CL of Hawaii Home of Club Lexus Hawaii

Recon advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-12, 02:00 PM
blkis_250
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recon advice

Hey guys, so I'm trying to get recon for my 2gen IS and I just wanted to know if anyone knew exactly what they require for recon. I know that your headlights need to be at least 22 inches off the ground but is there anything else I should be worried about?
Old 02-21-12, 02:23 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alignment within 30 days.
Old 02-21-12, 05:35 PM
whitecel
Pole Position

Alignment papers is a must. Make sure it's within specs too. Take off reroute if u have them. I asked.

O and if u have a safety check plate and it's in the middle, move it over or they'll fail u if it's in the center or left side
Old 02-21-12, 05:38 PM
whitecel
Pole Position

And depending on the inspector you might get the bounce test. My wrx failed with h-techs/sti struts. But my 350z passed with hotchkis springs and no bounce test.

My is got the bounce test but those ezs are soft so I passed
Old 02-21-12, 08:56 PM
weesped
Lexus Champion

they checked my tint, bounce tested me and made sure my lights worked (go figure). My safety was on a bracket on the right side and I passed, but maybe I was just lucky. I think main thing is alignment.

They also made me take off my stickers
Old 02-22-12, 01:41 AM
blkis_250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by weesped
they checked my tint, bounce tested me and made sure my lights worked (go figure). My safety was on a bracket on the right side and I passed, but maybe I was just lucky. I think main thing is alignment.

They also made me take off my stickers
Ouch, yeah I used to have stickers too but the place where I went to get safety last year made me take them off. Ok I'm getting alignment within the next couple weeks so I should be fine. I just need to raise my car a bit. Recon sucks....especially since I need it after my safety expired and need recon before I can get safety.

But thanks for all the info guys!! Appreciate it
Old 02-22-12, 11:03 AM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blkis_250
Ouch, yeah I used to have stickers too but the place where I went to get safety last year made me take them off. Ok I'm getting alignment within the next couple weeks so I should be fine. I just need to raise my car a bit. Recon sucks....especially since I need it after my safety expired and need recon before I can get safety.

But thanks for all the info guys!! Appreciate it
I barely passed with my tanabes for the bounce test, make sure you throw the dampening on full soft. I guess i was lucky too because my car was practically full slammed.
Old 02-22-12, 12:13 PM
g2IS350
Driver School Candidate

Try taking out about 5 psi from your tires for more bounce...on the bounce test.
Old 02-22-12, 07:45 PM
96817isf
Lexus Test Driver

how the hell do they do a bounce test?? cause my car will be so stiff after i put my coilovers in..maybe i should just say **** it and no need recon..
Old 02-22-12, 08:27 PM
Alias
Lexus Champion

^^^ lol that's what I say! No way in heck I would pass a bounce test even when I had my springs...
Old 02-22-12, 10:39 PM
isusu8o8
Driver

i had no bounce test on my 1IS and i had my Teins type HA. all he told me was to blade my CLH sticker and he measured my headlights with a big ruler stick from the ground to my head lights, & my alignment papers was a plus. you just gotta pray to get that middle age Japanese man that talks like a young boy lol, forgot his name but he came to my working place at nissan and talked storys with him. he owns a AE86
Old 02-22-12, 10:41 PM
blkis_250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 96817isf
how the hell do they do a bounce test?? cause my car will be so stiff after i put my coilovers in..maybe i should just say **** it and no need recon..
I heard they go to the back of your car and either they bounce it or make you bounce it and if it looks too stiff they won't pass you. But I think what g2IS350 said is good lol deflating your tires a little might help it bounce if your coils are stiff
Old 02-22-12, 11:17 PM
g2IS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by isusu8o8
i had no bounce test on my 1IS and i had my Teins type HA. all he told me was to blade my CLH sticker and he measured my headlights with a big ruler stick from the ground to my head lights, & my alignment papers was a plus. you just gotta pray to get that middle age Japanese man that talks like a young boy lol, forgot his name but he came to my working place at nissan and talked storys with him. he owns a AE86
NO OFFENSE...but for the sake of others trying to get RECON. You might be able to find the guys name on the paper work/permit that he gave you.
Old 02-22-12, 11:29 PM
g2IS350
Driver School Candidate

I think you're thinking that they do one big downward push on your fender and see how far down it goes.

When I went that's how I started on the front and he had that look like he wasn't going to pass me...then he said let's try the back "it should be easier". So I pop the trunk and started rapidly pushing my car down/up literally trying to make it bounce and he was satisfied. So I pop my hood and did the same thing and before you knew it I was driving out of there with my permit.
Old 02-23-12, 01:58 AM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Whats your spring rate?

Quick Reply: Recon advice