Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Lexus RX and Lexus GX First Drive Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-19, 12:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Excited to drive the 2020 RX. Hope the LSW process is applied to more new or revised models. Lexus needs to get back to quiet interiors.
Old 07-18-19, 02:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I still don’t get the point of saying that. It has more updates and tweaks than usual. Would you rather see a down sized engine? Or the addition of the RTI system that is criticized by so many. You are so negative towards Toyota and Lexus lately. Like you kinda spoil the thread for some others. (Just my observation)
thanks for your observation. like everyone, you see what you want to see, even if subconsciously. while i'm not jazzed about the gx, perhaps you didn't see what i wrote about the rx changes. to quote myself

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Very positive reviews of the RX.

Nice to see they made it quieter, better riding/handling, more user-friendly, more features (AA/AC, touch screen most notably), and revised front/rear.

good job lexus!
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Excited to drive the 2020 RX. Hope the LSW process is applied to more new or revised models. Lexus needs to get back to quiet interiors.
yes i'd like to drive the 2020 rx also. to me, the exterior while improved is still a quirky design, and moving the screen closer and making it a touchscreen is a compromise with the still universally panned rti pad taking up space. BUT i've no doubt this one drives really nice, is still a really great 2 row crossover.
Old 07-19-19, 07:41 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

The GX first drives seem to echo the sentiment of some more then others. Not much has changed, especially for a vehicle of this price.

MT
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexu...gx-460-review/

2020 LEXUS GX 460 REVIEW: BIG GRILLE, SMALL UPDATES

M1
https://www.motor1.com/reviews/36022...-drive-review/
Old 07-19-19, 10:18 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I don't think they are changing that mentality anytime soon with the Land Cruiser and LX slated to get the LS 3.5TT. Granted it's forced induction so the low end torque will be more usable.
Not a bad thing to shove the 3.5L TT. At least they are not rehashing the 5.7L
Old 09-03-19, 10:24 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Lexus is updating its RX and RXL lineup of luxury crossovers for 2020 with tweaks to its steering and driving dynamics, interior and exterior, new Android Auto integration and standard Lexus Safety System+ 2.0 technology. The changes also boost the RX 350 starting price to $45,245, including destination.

On the outside, Lexus changed the look of the front by updating the spindle grille, which had previously featured horizontal slats, and adding more prominent surrounds to the fog lights that echo the grille. Also echoed are the hand-drawn angles of the grille surround at each corner of the bumper to harmonize the visual flow.

Lexus says the RX line is its first to get Android Auto integration, joining the existing Apple CarPlay and Amazon Alexa compatibility. The touchscreen — both the standard 8-inch display and available 12.3-inch split-screen version — has moved almost 5.5 inches closer to the driver and now offers control over both audio and climate systems, plus display for the rearview camera when backing up. There are also two new USB ports, bringing the total to six, plus a new designated mobile phone storage area near the front of the center console.

If you opt for the 12.3-inch display, you get dynamic voice command, which Lexus says is capable of recognizing millions more phrases, is more accurate and offers expanded points of interest searches than its conventional voice-recognition systems. And finally, you get a three-year trial with Lexus Enform Remote to remotely start the car from your smartphone.

Lexus is also adding its Safety System+ 2.0 as standard across the lineup, which adds daytime bicyclist detection and low-light pedestrian detection, plus road-sign assist and lane-tracing assist, which works in conjunction with dynamic radar cruise control.

On the driving side, Lexus added hollow front and rear stabilizer bars to reduce weight, but they’re thicker in diameter and feature reinforced bushings to help reduce body roll and improve response on steering. The shock absorbers were re-turned to work with the stiffer roll bars, and there are upgraded dampers with a new friction control device to better control high-frequency vibrations and smooth out the ride. Further refining the ride is a stiffer suspension design, to reduce noise and vibration from the road, and added active corner braking to help prevent understeering by braking the inner wheel and providing more stability to the vehicle’s handling.

There are two new exterior colors available, moonbeam beige metallic and nori green pearl, plus two new wheel designs: an 18-inch wheel and a 20-inch wheel available in the Luxury trim. The interior color palette will also be available in a new birch color.

New for 2020, the RX 350 F Sport will be split into an F Sport appearance package and Performance package. Both include unique a steering wheel and shift ****, plus aluminum pedals and ornamentation, bumpers, grille, 20-inch wheels, front and rear performance dampers, LED ambient illumination and other goodies. The Performance package adds adaptive variable suspension based on the Lexus LC500, vehicle dynamics integrated management, sound generator, electric sport power steering, moonroof and heated and ventilated seats.

Both the 2020 RX and RXL have started production and will be available in dealerships soon.
Source

Didn't know they improved the resident navigation system. Also increased Enform Remote from 1-year to 3-years. Nice

Can't wait to see a Nori Green RX
Old 09-03-19, 01:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

these changes are why the RX is hands down the best Lexus vehicle.
Old 09-04-19, 07:33 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

They finally got the memo that things need to improve on the infotainment wise and safety tech wise in order to keep pace. If only the GX crew got the same memo (or if the bean counters let the design and engineering team have their way).
Old 09-04-19, 07:45 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by coolsaber
They finally got the memo that things need to improve on the infotainment wise and safety tech wise in order to keep pace. If only the GX crew got the same memo (or if the bean counters let the design and engineering team have their way).
It is strange that they neglect the GX as much as they do. The GX makes up about 8 to 10% of total Lexus sales in the U.S. I think it deserves a bit more than a different grill and some new color schemes.
Old 09-04-19, 09:56 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
It is strange that they neglect the GX as much as they do. The GX makes up about 8 to 10% of total Lexus sales in the U.S. I think it deserves a bit more than a different grill and some new color schemes.
I loved the GX, had both generations but after 6 years of having a second gen and waiting on something new from Lexus with regards to the GX I went elsewhere. Why would I buy a new one when it was essentially the same SUV with a couple different body parts?
Old 09-04-19, 11:26 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by patgilm
I loved the GX, had both generations but after 6 years of having a second gen and waiting on something new from Lexus with regards to the GX I went elsewhere. Why would I buy a new one when it was essentially the same SUV with a couple different body parts?
The thing is a reliable beast, but so was the 15 LX, and then MY16 came and brought it upto speed....The GX outsells the LX, and yet the investment difference is so different.
Old 09-04-19, 01:04 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by patgilm
I'm leaning heavily towards buying out my lease when it ends in 2yrs. I actually enjoy driving the thing.
Old 09-04-19, 08:30 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

I'm leaning heavily towards buying out my lease when it ends in 2yrs. I actually enjoy driving the thing.
For a GX, that has way to many speculators driving up prices in the 2nd hand market, you really cant go wrong with buying out your lease or jumping into a new one.
Old 09-05-19, 02:35 PM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

I really like driving the GX as well. It'll probably be the replacement for my F150.
Old 09-05-19, 05:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurker9
I really like driving the GX as well. It'll probably be the replacement for my F150.
Originally Posted by coolsaber
For a GX, that has way to many speculators driving up prices in the 2nd hand market, you really cant go wrong with buying out your lease or jumping into a new one.
GX is a great body on frame model from Lexus. You can’t go wrong.
Old 09-05-19, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Interesting. On Car Chat, we've talked back and forth, for the last several years, in different threads, about how there's little use for two BOF Lexus SUVs in the American market, and how one of them would probably soon be discontinued. Yet, here we are.....both the LX and GX, in traditional form, are still on sale.

Quick Reply: 2020 Lexus RX and Lexus GX First Drive Review