Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

The Offical Chicago Indoor Racing thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-08, 06:50 PM
goelise
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Offical Chicago Indoor Racing thread

Seems like there is enough interest for a group of people to head out to Chicago Indoor Racing(CIR) one night. They are located in Buffalo Grove, IL.

I like to setup one evening next month where we can head out there as a group. I can call up CIR and reserve race times and karts for us.

If you've never tried it before - its a blast!

I'll dig up some video I took when I was raced there last so people can see how its like to race there.
(btw..i am not affiliated with CIR in any way but I love that place!)

The July 11th race is cancelled.

The next race is July 10th. Thursday night at around 8PM.
If you want to race, add yourself to the roster sheet (see my last post in this thread) and PM me your real name so I can use it to reserve a kart for you @ CIR.

I will reserve races and post the exact race times in this post at around 11AM this coming Thursday morning.

Last edited by goelise; 07-08-08 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 06:54 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, lets do it! I'm up for that. We talked about it every year. Might aswell do it!
Old 06-19-08, 07:01 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep it going (LOL). I am sure their will be a great turnout!!
Old 06-19-08, 07:40 PM
eyeconcur
Driver School Candidate

Count me in! Sounds like a blast.

-Steve

Old 06-19-08, 09:18 PM
goelise
Pole Position

I updated the first post in this thread with tentative dates and will put the finalized date that we all vote on as the best day to go.

We'll do what CIR calls a 'Arrive and Drive'.
That is - the day that we decide to go - I'll call CIR that morning around 11AM and see if they have openings for us to reserve. Their policy is that you cannot reserve days ahead unless your doing a Grand Prix event (deposit required). For Arrive and Drives - you must call the day of the race to reserve your spot(s). Sorry I do not know you guys well yet so this is what we can do to reserve race time at CIR.

Hopefully no big event like a birthday or bachelor party is happening on the night we decide on. I will find out when I call CIR that morning. If the tracks are open for reservations, I'll reserve for us and immediately post the exact race times in the first post of this thread. If its your first time your expected to arrive 45 minutes early to register, sign your life away (j/k), watch a safety video, put on your safety gear and race.

Lets finalize the exact day in July by end of this month.

The dates to choose? See the first post in this thread.

3 races good for everyone? I can always go for more but its up to you guys.

My votes for July 3rd. But I'll make any of those dates. You guys decide. For the the sooner the better.

Lets start a roster, please copy and add your name and your choice in the July dates in order of preference from most-to-least preferred. Then put the number of races you'd like to do.

I want to go soon so:

1) goelise. Dates:3,12,19,26. I will race = the max number of races people want to do that night.
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Last edited by goelise; 06-20-08 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-19-08, 11:01 PM
DIrEctQL

17 to 28th July I will be out of the country.
Old 06-20-08, 12:29 AM
Luder94
Lead Lap

1) goelise. Dates:3,12,19,26. I will race = the max number of races people want to do that night.
2) Luder94 I'm good for any day (if it's a weekday and I'm on client, I can't make it).
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
Old 06-20-08, 03:11 AM
goelise
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DIrEctQL
17 to 28th July I will be out of the country.
Sounds like July 3rd (Thursday night) might be a good day? Our odds of having that night to reserve are actually pretty good.

For those wondering about dinner that night - conveniently there is a restaurant on the upper floor called 'Stewarts Bar and Grill' that is decent. I think they give you a discount there after your races.

Last edited by goelise; 06-20-08 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-20-08, 05:39 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally Posted by goelise
Sounds like July 3rd (Thursday night) might be a good day? Our odds of having that night to reserve are actually pretty good.

For those wondering about dinner that night - conveniently there is a restaurant on the upper floor called 'Stewarts Bar and Grill' that is decent. I think they give you a discount there is you were to eat/drink after your races.
Girlfriend's birthday.
Old 06-20-08, 05:52 AM
goelise
Pole Position

Added more possible dates to the original post.

Its in Buffalo Grove not more than a few miles West of 294 and Lake Cook Road.

Hmmm...let me dig up a video I have of CIR racing. Hopefully this will give people an idea of how it is to race there.

edit: here's one from my helmet cam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcbQY1quEDI

this one is a good one, #36 is a more experienced racer than me and we are having a good race. At 3 minutes:50 seconds into the video I get collected by someone that spins out in front of me. I tried to apply my brakes but still made contact! I recovered well though in the later half of the race. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFnAKfUrjfc&feature=user

Not my video but you get a good idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCUkBwCZPl4

Last edited by goelise; 06-20-08 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-21-08, 10:24 PM
DIrEctQL

Added more possible dates to the original post.

Its in Buffalo Grove not more than a few miles West of 294 and Lake Cook Road.

Hmmm...let me dig up a video I have of CIR racing. Hopefully this will give people an idea of how it is to race there.

edit: here's one from my helmet cam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcbQY1quEDI

this one is a good one, #36 is a more experienced racer than me and we are having a good race. At 3 minutes:50 seconds into the video I get collected by someone that spins out in front of me. I tried to apply my brakes but still made contact! I recovered well though in the later half of the race. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFnAKfUrjfc&feature=user

Not my video but you get a good idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCUkBwCZPl4
How much do you weight? You seem to be flying past everyone.
Old 06-22-08, 06:30 AM
goelise
Pole Position

How much do you weight? You seem to be flying past everyone.
LOL! I get that a lot.
I weight in at 160 pounds. 5 foot 8 inches.
My equipment adds another 12-15 pounds. There were many lighter drivers there in that video. I'm not skin and bones and I'm not that heavy either.

That video was taken when I ran with the notfwd.com guys. Really a bunch of nice people. All of them are car fanatics. I hang out there a lot online so come check it out please.

I just don't stab at the gas and only apply the brakes as much as its needed. All the karts there are as close to the same as possible. I know that CIR even tests them to be sure they are capable of achieving the same lap times as others.

Have you raced there before at CIR Chris? Just wondering. Its a great place to keep your skills sharp. I have friends who have not roadraced, they were curious and once they start going with me to CIR, it has helped them recognize the proper lines and such. Now they are hooked and really increasing their skills. I would highly recommend this to anyone before they go try any form of HPDE event or even autocross.

CIR has a ranking system too. Every kart has a transponder and the lap times are recorded to the thousandth of a sec. Most races are decided by whoever recorded the best lap time. Anyways - the system accumulates your race results and you know where you rank compared to the top people. I personally know the guys who rank #1 through #11 there and they are VERY fast and dedicated to the sport. The guy who is ranked #1 at CIR regularly weighs in as a HEAVYWEIGHT - he is around 210 pounds, but the man has skills.

are you signing up? Luder94 already has. Its a fun night as you can see in the videos and looking forward to meeting you guys.

Last edited by goelise; 06-22-08 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-22-08, 06:36 AM
DIrEctQL

LOL! I get that a lot.
I weight in at 160 pounds. 5 foot 8 inches.
My equipment adds another 12-15 pounds. There were many lighter drivers there in that video. I'm not skin and bones and I'm not that heavy either.

That video was taken when I ran with the notfwd.com guys. Really a bunch of nice people. All of them are car fanatics. I hang out there a lot online so come check it out please.

I just don't stab at the gas and only apply the brakes as much as its needed. All the karts there are as close to the same as possible. I know that CIR even tests them to be sure they are capable of achieving the same lap times as others.

Have you raced there before at CIR Chris? Just wondering. Its a great place to keep your skills sharp. I have friends who have not roadraced, they were curious and once they start going with me to CIR, it has helped them recognize the proper lines and such. Now they are hooked and really increasing their skills. I would highly recommend this to anyone before they go try any form of HPDE event or even autocross.

CIR has a ranking system too. Every kart has a transponder and the lap times are recorded to the thousandth of a sec. Most races are decided by whoever recorded the best lap time. Anyways - the system accumulates your race results and you know where you rank compared to the top people. I personally know the guys who rank #1 through #11 there and they are VERY fast and dedicated to the sport. The guy who is ranked #1 at CIR regularly weighs in as a HEAVYWEIGHT - he is around 210 pounds, but the man has skills.

are you signing up? Its a fun night as you can see in the videos.
Yeah, I was there before. I was doing pretty well (4th place) but generally the lighter guys had the advantage on when the course straightened out. They would just zoom by me.
Old 06-22-08, 07:38 AM
goelise
Pole Position

Yeah, I was there before. I was doing pretty well (4th place) but generally the lighter guys had the advantage on when the course straightened out. They would just zoom by me.
Thats the great thing with roadracing karts, there are many factors that contribute to your overall lap time. 4th place is pretty good Chris. Did you participate in a 'Grand Prix' event or a 'Arrive and Drive'? Which track did you run on?
Weight is only part of it, like I said the fastest guys are not necessarily the lightest guys. I raced them and one of 'em weighs at least 40-50 pounds more than me and is faster. They definitely got skillz!

Bottom line is I hope you had a good time when you went there, I find it a blast every time I go. There are beers and burgers to be had upstairs too!

For those who may have your own helmet - you can bring it to CIR and use it. Thankfully, for antibacterial reasons - the shared/rental ones requires the use of a hoodie prior to wearing the rental helmet.

Last edited by goelise; 06-22-08 at 08:02 AM. Reason: more info
Old 06-22-08, 08:59 AM
goelise
Pole Position

Chris - your avatar is cracking me up! lol!

Another tip: if you have gloves like weightlifting gloves or dedicated racing gloves I'd advise you bring 'em.

Come on ClubLexus - lets get a group out there.

Quick Reply: The Offical Chicago Indoor Racing thread