best-selling models and they move a ton of them.

Regarding the glass, I've heard nightmare stories about Ace but your story takes the cake. I've had a company car done by Safelight in Salt Lake and they're truly excellent! The repairs were so good it was flawless and the turnaround time was less than 24 hrs. I think they're mobile but best bet is to drop the car off at their shop.

Regarding tint, I would recommend Al's Tinting. My friend who's a BMW fanatic spent probably over $30K modding his M3 and then later an F30 335i can't shut up about them. Al's isn't cheap but the work is really good and my friend's M3 and 335i have been in magazine shoots and professionally sponsored.

Lastly, if you need a good detailer try Shea's Luxury Detail. He's not cheap either but he's done wonders on my car and well worth the money spent.

Oh, and ONLY hand wash your car. Don't EVER "dry wash" it as this will cause swirl marks and fine scratches and will literally ruin your clear coat. And as for those machine car washes, stay away! I went to a certain busy spot on Kapiolani and as I was in the line waiting to pay I saw a huge SUV continually ramming my car's rear bumper because the driver parked it too close on the conveyor belt! The car wash owner apologized profusely and took care of the damages but I'd doubt it if I hadn't witnessed it myself and pointed it out to him as it was happening. Plus, the plastic bristles WILL eventually cause small scratches on your car.

Good luck with the 2nd new GS and remember to take your time inspecting during delivery! Tip: Take your iPhone camera, put it on video and turn on the flash to get the LED flash on and use it to spotlight the car's body as you go over it. You don't need to film the car, just turn on the video and flash. With Android phones you actually need to film in order to get the light to stay on.

Last edited by Mpunk; 05-24-13 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-25-13, 05:03 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpunk
Regarding the glass, I've heard nightmare stories about Ace but your story takes the cake. I've had a company car done by Safelight in Salt Lake and they're truly excellent! The repairs were so good it was flawless and the turnaround time was less than 24 hrs. I think they're mobile but best bet is to drop the car off at their shop....
I'm glad you had a good experience with Safelight in Salt Lake. Just for the record, I had them do a windshield replacement on a former Lexus in the DFW area and they did a miserable job. They dripped glue on the dash requiring replacement of an $800 piece of wood. The guy that did the work slashed up the headliner surrounding the windshield in the process of removing the old windshield. It was a total amateurish job. They denied all the damage until I told them I was going to sue them and Safelight corporate finally agreed to pay for all the damage. I wouldn't use Safelight for any car I owned ever again.