Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac Parked On Brooklyn Street For 25 Years Finally Towed

Old 07-17-19, 06:07 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Cadillac Parked On Brooklyn Street For 25 Years Finally Towed

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...BBnb4R5#page=2

Cadillac Parked On Brooklyn Street For 25 Years Finally Towed

A legend is gone.

© Motor1.com 1971 Cadillac towed from Brooklyn

Seasons change but the old, rusty Cadillac parked on Brooklyn Street remains the same. According to estimates by a longtime neighborhood resident, it’s been there since 1994. Twenty-five years later, the 1971 Caddy made its final run being towed away by the New York Police Department after a Windsor Park resident complained.

The New York Daily News reports the vehicle was a local landmark. It was owned by an elderly man reportedly suffering from mental illness, who was unable to take care of it, according to local residents. Interestingly, the 1970s sedan had a current New York inspection sticker. After a recent complaint however, the car was ticketed by a street cleaner and, shortly after, towed to the NYPD’s Erie Basin Auto Pound.

“It’s a safety hazard,” one woman who moved into the neighborhood of Prospect Park three years ago told Daily News. “My children walk by it every day. It needs to go away.” Another neighbor added: “Everybody had to move except — you guessed it! This Cadillac is even above films. No ticket and no tow.”

No one was actually sure when the car was last moved from its location. New parking rules couldn’t relocate the Caddy and even a recent city filming permit that asked all residents to move their cars couldn’t change anything. The luxury sedan from decades ago was stuffed from floor to roof with yellow newspapers and empty water bottles.

However, not everyone was happy when the vehicle was towed by the city. “That car is a staple in this community,” said a neighbor that goes by the name of Jake. “Those who gawk at it and want to get rid of it aren’t real Brooklynites."

Photo: Karen Xia / New York Daily News

Old 07-17-19, 06:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The article is mistaken. That is not a 1971 Cadillac, but a 1969 or 1970. Trust me....I grew up with those cars. Cadillacs were totally redesigned for 1971.
Old 07-17-19, 06:30 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Sounds like the lady (loose term) that moved in and wanted to change everything around her to her needs should get a special package from the rest of the community.
Old 07-18-19, 04:59 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

How it wasn't ticketed, and still had hubcaps, wheels, tires, bumpers, lights and anything removable still in tact is a true miracle.
Old 07-18-19, 05:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
However, not everyone was happy when the vehicle was towed by the city. “That car is a staple in this community,” said a neighbor that goes by the name of Jake. “Those who gawk at it and want to get rid of it aren’t real Brooklynites."
Because ‘real’ Brooklynites want a giant rusted hulk filled with old newspapers and water bottles for decades on the street. What an idiot.

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Sounds like the lady (loose term) that moved in and wanted to change everything around her to her needs should get a special package from the rest of the community.
Wow. Don’t agree with your assertion that she wanted to change *everything* around her, nor that she should be harassed by the ‘rest of the community’. car was an eyesore.
Old 07-18-19, 06:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
How it wasn't ticketed, and still had hubcaps, wheels, tires, bumpers, lights and anything removable still in tact is a true miracle.

In NYC, I would tend to agree.....athough, outside of old-car collectors, there probably isn't much of a potential black-market in used or stolen auto parts for vehicles like that......certainly not like the huge business in stolen Accord and Camry parts.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-18-19 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-18-19, 06:26 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm torn on this. On one hand I can't stand nasally voiced midwestern immigrants that transplant to NYC, whine about things that true New Yorkers do and try to change it to appease their gluten free wet dreams. But on the other hand, I can't stand the old cranks that think curb space exists for them to store their effing cars.
Old 07-18-19, 06:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
But on the other hand, I can't stand the old cranks that think curb space exists for them to store their effing cars.
The article tells us that it had a current NY inspection sticker, so, unless the sticker was fraudulently-obtained (and, unfortunately, sometimes that does happen with dishonest people in the system who can be bribed), one must assume that it passed a legal safety inspection. We don't know, from the article, if it had a current registration or Emissions-inspection certificate. If so, then it was probably legal, as long as it wasn't parked in a No-Parking zone.
Old 07-18-19, 06:40 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I'm torn on this. On one hand I can't stand nasally voiced midwestern immigrants that transplant to NYC, whine about things that true New Yorkers do and try to change it to appease their gluten free wet dreams. But on the other hand, I can't stand the old cranks that think curb space exists for them to store their effing cars.
Yeah, you really have to watch out for those "nasally voiced midwestern immigrants ". Nothing but trouble.
Old 07-18-19, 06:41 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The article tells us that it had a current NY inspection sticker, so, unless the sticker was fraudulently-obtained (and, unfortunately, sometimes that does happen with dishonest people in the system who can be bribed), one must assume that it passed a legal safety inspection. We don't know, from the article, if it had a current registration or Emissions-inspection certificate. If so, then it was legal, as long as it wasn't parked in a No-Parking zone.
in NYC, curbside private car storage creates all the traffic clusterpluck. You have people storing their cars for free for days at the curb, while commercial vehicles have to double park to make their deliveries, and then cars and buses get stuck behind these double parked vehicles, and the traffic becomes insane. I believe curbside parking should be repurposed to bus lanes, bicycle lanes, and commercial loading zones. Let car owners store their cars inside private garages.
Old 07-18-19, 06:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Let car owners store their cars inside private garages.
I doubt there’s enough private garages for everyone to do that.
Old 07-18-19, 06:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The article tells us that it had a current NY inspection sticker, so, unless the sticker was fraudulently-obtained (and, unfortunately, sometimes that does happen with dishonest people in the system who can be bribed), one must assume that it passed a legal safety inspection.
Do you honestly think that pile of junk could pass an inspection? Wouldn’t that require it to be actually driven to an inspection place? How’s that work since it apparently hadn’t moved in year?
Old 07-18-19, 06:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I forgot to add one thing...I don't know the specific law in NYC, but many jurisdictions consider a vehicle 25 years or older to be a legal antique, and exempt from some of the registration/taxation/emission laws for other vehicles. This vehicle is 48 years old.....almost twice that age.
Old 07-18-19, 06:50 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yeah, you really have to watch out for those "nasally voiced midwestern immigrants ". Nothing but trouble.
They are just annoying and out of place, and should be gathered and sent back to Pennsylhiobraska.
Old 07-18-19, 06:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Do you honestly think that pile of junk could pass an inspection? Wouldn’t that require it to be actually driven to an inspection place? How’s that work since it apparently hadn’t moved in year?

I addressed that in post #13....something I had forgotten to add earlier.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cadillac Parked On Brooklyn Street For 25 Years Finally Towed