Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT: Lexus: Hybrids Could Become Preferred Performance Powertrain

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-19, 08:33 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts
Default MT: Lexus: Hybrids Could Become Preferred Performance Powertrain

Found some interesting info here.

During an event to celebrate its 30th anniversary, Lexus gave us a brief glimpse of the technologies and strategies it has in the pipeline, including its plans for hybrids. Below, we've boiled it down to the must-know tidbits.
  • A Level II autonomous driving system, called Automated Highway Teammate, is coming in 2020. The system is designed to work "from [highway] entrance to exit" and is likely to include an automated lane-change and/or passing feature. Such a system has already undergone extensive testing on thoroughly mapped Japanese expressways.
  • All Lexus models will offer some sort of electrified powertrain, meaning they will have EV, hybrid, plug-in-hybrid, or fuel cell options, with powertrain choices tailored to individual markets.
  • Lexus is working on advances in vehicle connectivity—for example, having cars communicate with a centralized data center for real-time traffic information.
  • Lexus will continue to develop its hybrid technology, and not just as an eco-solution; it is looking to provide a more dynamic experience through electrification.
  • Other technologies Lexus is exploring include in-wheel motors for electrified vehicles, a steer-by-wire system, and the "E-Axle." Though it wouldn't give us details of the latter, it was described to us as an axle optimized to work with electric power, and which will be compatible with both in-wheel and centrally mounted electric motors.
  • Lexus will show a new concept car at the 2019 Tokyo auto show, which will show the coming evolution of Lexus interiors. Among the changes we can expect are an increase in contrast and expanded use of premium materials. We interpret this as a move away from the interiors of the RX and NX, and one toward those of the LS and LC.
  • Lexus is prepared to implement vehicle-to-vehicle communications (V2V), but is waiting to see how the technology develops with other automakers.
  • V-8 engines will survive for now, but may fall victim to future regulation. Though turbochargers are part of Lexus's strategy (witness the twin-turbo V-6 in the flagship LS500), Lexus feels that hybrid drivetrains are a strong candidate to take over the role as their preferred performance powertrain.

For more details on these and other initiatives, we'll have to wait until the Tokyo Motor Show in October, where Lexus will reveal even more.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/lexu...re-technology/
Old 07-16-19, 09:22 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

• A Level II autonomous driving system, called Automated Highway Teammate, is coming in 2020. The system is designed to work "from [highway] entrance to exit" and is likely to include an automated lane-change and/or passing feature. Such a system has already undergone extensive testing on thoroughly mapped Japanese expressways.
Isn't Cadillac's SuperCruise rated for Level III?

• All Lexus models will offer some sort of electrified powertrain, meaning they will have EV, hybrid, plug-in-hybrid, or fuel cell options, with powertrain choices tailored to individual markets.
Yes, we know Lexus already said by 2025 ALL LEXUS would have some sort of motivation besides ICE

• Lexus will show a new concept car at the 2019 Tokyo auto show, which will show the coming evolution of Lexus interiors. Among the changes we can expect are an increase in contrast and expanded use of premium materials. We interpret this as a move away from the interiors of the RX and NX, and one toward those of the LS and LC.
HALLELUJAH

• V-8 engines will survive for now, but may fall victim to future regulation. Though turbochargers are part of Lexus's strategy (witness the twin-turbo V-6 in the flagship LS500), Lexus feels that hybrid drivetrains are a strong candidate to take over the role as their preferred performance powertrain.
That's fine, but you need performance motors. GS450's need 400hp not 338hp. LS600hL's need 500hp not 436hp. LS500h's need 440hp not 354hp etc...
Old 07-16-19, 12:12 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Totally agree, the GS450 should have had close to 400hp when it came out for this generation. If the next GS comes out with an electric performance engine, sign me up, I love a smooth quiet acceleration like a stealth craft, man Lexus has so much opportunity with that, hope they are suprising us all!
Old 07-16-19, 12:12 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I thought the in-wheel electric motors sounded pretty interesting. I've been hearing more and more of this from them lately.
Old 07-16-19, 12:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I thought the in-wheel electric motors sounded pretty interesting. I've been hearing more and more of this from them lately.
This does sound interesting. Looking forward to hearing more about it.
Old 07-16-19, 12:23 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mikedozz
Totally agree, the GS450 should have had close to 400hp when it came out for this generation. If the next GS comes out with an electric performance engine, sign me up, I love a smooth quiet acceleration like a stealth craft, man Lexus has so much opportunity with that, hope they are suprising us all!
Hmm love the idea. Leave the IS, ES, LS as ICE/Hybrids. Make the GS full BEV, and first electric F. Something to tackle Taycan, e-Tron, Model 3/S.
Old 07-16-19, 12:49 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Isn't Cadillac's SuperCruise rated for Level III?
Is SuperCruise a true "eyes off" autonomous driving system? I do not know of any Level 3 system; even Tesla's Autopilot is only a Level 2 system, not a Level 3 system.

For SAE Level 2, the driver must continue to supervise and control the vehicle ("hands off"):

You are driving whenever these driver support features are engaged -- even if your feet are off the pedals and you are not steering. You must constantly supervise these support features; you must steer, brake or accelerate as needed to maintain safety.
For SAE Level 3, the driver does not have to be in control of the vehicle but must be ready to take over ("eyes off"):

You are not driving when these automated driving features are engaged -- even if you are seated in "the driver's seat". When the feature requests, you must drive.
Toyota has promised to show autonomous driving systems during the 2020 Summer Olympics.

• Lexus is prepared to implement vehicle-to-vehicle communications (V2V), but is waiting to see how the technology develops with other automakers.

No communications technology standard has been agreed upon yet by automakers yet. Will it be WiFi, 5G cellular or some other communications standard?

Originally Posted by JDR76
For in-wheel electric motors to be really successful, there will have to be weight reduction, otherwise there is a lot of unsprung weight.
Old 07-16-19, 01:11 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Sulu
Is SuperCruise a true "eyes off" autonomous driving system? I do not know of any Level 3 system; even Tesla's Autopilot is only a Level 2 system, not a Level 3 system.

For SAE Level 2, the driver must continue to supervise and control the vehicle ("hands off"):

For SAE Level 3, the driver does not have to be in control of the vehicle but must be ready to take over ("eyes off"):
I don't know, I was asking.
Old 07-16-19, 01:19 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,696 Likes on 2,282 Posts

Automated Highway Teammate? LOL that's next level bad naming.
Old 07-16-19, 01:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Automated Highway Teammate? LOL that's next level bad naming.
I don't think its that bad.
Old 07-16-19, 01:52 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

The first time I've heard of the term "Lexus performance hybrids" coming, was about fifteen years ago, when people were anticipating the LS and GS hybrids .......
Old 07-16-19, 03:56 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe the Hybrid Performance models will be using a scaled down version of the Toyota GR Super Sport system
Old 07-16-19, 11:46 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The current IS should have been offered with a hybrid option in the U.S.
I view much of this announcement as Lexus playing catch up or just stating what many other manufacturers have already stated. What I rather hear and see is them change direction with their front-end styling. The reverse angle, gaping mouth grille is harsh and passe.
Also, wouldn't adding start/stop technology be a quick and easy way to improve fuel economy? It seems many/most luxury brands already implement this in a mostly successful way.
Old 07-17-19, 12:42 AM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That's fine, but you need performance motors. GS450's need 400hp not 338hp. LS600hL's need 500hp not 436hp. LS500h's need 440hp not 354hp etc...
I'm ok with the lower power, but it needs to come at a lower premium. 10k premium for the GS should have been 450hp to get it up to par with the 550i. but no...lexus always has to be behind on the power. like how everyone 's top end v6 engines from 10 years ago are all now up at least to 350 yet the most lexus can muster is 311hp with slightly better mpg ratings. I am looking forward to the new interiors but am doubtful about the powertrains coming anytime soon
Old 07-17-19, 04:53 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The current IS should have been offered with a hybrid option in the U.S.
I view much of this announcement as Lexus playing catch up or just stating what many other manufacturers have already stated.
Lexus, with the help of Toyota, is probably in a good spot already with EPA fuel economy ratings, so it does not need to offer any more electrified models at the moment to boost its rating. And without dirty diesels, it does not have to turn to electrification to clean up its image, like the European (luxury) automakers have been forced to do.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Also, wouldn't adding start/stop technology be a quick and easy way to improve fuel economy? It seems many/most luxury brands already implement this in a mostly successful way.
The already acceptable EPA ratings also means that Lexus does not need to add idle-stop systems to more cars in its lineup. Micro-hybrid (idle-stop) systems may help to save fuel in the real world -- dependent upon your local driving conditions -- but they contribute very little to official EPA ratings, since the EPA test does not include a large number of long stops that would make engine shutdowns truly beneficial.

Quick Reply: MT: Lexus: Hybrids Could Become Preferred Performance Powertrain