Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"Green terrorism" at GM

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-03, 12:38 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by EDGE2
Karmas a *****
Eh, that line only has effect when something bad happens to someone (not when you picture it happening in your head)...

watch someone in an H2 rearends lex400sc toyota, hey if H2 are Tahoes then
This from the guy that drives a gloriflied Camry (fwd too!)...

Rearend me? Fine! That's good Karma when H2 homie's insurance goes up when they cut me a check for an SC300 5-speed and a SP57 turbo kit, LOL.

lex400sc is a freakin idiot, some organization set fire to someones property and this guy get excited, whats next they kill the saleman that sell them.

If you where not an ELF member why did you say you where not, thats the 1st thing a member says
I think we know who the real idiot is now...

PS: 'excited' isn't a synonym for 'hilarious'

If you where not an ELF member why did you say you where not, thats the 1st thing a member says
Question: Are you a member of ELF?
Old 08-25-03, 12:39 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by bitkahuna
But I DON'T agree with ELF, or lex400sc (surprise) on their actions/points. lex400sc - you may 'hate' the H2 (your word), but as 1Sick pointed out, why hate a vehicle, shouldn't you be hating the people who actually 'love' H2s? I'm sure you hate them also, but what about this being a free country? Hasn't the world got bigger problems than a few people owning H2's? Sure we can say it deepens our dependence on Middle East oil, but the number of H2's on the road is negligible. Owning an H2 *is* ridiculous, but it's not a national security problem. I hope we haven't lost our right to be ridiculous. Same could be said for driving an SC400 also.

How about this? Owning an H2 will increase the demand for Iraqi oil helping their reconstruction, so dammit, owning an H2 must be patriotic! (tongue firmly in cheek)
Well I didn't expect you'd agree with me on this one, I just thought it was some comical news to brighten up my day. True I shouldn't hate the H2 car itself, it's just one of those cars on the road that you can never appreciate because it has no likeable qualities--yet the cattle buy them anyway! But I do hate the H2 because it is symbolic of this never-ending fascination with loud, heavy, large, gas-guzzling boat-on-wheels culture that's risen in America. This 6 liter, 8600 pound, 9 mpg toy is an abomination! Sure we can make it, sure we can sell it, but that doesn't make it a good idea! In Europe and Japan, vehicles are much smaller, lighter, more efficient, more reliable, hell the average engine size in Europe is 1.6 - 2.4 liters. Here it's like 4.0 liters and the goal is to get that 7.3 liter truck! Is that what we really need today in America when it's come to the point that we're sending off soldiers to other countries to bring us back more cheap oil?

Let me try and paint some context...I hate H2s like you probably hate NYWIZARD's car. Sure it's his and he can do what he wants with it, free country, but the mere fact that that car exists reflects poorly on you and your GS, no matter how tastefully modded. H2s reflect poorly on America because it's a gigantic waste machine. It wastes materials and energy all day and wears down public roads like crazy. I happen to care about the future of America, no matter how grim the outlook is, and I can tell you the H2 is a problem, not a solution. I have the same feelings of resentment for that car that you all do for NYWIZARD's GS. It's not to the extent that I would attack or destroy one intentionally, but I would lose all respect for someone I just met if I found out he/she actually bought and drove one. Hey, if you saw the NYWIZARD GS with "rice" spray-painted on it, you'd chuckle too
Old 08-25-03, 12:57 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was so glad when Ford cancelled the Excursion, that was truly a beast.

Ya, the ELF got their message out, but the message is: "we're destructive tree-huggers who save the environment by burning plastic, oil, fabric, polymers, etc (H2) by burning trees (homes), and by causing more destruction." These destructive acts just cause more anymocity and closes peoples' ears to their message.

The ELF's beliefs about the environment and conservation are good concerns, it's just the methods they use that pisses people off.
Old 08-25-03, 02:43 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

People drive corvetts and M3 and they not setting them on fire, in my opinion to many people with free rights to do what they want
I think the M3's automatically catch on fire..
Old 08-25-03, 08:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally posted by lex400sc
In Europe and Japan, vehicles are much smaller, lighter, more efficient, more reliable, hell the average engine size in Europe is 1.6 - 2.4 liters. Here it's like 4.0 liters and the goal is to get that 7.3 liter truck! Is that what we really need today in America when it's come to the point that we're sending off soldiers to other countries to bring us back more cheap oil?
I left Europe to get away from those 'features'. In Europe, vehicles are generally very cramped (I'm 6'3"), slow (especially with automatics, which most don't have), and many have no air conditioning. I really think you should try living in Europe lex400sc to see what it's really like. Funny how low immigration rates TO Europe are compared with immigration rates TO the U.S.

Let me try and paint some context...I hate H2s like you probably hate NYWIZARD's car. Sure it's his and he can do what he wants with it, free country, but the mere fact that that car exists reflects poorly on you and your GS, no matter how tastefully modded.
I don't hate NYWIZARD's car, and I don't feel it reflects poorly on me and my GS. I'm pretty libertarian in this regard - he's not hurting anyone with his car mods - more power to him. It's not my style, but I know he's worked hard to do what he's done, and he's having fun winning contests. Good for him.

H2s reflect poorly on America because it's a gigantic waste machine. It wastes materials and energy all day and wears down public roads like crazy. I happen to care about the future of America, no matter how grim the outlook is, and I can tell you the H2 is a problem, not a solution.
That's the difference between you and I, and generally between the left and right. I don't think the outlook for the future of America is grim at all. I think it's enormously bright. Sure we have problems, but that's life. Would you rather live in any other country? If not, then I guess their situation must be more grim?

Hey, if you saw the NYWIZARD GS with "rice" spray-painted on it, you'd chuckle too
I wouldn't. I respect people's property.
Old 08-25-03, 12:34 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Default SUV rally

WEST COVINA, Calif. — Public officials, firefighters and Hummer fans rallied outside an auto dealership to denounce the unidentified vandals who did $1 million in damage as an environmental protest.

"We don't disagree with the need to improve fuel efficiency," said West Covina (search) City Councilman Mike Miller. "But vandalism doesn't get the message across."

About 25 members of a Southern California Hummer (search) fan club joined officials outside Clippinger Chevrolet for Sunday's rally. They toured the area where fires early Friday gutted a parts warehouse and destroyed 20 Hummer H2s. Another 20 Hummers and several Chevrolet Tahoes were significantly damaged by fire and spray-painting.

Three other dealers and at least four privately owned vehicles in the area also were damaged during the vandalism spree.

Miller said council members planned to meet with local auto dealers this week to discuss ways to improve security.

"We are concerned," said Josh Sage, a sales manager at Huntington Beach Chrysler Jeep and Hummer. The dealership moved its Hummers to a back lot and hired an extra security guard to patrol all night, he said.

The Earth Liberation Front (search), a loose association of militant environmentalists that has claimed responsibility for other acts of arson and vandalism, said in an unsigned e-mail Friday that the incidents were "ELF actions" but added it had not be in contact with those responsible.

Slogans such as "Fat, Lazy Americans" and "I (heart) pollution" were painted on vehicles.
Old 08-25-03, 06:01 PM
LexFather

I was merely making statements from both sides of the fence. Bit, thanks for correcting me I did not know that.

As stated, if u want to stop them from making them, stop people from buying them. Look at the Thunderbird, Blackwood, Prowler, Maurader, etc when they don't make money, they get tossed.

Old 08-26-03, 09:27 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lex400sc
You don't they they're making a difference? They got their message out to you didn't they???? Most people would have never heard of ELF if not for their attacks.

Gutless - would you prefer these ELF folk attack the dealerships while people were there? Would that make them tough and brave?

Mindless - would it be more mindful to stage this vandalism and arson in broad day light with employees, shoppers, bystanders, and of course law enforcement roaming about? Nice way to hurt people, impede your task, and get arrested! Right now they accomplished their mission successfully with zero casualties, and are scot free!

Unintelligent - like I said, their message was spread all across the newswire, the daily paper, and the internet, and reached millions more people than anything else they could have done. Which news agency would have covered a peaceful environmentalist march through Washington? Who would tune in? They did what worked best for them.
Well, let's just say that if I want to buy an H2 (which would never happen) a bunch of passive-agressive tree-huggers are NOT going to stop that from happening. I'm sure these sad little people are not going to affect H2 sales by any means. Their message seems to be that they don't have the guts to confront anyone directly.... no THAT would be too risky.

The idea is to be creative enough to get your message across and simultaneously demonstrate that you have at least half a brain in your head.

Regardless of the press they received from this, they only end up looking like what they are - idiots.

It's called "mind your own F-ing business, Moonbeam Sunshine, part of being an American is the ability to love one's life the way one desires." That's what I would be telling these people.