Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac Parked On Brooklyn Street For 25 Years Finally Towed

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-19, 06:52 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I forgot to add one thing...I don't know the specific law in NYC, but many jurisdictions consider a vehicle 25 years or older to be a legal antique, and exempt from some of the registration/taxation/emission laws for other vehicles. This vehicle is 48 years old.....almost twice that age.
Yep, there are two cars parked on my block with historic plates - a Pontiac woody wagon and a a Ford Aerostar. They only move for street cleaning, both have historic plates, and they are exempt from state inspection.
Old 07-18-19, 06:54 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I doubt there’s enough private garages for everyone to do that.
So car owners should be allowed to store their private property for free in the public right of way? Roads are collectively paid for by tax payers, so why should car owners disproportionately benefit? Why can't non car owners store containers filled with their personal property at the curb?
Old 07-18-19, 07:12 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Again, I am torn on this. I can see how this car is a community staple, and it's very annoying when these antisocial suburban gentrifiers move in, and try to destroy the culture of Brooklyn neighborhoods, maligning the customs of the people that lived here for generations.

But like I said before, private cars should not be stored at the curb, especially if they are not moving for decades and becoming a hazard.
Old 07-18-19, 07:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Again, I am torn on this. I can see how this car is a community staple, and it's very annoying when these antisocial suburban gentrifiers move in, and try to destroy the culture of Brooklyn neighborhoods, maligning the customs of the people that lived here for generations.
ok, enough of the haterade for people who move to NYC. not sure you were born there either?

hard to understand how you consider this gigantic rust bucket part of the ‘culture of Brooklyn neighborhoods’.

But like I said before, private cars should not be stored at the curb, especially if they are not moving for decades and becoming a hazard.
Agree they should not be ‘stored’ there, but if someone actually uses their vehicle, has a right to park outside where they live, and can’t park their car in a private garage either due to cost or lack of availability nearby, then i think they should be able to.
Old 07-18-19, 07:23 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
with historic plates - a Ford Aerostar. .
This is the saddest thing I have read in a long time.
Old 07-18-19, 07:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
So car owners should be allowed to store their private property for free in the public right of way? Roads are collectively paid for by tax payers, so why should car owners disproportionately benefit? Why can't non car owners store containers filled with their personal property at the curb?
A car is not the same as a container, and car owners pay registration, fuel taxes, sales tax, etc.

bottom line there simply isn’t enough space in most of nyc and neighborhoods for cars. If i lived there i definitely would not own a car.
Old 07-18-19, 07:50 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

ok, enough of the haterade for people who move to NYC. not sure you were born there either?

hard to understand how you consider this gigantic rust bucket part of the ‘culture of Brooklyn neighborhoods’.
It's going to be hard for a non Brooklynite to understand this, but we are nostalgic when it comes to certain things. And again, this car is not a particularly good example.

Agree they should not be ‘stored’ there, but if someone actually uses their vehicle, has a right to park outside where they live, and can’t park their car in a private garage either due to cost or lack of availability nearby, then i think they should be able to.
I strongly disagree with this. Free parking is not a right, no matter the circumstances, especially in NYC where curb space is at a premium. Don't have a private garage or driveway - sell your effing car and take public transit.

Old 07-18-19, 08:08 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
This is the saddest thing I have read in a long time.
Oh really?

Old 07-18-19, 08:43 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

That’s impressive it sat for so long before it got towed.
Old 07-21-19, 04:14 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I forgot to add one thing...I don't know the specific law in NYC, but many jurisdictions consider a vehicle 25 years or older to be a legal antique, and exempt from some of the registration/taxation/emission laws for other vehicles. This vehicle is 48 years old.....almost twice that age.
In NY, any car 1995 and older, do not need emissions to pass NYS inspection
but how it got a current inspection sticker without moving, is the real mystery...
although it’s pretty easy to scrape a valid one off another car and reuse it

Last edited by 96SC4; 07-21-19 at 04:18 AM.
Old 07-21-19, 08:08 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Moderator edit. RMM GS3 exit this thread Not only do we not allow political comments any longer, race baiting is not allowed or appropriate on CL now or ever.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-21-19 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-21-19, 07:24 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

idk what 'safety hazard' that lady is referring to... and the late 60s were a great time, it makes me sad to see something so representative of the era be taken away... especially since that is basically a landmark at this point, it's essentially a living sculpture and i can appreciate that

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-24-19 at 05:59 PM. Reason: for moderator commentary use PM