Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Compliance Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-14, 06:47 PM
WNYX
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Compliance Ticket

I got pulled over on Wednesday for my tinted windows. The office gave me a compliance ticket, so I have to bring my car to legal limit and take it to the Arlington Heights police station. I'm taking my car to get the tint redone this Saturday. A few questions before I go though:

1. What is involved in this check up? Will an officer follow me out to my car to retest my tint, or will he just ask for an invoice from the tint shop showing I put legal tint on?

(This next question is going to sound really dumb, so I apologize in advance...)

2. I got 20% tint but the officer's meter read my tint at 15%. I'm guessing this is due to the factory tint that's already on the windows. In order to make my tint legal, what % should I ask for? I'm thinking 40%, right? But when the tint shop is removing the existing tint, will be remove the factory tint too? So, should I ask for 35%?

3. If I get 35% tint and the meter reads that it's actually darker due to the factory tint, will the officer let it slide if I show him my invoice showing that I had asked for 35% and explain the darker reading is from the factory tint?

I feel so stupid for asking these questions. Hopefully, someone else wanted to ask the same dumb questions, and I took one for the team.
Old 05-08-14, 07:19 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're going Saturday to have knew tint installed, peal the old tint off yourself and go to the station on Friday. Then you don't have to worry about the new tint complying with their stupid rules!!!

Doing it any other way and you risk them hassling you!! Then, on Saturday, get 35% and you should be okay.. I roll past cops all the time without incident and I have 35%...
Old 05-08-14, 07:50 PM
WNYX
Driver

That's actually a brilliant idea!

EDIT: Crap! I might not have time tomorrow. Immediately after work, I have to meet my family for dinner, and I can't be late because the rest of the family is on a tight schedule.

Originally Posted by Kuleaze
If you're going Saturday to have knew tint installed, peal the old tint off yourself and go to the station on Friday. Then you don't have to worry about the new tint complying with their stupid rules!!!

Doing it any other way and you risk them hassling you!! Then, on Saturday, get 35% and you should be okay.. I roll past cops all the time without incident and I have 35%...

Last edited by WNYX; 05-08-14 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-08-14, 08:24 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

It will literally take you 15 minutes.. All you have to do is get one corner started, it will peal off really easy, and it doesn't have to look pretty, just get it off so you can pass their stupid inspection...

Also, you probably don't have to do all the windows, just the driver and passenger door... Once they see you making an effort, they'll probably let you go...
Old 05-08-14, 08:26 PM
WNYX
Driver

Excellent. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the advice. I owe you!

It will literally take you 15 minutes.. All you have to do is get one corner started, it will peal off really easy, and it doesn't have to look pretty, just get it off so you can pass their stupid inspection...

Also, you probably don't have to do all the windows, just the driver and passenger door... Once they see you making an effort, they'll probably let you go...
Old 05-09-14, 05:49 PM
WNYX
Driver

Kuleaze, thanks for the advice. I removed the tint, and I was shocked at how easily it came off. There is barely any adhesive residue on my window; just tiny strips here and there. It took like 10 seconds for each window. Also, I showed the guy behind the counter at the police station my ticket, he asked me if I removed the tint, I told him that I did, he told me he believed me, and that was that! Simple. I was in and out of there.
Thanks again for your advice.

Old 05-10-14, 01:16 AM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

I kind of figured they wouldn't even come out... Cops are lazy!! Now you can go 35% at your Saturday appointment and you don't have to wonder what the cops will do... Glad I could help!!
Old 05-10-14, 01:20 AM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

FYI - On my way home this evening, I stopped at a red light right next to a Addison cop in a Tahoe, I looked at him and he looked at me (with 35% tint) and didn't even bat an eye... I know you'll be fine with 35%...
Old 05-10-14, 08:10 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Good new on getting the compliance ticket fixed. Good luck with your replacement tint. You should be good to go with the 35%.