ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   Jaguar Xj8 (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/92478-jaguar-xj8.html)

J.P. 08-17-03 09:11 AM

Jaguar Xj8

1 Attachment(s)
I personally never really look at Jags for some reason, they also don’t come up in conversation on here often.

I was at the theater last night checking out bad boys 2 and they had a XJ8 inside the theater, it looked like it had 18-19’s, almost like it was dropped – wheels almost tucked. It looked OK for jag, I never seem to pay much attention to them.

I wonder what platform they based it on, the crown Vic maybe?

D-MAN63 08-17-03 09:54 AM

The Jag has some wicked power. My friend used to have a XJ8 supercharged version (I believe it has 390HP). He used to kill me all the time. I believe it does 0-60 in 5.2-5.3 sec range. The only Jag that I like is the S-type. If I am not mistaken, isn't there a new S-type called S-Type R? It has like 400 horses or something?

J.P. 08-17-03 10:28 AM

Yeah the supercharged Xj8 is 390ish and wicked fast.

The S-type is nice looking when fixed up right, but I think it is based on the LS platform which isn't so good from what I know, the the supercharged s type seems really quick, I see one on the highway take off from 65ish and it booked!

bitkahuna 08-17-03 10:52 AM

The newest XJ8 is a wonderful piece of engineering. Much lighter, better suspension, roomier, but not bigger overall, better amenities - GREAT car.

jpa - I'm sure it's not based on a Crown Vic - Jag does their own platforms for the most part.

J.P. 08-17-03 11:09 AM

Thanks Bit. I thought I seen a slight crown vic look towards the back that is what gave me the hint.

The xj8 in person looked very nice, very sporty looking for a stock car, it has class yet it seemed strong, I liked it.

LB Lex 08-17-03 11:12 AM

They are different platforms, one clue is the solid rear axle on the Crown Vic while the Jag has an independent rear suspension.

J.P. 08-17-03 11:13 AM

"It is fairly common knowledge that the S-Type platform has been developed in conjunction with the upcoming Lincoln LS model. Because of this, cynics might say the Jag is nothing more than a tarted up Lincoln, but in reality the two cars look and feel very different. At the front, there's no mistaking the S-Type as anything other than a Jag. It has two large and two small headlamps along with an oval radiator grille that sticks prominently forward such that its lower edge is right at the front of the bumper. From the rear the S-Type has a nicely crouched stance -- as though the cat is about to pounce. It has trademark triangular-shaped taillights. "

My Ford friends have me spooked on the LS, it's not really my taste anyway so I wouldn't buy one if they said good things, but I wonder how much they really have in common? If I recall, the interiors are some what similar, then again people could say the same about the Aristo and the GS, so I understand different labels does not mean just a rebadged car.

J.P. 08-17-03 11:26 AM

"The ground-up renovation of the XJ started with a new chassis, derived from Ford's corporate DEW98 platform -- the basic architecture underneath the Lincoln LS, Ford Thunderbird and mid-size Jaguar S-type. When Jaguar's engineering department was finished, however, there wasn't much left of the original Lincoln design.

The all-independent suspension features double wishbones, self-leveling air springs and stabilizer bars front and rear, with controlled electronically active damping. The result is a superior ride with excellent handling characteristics in a large luxury sedan that weighs 3,800 pounds.

That's 570 pounds less than the BMW 745i, a remarkable feat made possible by the cutting-edge technology and materials employed by Jaguar.

The body of the XJ is made of lightweight aluminum alloy, with the whole structure riveted and bonded using aerospace techniques. (Appropriately, the car is assembled at a totally updated factory in the British Midlands that used to build Spitfire airplanes in World War II.)

While the new XJ sedan is longer, taller and wider than its predecessor, the '04 model weighs 200 pounds less and is 60 percent stiffer, which makes for a quieter cabin and a more controlled ride.

The result is breathtaking performance from the 4.2-liter V-8. Fitted with a standard ZF six-speed automatic transmission, the rear-wheel-drive XJ8 sprints from zero to 60 miles an hour in just 6.3 seconds. Its more potent sibling, the XJR, features a supercharged 390-horsepower version of the same engine and can do the 0-60 dash in five seconds flat. "

Sounds like with this effort, they can save Jag.

<VENOM> 08-17-03 11:41 AM

Car looks sweet, seen at least a dozen on the road in the last week, sadly I saw one being transported with a Focus:egads:

I'd like to know what powertrain components are Ford parts, my father would have bought one but their connection with Ford he went with a Lexus

bitkahuna 08-17-03 11:51 AM

Originally posted by jpa2400
...then again people could say the same about the Aristo and the GS, so I understand different labels does not mean just a rebadged car.
But the Aristo and the GS are the same car.
:confused:

J.P. 08-17-03 12:23 PM

"But the Aristo and the GS are the same car."

You don't think any additional steps in the quality process are added to the Lexus line? Do you think the cars are identically the same? Maybe I am wrong.

RON430 08-17-03 12:59 PM

Whether they are based on the same platform or not, the similarity between XJ8 and Crown Vic tail lights is something that isn't exactly hard to see. New XJ8 is probably the best XJ ever. And by a lot. But outside of the horsepower in the R versions, they tend to not quite measure up to the competition. They do have a pretty nice ride but give up some handling and what is very unusual for Jag, they are really starting to fall behind in braking even with a weight advantage.

bitkahuna 08-17-03 02:17 PM

Originally posted by jpa2400
"But the Aristo and the GS are the same car."

You don't think any additional steps in the quality process are added to the Lexus line? Do you think the cars are identically the same? Maybe I am wrong.

No, I think they're identical, built in the same plant. Except that the Aristo has been offered with the twin turbo option of course, and probably is sold with less content sometimes than in the U.S. (e.g., cloth interior).

J.P. 08-17-03 04:14 PM

Hum. I have no backing for this aside from assumptions, but I figured extra quality steps would be put in place, possibly some high quality parts, mechanical and non-mechanical such as leather but maybe not. The jaguar vanden plas comes with a higher quality leather for example over the standard Xj8. The highest overhead in manufacturing is typically quality, I figured with Lexus being a premium brand they could justify the severe quality control process in the price, but maybe they roll off the line the same as the Toyota's.

I hit the dealer to checkout the jags, the supercharged version came with 19's, 255/40, it looked very aggressive. The trunks looked large, although the GS isn't exactly in the same class, the GS trunk is a little small. The XJ8 seemed like a very large car, long front end.

<VENOM> 08-17-03 05:06 PM

Originally posted by bitkahuna
the Aristo has been offered with the twin turbo option of course, and probably is sold with less content sometimes than in the U.S. (e.g., cloth interior).
Is that the 300 or 430 that comes with the TT option, why can't Lexus offer this to the US, would be a hell of an M5 competitor