EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model Y

Old 01-08-21, 09:15 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Tesla Model Y prices drops by $8,000 with new Standard Range version

Tesla has launched a cheaper variant of the Model Y, bringing its sport utility vehicle’s price closer to that of its Model 3 sedan, the electric-car maker’s least expensive car. The new Standard Range Model Y is priced at $43,190 including destination fee, only $4,000 more than the entry-level Model 3, according to the company’s website.

According to the EPA, the standard range Model Y provides an estimated 244 miles of range, as compared to the 326 miles for the Long Range version and 303 miles for the Performance model. The Standard Range Model Y uses a single motor and is rear-wheel drive. The next-higher Model Y, the dual-motor Long Range, has all-wheel drive and is $8,000 more expensive. It's $51,190 starting price (including destination) is itself the result of a $3,000 price cut last summer. The dual-motor all-wheel-drive Performance model is the top-spec version and starts at $61,190 including destination.
ADVERTISEMENTThe price cut comes as the Ford Mustang Mach-E is arriving in showrooms. The most affordable Mach-E, the Select trim, starts at $43,995 including destination fee, but subtracting the $7,500 federal tax credit drops the price down to $36,495 (there are further state-level credits available as well). That's for a rear-wheel-drive Select with the smaller, 76.8-kilowatt-hour Standard Range battery and 230 miles of range.

Tesla no longer qualifies for the federal tax credit.

Tesla quotes a 0-to-60-mph time of 5.3 seconds for the new Standard Range Model Y, against 4.8 seconds for the Long Range and 3.5 seconds for the Performance versions.

In other Model Y news, a third-row seat is also newly available. Listed as the Seven Seat Interior for $3,000, the package includes the two-passenger third-row seat, sliding seat tracks and reclining seatbacks for the second-row seats, a cargo area power release to fold the seatback, and USB-C charging in the third row.

Tesla’s new Model Y variants come days after the carmaker beat Wall Street targets for 2020 vehicle deliveries, driven by a steady rise in electric vehicle adoption, but narrowly missed its ambitious full-year target of half a million deliveries.
Source
Old 01-08-21, 09:43 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Elon said they would never produce this variant due to the sub 250 mile range. Wonder if sales already slowing on the upper price variants, need this big price reduction point to spur more customers, try to get customers to move up from Model 3, etc.
Old 01-08-21, 09:50 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Clear shot at Ford to go back to the drawing board.

I think Mach E will be massive failure unless they cut the price substantially.

Ppl pay for Tesla brand and put up with the quirks bec of the “cool” image etc. Ford has no such cache. They also recently messed up launch of Explorer and Aviator - i see further problems with this Mach E launch.
Old 01-08-21, 09:54 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

The pricing was due to Ford's entry with their Mach E. The Ford is still cheaper with the tax credit. I wonder if the new administration will provide some more credits to Tesla which could really boost sales. This is a win for consumers no matter what.
Old 01-08-21, 10:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

i don't see ANY chance the govt will give tesla extra federal credits given they're now the 5th most valuable company on the planet. if you're thinking they might as part of some kind of 'green' deal, i still don't see it.

Old 01-08-21, 10:37 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,677 Likes on 2,267 Posts

The government is going to give green credits only to companies that have a certain market cap?
Old 01-08-21, 11:31 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Clear shot at Ford to go back to the drawing board.

I think Mach E will be massive failure unless they cut the price substantially.

Ppl pay for Tesla brand and put up with the quirks bec of the “cool” image etc. Ford has no such cache. They also recently messed up launch of Explorer and Aviator - i see further problems with this Mach E launch.
I disagree. I think it will be a massive success.

Is it just me or does it seem like many prius owners have switch or want to switch to a Tesla. Prius sales peaked in 2013 at 234,000 units for the year. It has dropped drastically to 43k in 2020. I am willing to bet majority of those prius owners and potential prius owners went with a Tesla. If someone was coming from a Prius, I don't think they were switching because of the "cool" image. A Prius was and still is one of the most "uncool" cars. They want something electric, low maintenance, at a good price. Don't see majority of those same Prius owners spending 8k more for a Model Y when they could get a Mach E. IMO Prius owners seem more concern with saving money and being green than looking cool.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure a good amount of Tesla sales are because of the brand as well but a lot is also from people wanting to save money and be green.
Old 01-08-21, 11:44 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blaze876

Is it just me or does it seem like many prius owners have switch or want to switch to a Tesla. Prius sales peaked in 2013 at 234,000 units for the year. It has dropped drastically to 43k in 2020. I am willing to bet majority of those prius owners and potential prius owners went with a Tesla. If someone was coming from a Prius, I don't think they were switching because of the "cool" image. A Prius was and still is one of the most "uncool" cars. They want something electric, low maintenance, at a good price. Don't see majority of those same Prius owners spending 8k more for a Model Y when they could get a Mach E. IMO Prius owners seem more concern with saving money and being green than looking cool.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure a good amount of Tesla sales are because of the brand as well but a lot is also from people wanting to save money and be green.
I agree that Mach E will find success for Ford in being able to retain their customers that are looking to go electric.

As for the Prius, the Prius used to be the biggest eco-car symbol on the planet. That's why many people bought it. Even the rich and famous bought the Prius as a symbol that they cared about the environment.

But now you can achieve that eco-status with a full electric, and one that shows "tech" and semi-luxury? That's where those Prius owners traded out to Tesla.

But Prius sales are also down because now there are lot of hybrids in the Toyota lineup that don't look goofy. You can get Corolla Hybrid, Camry Hybrid, and I believe RAV4 Hybrid is now the best-selling Toyota Hybrid. So i think the MAJORITY of Prius owners are now in other Toyota hybrids.
Old 01-08-21, 11:46 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876

You are right. The number one car that Tesla owners switch from is the Prius. The other large owner group was the BMW 3 series. Probably the enthusiast segment that wanted performance. I also think the Mach E looks better than the Model Y. Of course the charging network is really the biggest deal breaker for Ford right now as Tesla has a significant edge there for the next couple years. At least Ford is being very conservative with their sales expectations given their lack of battery supply.
Old 01-08-21, 11:52 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
At least Ford is being very conservative with their sales expectations given their lack of battery supply.
They will sell everyone they make, maybe they are all spoken for already.
Old 01-08-21, 12:02 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

$50-60k Small Ford crossover with crappy build quality and in this economy - i guess we will see.

Again Tesla is aspirational brand for techies and therefore cool for mainstream. Ford is the opposite. Plus i have significant doubts about how it will perform.
Old 01-08-21, 12:05 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
$50-60k Small Ford crossover with crappy build quality and in this economy - i guess we will see.

Again Tesla is aspirational brand for techies and therefore cool for mainstream. Ford is the opposite. Plus i have significant doubts about how it will perform.
Could say the same about Tesla build quality.

Yes Tesla has become aspirational. But Ford already has millions of existing owners that will eventually shift to electric and they just need to not lose those people. The Mach E is hugely anticipated for the Ford faithful who likely wouldn't consider a Tesla, but would consider the Mach E.
Old 01-08-21, 12:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

There are a lot of people out there that don't like Tesla's aesthetic too, myself included. I would be more likely to buy a Mustang Mach E than I would be a Tesla.
Old 01-08-21, 12:10 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Ford can only make the Mach E in small volume, do people not realize this? We'll see if they can ramp up production in 2022 but this year at best they will produce 50,000.
Old 01-08-21, 12:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

50,000 is a lot lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tesla Model Y