Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

3rd row is a hoax

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-19, 09:28 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
If our family was larger, I'd probably prefer a minivan. But the current minivan offerings fail to meet two of our criteria - hybrid and AWD.
Sounds like a Lexus special. Hey Lexus, step up to the plate!
Old 07-16-19, 09:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
gx has this huge 'shelf' shortening the height of the cargo area (probably due the BOF platform and great off-road capable suspension) plus the distance from the back of the back seat to the hatch door looks to be only about a foot.

The GX should be available as a proper 2 row SUV. Like 4Runner.
Old 07-16-19, 11:22 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

When did everyone suddenly start hating minivans?
Old 07-17-19, 05:19 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
when did everyone suddenly start hating minivans?
1984 ......
Old 07-17-19, 05:15 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

not at all. while that old santa fe may not be a large 3 row (probably more like the CX9), the palisade has 18cu. ft of cargo space behind the THIRD ROW. now that's bigger than the huge trunk of my g90, plus the space is more vertical, so 4 rollaboard suitcases would fit easy, or 2 and a large suitcase and probable some soft bags as well.
The 18 cu.ft. cargo area space behind the 3rd row of the Palisade (or any other comparable 3-row crossover or minivan) is a deceptive number. The cargo area may be wide, but it is oddly shaped: It is tall (extending from the cargo area floor, past the top of the seatbacks and up to the ceiling); short (from the seatbacks to the closed hatch); and tapers in from the floor up to the top of the seatbacks. That odd shape really limits its usability, especially compared to the wide, long and deep well that forms a sedan's trunk or 2-row crossover's cargo area.

You probably would not (or could not) pack anything past the top of the seatbacks, which effectively halves that cargo space, not wanting to block your view out the rear window, or for fear of the cargo falling forward into the passengers. And that tapered space to the top of the seatbacks may prevent you from standing large suitcases upright to maximize packing space.
Old 07-17-19, 09:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The 18 cu.ft. cargo area space behind the 3rd row of the Palisade (or any other comparable 3-row crossover or minivan) is a deceptive number. The cargo area may be wide, but it is oddly shaped: It is tall (extending from the cargo area floor, past the top of the seatbacks and up to the ceiling); short (from the seatbacks to the closed hatch); and tapers in from the floor up to the top of the seatbacks. That odd shape really limits its usability, especially compared to the wide, long and deep well that forms a sedan's trunk or 2-row crossover's cargo area.

You probably would not (or could not) pack anything past the top of the seatbacks, which effectively halves that cargo space, not wanting to block your view out the rear window, or for fear of the cargo falling forward into the passengers. And that tapered space to the top of the seatbacks may prevent you from standing large suitcases upright to maximize packing space.
No idea what you’re talking about, i just looked at Alex on Autos review of the Telluride which has 21cu ft behind third row, and there’s loads of space and it’s not ‘oddly shaped’ or not useful vertically, etc. Check out this video starting at 7:40 in:

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-17-19 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-18-19, 10:25 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

My mom used to have a long wheelbase Escalade. I was never that impressed with the size of the third row until I rode in a lot of other SUV’s. The third row in a lot vehicles is barely big enough for small children.

Rather than ride with my parents in the Escalade, I preferred to take a separate car. It would be a hassle parking sometimes but was worth it to not sit in the back. Now that she’s downsized to a 328i sedan, she realizes that it was nice having extra space.

Are there any other SUV’s or vans with a roomy third row outside of the long wheelbase large GM and Ford SUV’s?
Old 07-18-19, 12:18 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i used to make fun of my friends with kids and having a minivan; but having 3 of my own i am inches away of buying maybe a sienna. most 3rd row on SUVs are for kids less than 10. I had a RX350L for a loaner and my kids 8-9 would not even fit in the back if i had baby sit in the 2nd row. The GX was little better but i ended up trading for a LX but its the same issue with LX.
I think the problem is mostly i want to stick with Lexus; spoiled by the LS type ride and i cant find that anywhere.
Originally Posted by Kira X
My mom used to have a long wheelbase Escalade. I was never that impressed with the size of the third row until I rode in a lot of other SUV’s. The third row in a lot vehicles is barely big enough for small children.

Rather than ride with my parents in the Escalade, I preferred to take a separate car. It would be a hassle parking sometimes but was worth it to not sit in the back. Now that she’s downsized to a 328i sedan, she realizes that it was nice having extra space.

Are there any other SUV’s or vans with a roomy third row outside of the long wheelbase large GM and Ford SUV’s?
Old 07-18-19, 12:20 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

This suv looks like a minivan, i mean its a good looking suv but on the road, its looks low/ small wheels. maybe its just me. Not knocking the car, i think its a great step forward probably the best in the segment.

No idea what you’re talking about, i just looked at Alex on Autos review of the Telluride which has 21cu ft behind third row, and there’s loads of space and it’s not ‘oddly shaped’ or not useful vertically, etc. Check out this video starting at 7:40 in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEq8XQzSVho&t=7m40s
Old 07-18-19, 12:21 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by UZ214
i used to make fun of my friends with kids and having a minivan; but having 3 of my own i am inches away of buying maybe a sienna. most 3rd row on SUVs are for kids less than 10. I had a RX350L for a loaner and my kids 8-9 would not even fit in the back if i had baby sit in the 2nd row. The GX was little better but i ended up trading for a LX but its the same issue with LX.
I think the problem is mostly i want to stick with Lexus; spoiled by the LS type ride and i cant find that anywhere.
Have you tried QX80, Navigator, or GLS?
Old 07-18-19, 12:26 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The QX80 is niiiice with the big V8. The gas mileage is pretty bad though
Old 07-18-19, 12:31 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by EZZ
The QX80 is niiiice with the big V8. The gas mileage is pretty bad though
Worse than the LX? But you're right, both are dismal at 13city/18hw LX and 14city/20hw QX80
Old 07-18-19, 12:41 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Talking

Originally Posted by UZ214
Minivans are pretty good options. My mom drove one before the Escalade and it got us around just fine. The Sienna is pretty nice.

The LX’s third row isn’t too impressive. I’ve had to ride back there in the past and it was awful.
Old 07-18-19, 12:44 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I spent much of last weekend in the 3rd row of a new Suburban and was surprised at how limited it was in room. The biggest issue was the lack of foot room under the middle row.
Old 07-18-19, 12:46 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Talking

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I forgot about the QX! Those things are huge. We get a lot of them traded in for LX’s and GX’s but people always miss the extra space. I hopped inside of one and was really surprised by the size. It’s a nice alternative to the LX, Navigator, and Escalade/Denali.

Quick Reply: 3rd row is a hoax