CL of Hawaii Home of Club Lexus Hawaii
View Poll Results: Would you participate in the 2011 Toys4Tots car club event?
Yes
100.00%
No
0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

2011 Toys 4 Tots discussion

Old 10-06-11, 01:20 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 Toys 4 Tots discussion

I just spoke with the person that has organized the car clubs' Toys4Tots cruise for the past several years. He informed me that he has stepped down as the civilian organizer and directed me to the following report:
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/1...edirected=true

2010 Toys 4 Tots report on Hawaii News Now

He, and several other car clubs showed disbelief and did not want to be a part of the Toys4 Tots effort this year. I want to get input from our club to see if we want to still move forward with this event despite the negative publicity. Last year, I gathered and led nearly 30 cars from Club Lexus and Team Revision as part of the 850 cars that we gathered for the entire event! I'd hate to see this yearly event cease because of this incident.

Fill out the poll and let's hear what everyone wants to do. If there are enough people participating, I'll research and put this event together along with the other car clubs. If not, maybe we can do something on a smaller scale with a few import car clubs and Team Revision.

Let the discussions begin...
Old 10-06-11, 01:55 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ok... i see the marines point of 'used' toys not up to standard so them not using it fine, after all its bring a NEW unwrapped toy, imo its the people who donated whos at fault... also the dumping of the toys, now if its been used the conditions might not make it safe for kids to use, i have not seen the toys up close and as we all know pics can hide alot of flaws, so there is a liability issue to consider...

STILL... they coulda taken it to some other organization as 'used' toys and let that organization decide what to do with it... dropped it off at a goodwill station/salvation army any number of charities...

BUT just think of all the toys they did distribute and the good they do overall~ to not support them because of 100 'used' toys out of 50,000? Now thats just silly. The only ones who would 'lose' here is the kids...
Old 10-06-11, 02:11 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

I agree. 100 out of 45-50k toys is not a huge number. But the organizer had contacted the Marines in the beginning of this year and had not gotten a response on how they're handling "damage control" and had not setup meetings on this year's event until recently. So he quietly stepped down as this year's organizer.

If anyone has been to our recent t4t events, you guys have seen the turnout and can only imagine what it takes to organize something this big. 850+ cars last year! That's some BIG shoes to fill.
Old 10-06-11, 04:22 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

After reading the report I don't see a problem. Sounds like they threw away slightly damaged and musty smelling toys. I wouldn't advise them to donate musty potentially moldy toys to any other organization. Too much liability. It should go in the trash just like they did, and if others want to risk the health hazard and pull it out of the trash that is up to them.
Old 10-07-11, 12:23 AM
mlum808
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to let you guys know WEKFEST Hawaii will be conducting an offical toy drive for LOKAHI at the DEC 4 event.
Old 10-07-11, 12:46 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mlum808
Just to let you guys know WEKFEST Hawaii will be conducting an offical toy drive for LOKAHI at the DEC 4 event.
good one marshall
Old 10-07-11, 02:15 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the event is still for a good cause.

even though some toys don't meet their standards, they shouldn't have tossed them like that. they should have donated it to other non-profits who would take them.
Old 11-03-11, 10:06 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

I guess no one is interested. Too bad, we've always had a large turnout of CLH/Team Revision cars in the past. Maybe next year!
Old 11-03-11, 12:02 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tod071
I guess no one is interested. Too bad, we've always had a large turnout of CLH/Team Revision cars in the past. Maybe next year!
yep... CLH/TR would be the largest turn outs for imports and 3rd after the mustangs and vw's...