Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 BMW 840i Gran Coupe First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-19, 06:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2020 BMW 840i Gran Coupe First Drive

ALGARVE, Portugal – You love driving, but your kids are growing and the idea of a crossover or a three-box sedan is just so boring. The crush of reality is real, but so is the call of the open road – which begs the question: is there a four-seater that won’t embarrass you, and more importantly, could it possibly be entertaining enough to fling across your favorite backroad like the sports cars you savored in your youth?

The abhorrently named “four-door coupe” phenomenon has been a thing now for some time, but sleek sedans haven’t always been the ultimate performance solution. Take the Mercedes-Benz CLS and Audi A7, which apart from their high-dollar, high-powered performance variants, fall on the cushy side of things. The new 2020 BMW8 Series Gran Coupe is different. It fully inherits the dynamic talents of the traditional BMW 840i Coupe, but caters to those unsatisfied by its minuscule rear seats and the inherent practical limits of any two-door car.

The Gran Coupe's 15.5 cubic-foot trunk is only marginally bigger than the Coupe's surprisingly large space, but that's really where things diverge. Based on BMW’s CLAR platform, the 8 Series Gran Coupe's wheelbase is 7.9 inches longer, the roof 2.2 inches taller, and the track now wider than any production BMW. So expansive is its stance that its assembly line in Dingolfing, Germany, needed to be altered to make sure the new car could fit. The most dramatic dimensional alteration is to the back seat, though, where the Gran Coupe gains a remarkable 7.1 inches of legroom (meaning you no longer have to amputate your legs to fit in the back), and a positively humane increase of 7.7 inches of shoulder space. I’m 5-foot-11 and sat “behind myself” in the rear seat, finding it to be perfectly livable.

But that seat with the steering wheel is (arguably) the most important one in a BMW, and so I approach the 840i and its 3.0-liter 335-horsepower turbo inline-six with somewhat low expectations. After all, my street test of this slope-tailed four-door immediately followed an exhilarating track drive of the 617-horsepower M8 Competition Coupe. Of course it was disappointing – right? Well, wait a minute. Sure, there’s a distinctly humbler cylinder count and horsepower rating, but this entry-level Gran Coupe trimmed out in rear-drive weighs in at 4,262 pounds, a full 496 lbs below its V8-powered M850i Gran Coupe sibling. While no screamer, the new inline-six’s twin-scroll turbocharger is claimed to respond quicker, while a max torque of 368 pound-feet is squeezed out between 1,600 and 4,500 rpm. Its 0-60 time of 5.2 seconds may be three-tenths of a second slower than the 840i xDrive version, but the rear-drive 840i still feels plenty brisk once it gets going, accelerating hard before each smooth shift.

For reference, the 522-horsepower M850i hits 60 mph in less than 4 seconds, while adding additional performance goodies that include beefier brakes, an M sport differential and an adaptive suspension. It also starts at $109,895, including destination, whereas the 840i kicks things off at $85,895. Despite that massive price difference, my 840i test car thoroughly surprised with how it shrank around the driver during a lively drive through Portugal’s mountainous southern expanses. Sure, it’s got a longer wheelbase than the traditional coupe, but the four-door still has an advanced chassis with doses of aluminum, magnesium and carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic that reduces weight throughout, yielding a level of maneuverability that defies its footprint.

Similarly, the eight-speed automatic shifts smoothly and quickly, working with GPS maps of the road ahead for curvature-appropriate gear selections, or manually via the wheel-mounted paddle shifters. While the $650 crystal shift **** (pictured below) coupled with the $3,500 full Merino leather trim seem a tad precious for a sports sedan, the drive is absolutely rewarding, with accurate steering, crisp turn-in and outstanding body control from the optional adaptive suspension package bundled with 20-inch wheels.

Perhaps more unexpected than the BMW’s dialed-in road manners is the volumetric capacity it packs behind the two front seats. You simply don’t expect to have as much legroom or shoulder room in a so-called four-door coupe, yet the 8 Series manages to feel spacious enough for all-day comfort. Its luxury credentials are also not in doubt given richly appointed details like the standard Nappa leather-topped dashboard and upper door panels. One of the few criticisms of the interior is the graphic design of the 12.3-inch instrument cluster (pictured above), which is bit too stylized for my tastes (and a position shared by multiple Autoblog editors). At least the 10.25-inch multimedia touchscreen is managed relatively intuitively via iDrive.

While the 2020 BMW 840i Gran Coupe delivers the requisite design tastiness you’d expect in this nichey segment, it goes beyond that to package satisfying driving dynamics into the mix. It prioritizes the person behind the wheel, more so than the CLS and A7, which is good as their prices start at around $15,000 less. Perhaps some may balk that's too much of a premium to pay, but the new four-door 8 Series is at least another illustration of BMW trending back towards the core values once upheld by its famed motto of being the ultimate driving machine. While we can’t wait to sample an even fiercer engine in the Gran Coupe body style, the 840i’s outstanding chassis and harmonious driving dynamics prove it to be more than enough car for anyone seeking to make a stylish four-door statement.
Source
Old 09-25-19, 07:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

BMW, of course, can do as it pleases, but I don't agree with calling a sedan with four conventional doors a coupe. That, IMO, makes as much sense as putting screen doors on a submarine.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-25-19 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-25-19, 08:45 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I like it.
Old 09-25-19, 08:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Interior looks meh...
Old 09-25-19, 09:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Interior looks meh...

Looks more like a Nissan inside than a typical BMW.
Old 09-25-19, 10:58 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

That is not the interior of a 70K car let alone a 100K plus car. It is pretty much identical to a entry level 3 series. Really dull.
Old 09-25-19, 11:29 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

This Gran Coupe > Coupe version, I like the exterior ...
Old 09-26-19, 05:10 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Except for the fuggly grill it looks like every other sedan on the market. Where's the cup holders?
Old 09-26-19, 11:36 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,509 Likes on 1,806 Posts

I've said this about some Lexus products, and even other brands, but I'll say it again. Those small pictures don't give you any idea about the interior quality. To say it "looks like a Nissan" - well, that's the end of it. It only "looks" that way. The level of build quality and materials selection is sure to be befitting of a BMW, not a mainstream brand. I'd always thought the previous-gen 3-series had a really boring interior, but after driving one not too long ago, I came around on it. Yeah it might look boring in pictures, but it had fantastic seats, squishy steering-wheel leather, soft-touch everywhere, and an overall inviting vibe. You don't get that information by looking at a picture.

One thing I can see, however, from looking at that photo is the stitched padding that runs all the way down the center console, which I'd definitely appreciate. Overall, I like this car no matter if it's a little overpriced.
Old 09-26-19, 02:18 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Most BMW interiors are trash IMO unless you get the higher-end models. Like the M550 different M package leather and up then the seats drastically improve. Anything lower and the seats are like sandpaper and feel like cheap leather. BMW gets away with this type of crap because of the name. Those seats look like the base seats which will feel like crap. If you want the soft real leather seats you'll have to opt for the $3000 package I'm sure.
Old 09-26-19, 09:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree Gojirra99, this looks better than the 2-door
Old 09-27-19, 05:19 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
Most BMW interiors are trash IMO unless you get the higher-end models. Like the M550 different M package leather and up then the seats drastically improve. Anything lower and the seats are like sandpaper and feel like cheap leather. BMW gets away with this type of crap because of the name. Those seats look like the base seats which will feel like crap. If you want the soft real leather seats you'll have to opt for the $3000 package I'm sure.
I have the upgraded leather in my M340 and it really isn’t soft leather like that of the semi analiine leather of a Lexus. It’s still pretty hard. I noticed the same with Mercedes when I test drove one. Maybe it wears better being that hard but it definitely doesn’t feel premium like I’m used to.
Old 09-27-19, 05:49 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,509 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I have the upgraded leather in my M340 and it really isn’t soft leather like that of the semi analiine leather of a Lexus. It’s still pretty hard. I noticed the same with Mercedes when I test drove one. Maybe it wears better being that hard but it definitely doesn’t feel premium like I’m used to.
Fair point, the leather quality in most Lexus cars I've been in is still the best I've experienced outside of really expensive cars. But I still feel comparing the 8-series to a Nissan is like comparing a Navigator to a Mistubishi.

I will say, when I drove that XF recently, its leather was pretty disappointing. Not soft, and not the smoothest. The Macan Turbo was better. Softer and smoother, but not as nice to the touch as even the (faux leather) NuLuxe in my IS. The Genesis G80 was fine, on par with the last real-leather ES I drove. My friend's 335i has pretty good leather, certainly better than the XF but perhaps a notch below that Porsche.
Old 09-27-19, 11:47 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Fair point, the leather quality in most Lexus cars I've been in is still the best I've experienced outside of really expensive cars. But I still feel comparing the 8-series to a Nissan is like comparing a Navigator to a Mistubishi.

I will say, when I drove that XF recently, its leather was pretty disappointing. Not soft, and not the smoothest. The Macan Turbo was better. Softer and smoother, but not as nice to the touch as even the (faux leather) NuLuxe in my IS. The Genesis G80 was fine, on par with the last real-leather ES I drove. My friend's 335i has pretty good leather, certainly better than the XF but perhaps a notch below that Porsche.
For a non-luxury brand the Laguna leather in the Durango SRT was really nice. We didn't opt for it in our because we didn't like the shade of red it came in but it was really soft and comfortable.

As for the NuLuxe, we had the rioja red NuLuxe in our IS and I liked it a lot. It looked just as good after 3 years as it did when we got it.