Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Body GS

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-03, 08:13 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Body GS

not 2 b negative here , but does anyone here hope the new GS is ugly? i kind of do. i might get flamed but i will xplain my angle...

1. if its ugly our model won't lose its popularity so quick.
2. if its ugly or doesn't sell well , mayb out value won't go down too much 2 fast.
3. if its ugly i don't have 2 buy it and get into another note
4.and lastly if its ugly , i will turbo my car next summer and not feel bad i didn't save 4 the new GS

anyone out their feel the same? i can't b the only one? chime in , i don't want 2 feel lonely

Last edited by bluelex; 09-24-03 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-24-03, 08:31 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I hope it looks GREAT, and hopefully i can get it for my next car. It would really suck if Lexus messed up the GS series. IMO the 1st and 2nd Gen GS were both the nicest designed out of all Lexus models.

Even if the new GS is ugly, i think it will still sell well. Just look at the ES. Not many people on CL like its styling but it is selling very well.

bluelex,
I agree if the next GS is ugly, i would def be more likely to keep the one i have and TURBO it.
Old 09-25-03, 09:24 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the current GS design cycle has been this long because they are scared to muck it up like they did the others. IMO the new ES,SC and LS are too bland without mods!

The good thing about a long design cycle is ur 98 looks like a 2003 with the tailights installed, and perception is everything with luxury cars. Even 2-3 yrs from now, the 2nd Gen will still be considered late model.

Get the turbo, its the right thing ro do and a tasty way to do it!
Old 09-27-03, 10:13 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

anyone else have an opinion....?
Old 09-27-03, 10:59 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by bluelex
anyone else have an opinion....?
I'm with you dude .
Old 09-27-03, 11:03 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope its a great looking car...and sells for over 75k .

Too many young punks have the pleasure of owning one these days.....i feel like i'm driving a ford focus...everywhere i look, everyone is getting one.

I dont want to drive a popular vehicle around.

You guys feeling me?
Old 09-27-03, 12:43 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

hey i understand that point too , i hope it does cost that much so i won't b able 2 afford ....
Old 09-27-03, 01:22 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

I actually got to see my first GS in person the other day at a lexus dealership. i had seen them on the road, but never been near one. I was amazed to see how large overall the car was, with respect to my SC.... knowing it could own the SC with the new motor the GS was gifted with.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 09-27-03 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-27-03, 01:39 PM
Goldark
Lexus Test Driver

I love the way the current GS looks.
I would not like it to change much on the exterior - maybe more HP/TRQ and interior wise - but the current style can keep on going until I can afford my own GS.

I don't care what happens after that
Old 09-27-03, 08:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Default Re: New Body GS

not 2 b negative here , but does anyone here hope the new GS is ugly? i kind of do. i might get flamed but i will xplain my angle...

2. if its ugly or doesn't sell well , mayb out value won't go down too much 2 fast.
4.and lastly if its ugly , i will turbo my car next summer and not feel bad i didn't save 4 the new GS

anyone out their feel the same? i can't b the only one? chime in , i don't want 2 feel lonely
Well your 'angle' *is* negative, so I completely disagree. If you're worried about new models lowering the value or popularity of your current car, then sell it now.

Change happens.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-27-03 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-28-03, 05:31 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 209 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Re: New Body GS

Even though you say you are not trying to be negative, to me it does sound negative.

Like Bit said, change is inevitable. However I am not worried at all about seeing a better looking and more powerful GS in the future. It's called technological advancement that is as inevitable as the day changing to night.

I am not worried simply because I plan on keeping my current GS for as long as I live - obviously it will become a second car (maybe I will have the new GS someday as my first car - who knows) and will only be driven on sunny weekends when it gets older - but I plan on keeping it for a very long time indeed. It is my first really great car and to me it is not just a car, but a member of my family.

It is an emotional feeling. I compare this feeling with another car a friend of mine got for his 16th birthday (about 20 years ago) - a 1967 Pontiac GTO. He still has the car and he keeps it in top shape. He has disassembled the engine, modified it and reassembled it and the car now puts out about 550 HP, the paint is flawless and the car looks as if it rolled out of a new car showroom. Now that is what I call an emotional attachment to cars. I plan on keeping my car that long.............

This pic says it all.

Old 09-28-03, 05:49 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Re: Re: New Body GS

Originally posted by Hameed
. . . . .

I am not worried simply because I plan on keeping my current GS for as long as I live - obviously it will become a second car (maybe I will have the new GS someday as my first car - who knows) and will only be driven on sunny weekends when it gets older - but I plan on keeping it for a very long time indeed. It is my first really great car and to me it is not just a car, but a member of my family.

It is an emotional feeling. I compare this feeling with another car a friend of mine got for his 16th birthday (about 20 years ago) - a 1967 Pontiac GTO. He still has the car and he keeps it in top shape. He has disassembled the engine, modified it and reassembled it and the car now puts out about 550 HP, the paint is flawless and the car looks as if it rolled out of a new car showroom. Now that is what I call an emotional attachment to cars. I plan on keeping my car that long.............

This pic says it all.

Old 09-28-03, 06:25 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

IMO the 98-03 gs's if hooked up correctly, its a timeless masterpiece. This style can never grow out of style IF its hooked up correctly.
Old 09-28-03, 06:28 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 209 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally posted by DIESELMAN63
IMO the 98-03 gs's if hooked up correctly, its a timeless masterpiece. This style can never grow out of style IF its hooked up correctly.
That's precisely why I will keep mine for a very long time (mine is still not hooked up completely, but it will be in a year or two). It is indeed a timeless style, like the 95 Nissan 300 ZX TT or the Mazda Miata or one of the older Corvettes.............
Old 09-28-03, 08:48 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by GS4fun
I hope its a great looking car...and sells for over 75k .

Too many young punks have the pleasure of owning one these days.....i feel like i'm driving a ford focus...everywhere i look, everyone is getting one.

I dont want to drive a popular vehicle around.

You guys feeling me?
Thats the bad part of a long design cycle. I can go by a 98 gs with very high mileage for 15k, and if I get a color like black, I can just change the tails and it will 'look' like a brand new one! Thats why those "punks" are driving them around!

Dont forget though, a 01-02 430 is STILL in the mid to high 30k in price, not many folks driving THOSE!!