Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pricing, markup, direct vs. dealers

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-22, 12:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Pricing, markup, direct vs. dealers

8 out of 10 of Car Shoppers Paid Above Sticker Price for New Vehicles in January, According to Edmunds

Cadillac, Kia and Land Rover command the highest average transaction prices above MSRP as consumer demand runs high

SANTA MONICA, CA — February 15, 2022 — More car shoppers than ever are paying above sticker price amid inventory shortages and elevated consumer demand. According to the car shopping experts at Edmunds, buyers paid above MSRP in a record 82.2% of all new vehicle purchases, compared to 2.8% in January 2021 and 0.3% in January 2020. Edmunds data reveals that the average transaction price for a new vehicle climbed to $728 above MSRP in January 2022, compared to $2,152 below MSRP in January 2021 and $2,648 below MSRP in January 2020.

"The fact that an overwhelming majority of consumers are paying above sticker price would have been unthinkable even just a year ago," said Jessica Caldwell, Edmunds' executive director of insights. "This is in part driven by affluent consumers being willing to shell out more cash to get the vehicles that they want, but there's also a vast population of individuals who are being forced to do so simply because they need transportation and have no other choice."

Edmunds analysts took a look at the difference in new vehicle average transaction prices and compared them to the average MSRP across automakers to identify the brands commanding the largest amounts above sticker price and the brands yielding the greatest discounts. Cadillac topped the list of brands that commanded above-sticker price, with an average markup of $4,048 in January, followed by Land Rover, with an average markup of $2,565, and Kia, with an average markup of $2,289. Alfa Romeo topped the list of brands that brought below-sticker price, with an average discount of $3,421 in January, followed by Volvo with an average discount of $869 and Lincoln with an average discount of $510. The table below is the full list of brands.

"All eyes have been on Ford and GM since they both publicly called for their dealers to stop charging over MSRP for vehicles. Of all automakers, they might be in the most precarious position since they have very high-profile launches in the near future that appeal to a new type of customer. But looking at the numbers, there are clearly some other automakers who might want to follow suit," said Caldwell. "Savvy dealers, though, are conducting business during this wave of inflation in a way that's mindful of the possible adverse reaction of their customers."

Edmunds' experts say that holding off on a new car purchase would be the most pragmatic move for consumers in this market, but they also note that this course of action might be unrealistic for some individuals given that prices aren't expected to normalize for quite some time.

"Consumers might be waiting up to a year or longer if they want to hold off until the market resembles anything close to the pre-pandemic normal, but some buyers simply cannot wait," said Ivan Drury, Edmunds' senior manager of insights. "If you know you need a new vehicle soon — or if you have a vehicle coming off lease and its term can't be extended — doing extra research is critical to get an advantage, and using the list set forth below is a decent starting point if you're looking out for price discrepancies among different brandse."

Drury advises that car shoppers can get ahead by:
  • Being flexible. Consider alternative vehicle types, brands and colors and be willing to compromise on features.
  • Expanding your search. Widen your geographic search for more selection if you're in a market with lower inventory. But before you hop on a plane, make sure to lock down as much of the deal as possible.
  • Reevaluating before jumping straight into another lease. Lease incentives are becoming increasingly difficult to find, but APR specials are still available. If you prefer leasing, use a car lease calculator like this one on Edmunds to make sure it is going to provide you the value you're looking for.
  • Negotiating for more value. If you're facing markups above MSRP, try to negotiate the adjustment to include add-ons such as warranties, service contracts, protection packages or dealer-installed accessories.
  • Leveraging your greatest asset: your current vehicle. Your car's value is one of your biggest negotiating tools in offsetting the purchase price of your next vehicle. Use it wisely and shop around for appraisals, including on edmunds.com/appraisal/.
  • Acting quickly. If you find a vehicle that meets all your needs, don't wait to immediately reach out and communicate your interest to your local dealer to maximize your chances of driving it home.

​​​​​​​https://www.edmunds.com/industry/pre...o-edmunds.html
Old 02-15-22, 01:12 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,537 Posts

MSRP never meant squat to me, I always based my bargaining on invoice. When the Honda Odyssey was a hot item in the early 2000's, I was interested in buying one but when I tried to bargain with the dealer he looked at me and said "You've never bought an Odyssey before, have you?" I walked away and bought a 2004 Sienna at $500 below MSRP
Old 02-15-22, 01:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,473 Posts

some interesting luxury / high end ATPs...
porsche 105
land rover 90
cadillac 81 (can you say escalade?)
mb 69
jaguar 68
bmw 63
audi 62
genesis 62
lincoln 62
infiniti 55
lexus 54
acura 51

Old 02-15-22, 01:36 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
some interesting luxury / high end ATPs...
porsche 105
land rover 90
cadillac 81 (can you say escalade?)
mb 69
jaguar 68
bmw 63
audi 62
genesis 62
lincoln 62
infiniti 55
lexus 54
acura 51
Interesting stats - is there a comparison to pre-Covid levels.

I’m sure if you remove Macan - Porsche ATP is over $150k probably.
Old 02-15-22, 02:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I’m sure if you remove Macan - Porsche ATP is over $150k probably.
you can say that for all brands (remove 1 series, c class, is/es/ux/nx, etc).

Old 02-15-22, 02:20 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 210 Likes on 180 Posts

I saw today that used cars also are going up even more.
Old 02-15-22, 02:42 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 327 Posts

MSRP is just a number. The market sets the price.
Kinda funny... You pay MSRP for a Tesla. But that MSRP has gone up thousands over the past few months....

It's called the market.
Old 02-15-22, 02:56 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you can say that for all brands (remove 1 series, c class, is/es/ux/nx, etc).
Not really.

The other brands have several entry level models.
BMW - X1, X2, 2series - coupe, GranCoupe
MB - GLA, GLB, CLA, A-class
Old 02-15-22, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I saw today that used cars also are going up even more.

My neighbor, who just brought home a new Bronco Sport yesterday, said that she and her husband saw used 2021 Bronco Sports, at Car Max, marked up higher than the brand-new 2022 they have. (although this might not be apples and apples, if they were not equivalent trim-levels or MSRPs). It also makes one wonder who would trade in a vehicle that is so hard to get even brand-new.
Old 02-15-22, 03:15 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,537 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My neighbor, who just brought home a new Bronco Sport yesterday, said that she and her husband saw used 2021 Bronco Sports, at Car Max, marked up higher than brand-new 2022s. Makes one wonder who would trade in a vehicle that is so hard to get even brand-new.
They probably flipped it for a profit. I mentioned in another post that a coworker took delivery in 2021 of a C8 he ordered in 2020 and flipped it for $20K more than he paid for it
Old 02-15-22, 04:02 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 210 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My neighbor, who just brought home a new Bronco Sport yesterday, said that she and her husband saw used 2021 Bronco Sports, at Car Max, marked up higher than the brand-new 2022 they have. (although this might not be apples and apples, if they were not equivalent trim-levels or MSRPs). It also makes one wonder who would trade in a vehicle that is so hard to get even brand-new.
People are selling, at least listing, 2021 V8 Land Cruisers for $120k plus. Especially the Heritage Edition.
Old 02-15-22, 04:41 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

does count paying over MSRP for those idiotic add ons like $500 for nitrogen filled tires?
Old 02-15-22, 07:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

dang if i could sell my LC500 for more than i paid for it, i probably would.
Old 02-15-22, 07:46 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 417 Likes on 343 Posts

This is an interesting list.
Old 02-16-22, 07:30 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I would LOVE to see the stats on the types of loans people are choosing to get these cars. With these numbers, is it safe to assume most people are financing with 6-8 year car loans? maybe 10 year? Most families don't have $1k in the bank for an emergency - i can't imagine what they need to do to buy a $50k automobile.

Quick Reply: Pricing, markup, direct vs. dealers