Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford knew Focus, Fiesta models had flawed transmission, sold them anyway

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-19, 09:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The Ford-Getrag PowerShift dual-clutch transmission uses dry clutches whereas the first-generation VW unit used wet clutches. Wet clutches, bathed in oil, are known to be smoother but less efficient than dry clutches because the wet clutch may slip.

The rough operation of the Ford-Getrag may be attributed to the fact that it uses dry clutches but the other problems may not be.

The second-generation VW unit switched to dry clutches.
Thanks. Yes, that would make sense. The article also mentions that Ford used dry clutches.
Old 07-13-19, 04:45 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Also I think this confirms my belief that there are 2 Ford Motor Companies.

There's the company that produces trucks and SUVs. This company gets resources because it's a giant money printer.

Then there's the company that produces cars. That company is dying off and has been starved for years.
Just as a data point, the Ford cruise control that repeatedly tried to kill me was in a Ranger. Doesn't necessarily disprove your theory, because it was probably the same component as in the cars (Crown Vic/Grand Marquis got the most publicity at the time) that had the same fault. But it was from the year after the problem had allegedly been fixed in the cars, which is why the dealer stubbornly refused to do anything about it.
Old 07-13-19, 09:12 AM
MaxRB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had one

I had a 2014 Ford Fiesta, sold the car at 90,000km, mostly highway. Had the clutch replaced 3 times during my ownership. Never again! The interior of those vehilces and handing is superb! But that transmission... omg
Old 07-13-19, 09:35 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

It sounds like people who owned these cars with manual transmissions were very happy with them.
Old 07-13-19, 10:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MaxRB
I had a 2014 Ford Fiesta, sold the car at 90,000km, mostly highway. Had the clutch replaced 3 times during my ownership. Never again! The interior of those vehilces and handing is superb! But that transmission... omg

Welcome to CL. I notice this is your first post.

I take it you had manual-transmission model, although some automatics also have clutches in them that can also wear out. With a manual transmission, clutch wear can be dependent on a number of factors, including how hard the car is driven or shifted. And riding the clutch with the left foot, even very lightly, can also wear it out in a hurry.
Old 07-13-19, 11:45 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I wonder why they just don't use the ZF8 speed as it's far better than any of the other trannies. I wonder if the cost per tranny is too much vs in house solutions?
When you design and build something inhouse (assuming you can pay for the design process), you own the design and you get what you want, without having to compromise around some other design or have to pay licence fees to use someone else's patents. And you get to tune it and modify it as you see fit, without having to pay someone to tune some other, generic, product.

Ford has already modified its 10-speed transmission for use in its light-truck hybrids (already in the Explorer and Aviator, and soon to be in its pickup trucks).
Old 07-13-19, 11:55 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

The 10 speed is already in the F-150 and Ranger.

They're in the process of building a bigger version for the Super Duty
Old 07-13-19, 02:24 PM
ronmaiden
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yes I believe it was the manual transmission that the issues.
The manuals have been solid and the 5 speeds are essentially the same 5 speed they have always been putting in the Focus since 2001 and the 6 speed in the ST?RS haven't had common shared issues.
The Dual Clutch version which people call an automated manual but still an automatic transmission to me and it and associated parts have been a night mare from day 1.
And of all the Foci that were sold less than 5% had manual transmissions so they aren' the issue.

I was aware of these issues when we looked at a 2012 and ended up buying the only 5 speed on the lot and luckily was nicely equipped with what we wanted. It's our DD and been a nice fun car to drive.

Last edited by ronmaiden; 07-13-19 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-13-19, 04:39 PM
MaxRB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome to CL. I notice this is your first post.

I take it you had manual-transmission model, although some automatics also have clutches in them that can also wear out. With a manual transmission, clutch wear can be dependent on a number of factors, including how hard the car is driven or shifted. And riding the clutch with the left foot, even very lightly, can also wear it out in a hurry.
Hi! Thank you for the nice welcome!

I had the power shift 6 speed Fiesta titanium trim.
My manual car I had in Europe the Ford Ka had more then 200,000km still on its 1st clutch pack when i sold it. Although the clutch was getting tighter it still didn't slip or vibrate.
The power shift i had in Canada has now a class action on it. I'm in the process of getting a few hundred bucks even I have already sold the car half a year ago.
Isn't this a Lexus Forum?😂
Old 07-13-19, 04:50 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

My manual car I had in Europe the Ford Ka had more then 200,000km still on its 1st clutch pack when i sold it. Although the clutch was getting tighter it still didn't slip or vibrate.
The power shift i had in Canada has now a class action on it. I'm in the process of getting a few hundred bucks even I have already sold the car half a year ago.
Isn't this a Lexus Forum?😂
This is indeed a Lexus forum, but most of us are car enthusiasts and so this Car Chat section exists for general car discussion unrelated to Lexus.

Hell, many of us aren't even Lexus owners currently. I had a 92 LS400 while I was in college, but now I drive an F-150. New luxury cars are a bit rich for my blood.
Old 07-13-19, 05:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Enjoy your time wth us.

Here in the U.S., manual transmissions are not very popular except for some sports cars and pony cars (pony cars being defined as Mustangs/Camaros/Challengers). There are a number of reasons for that, but a significant one is the ever-increasing traffic density from development and urbanization.

Isn't this a Lexus Forum?��
Yes, but in Car Chat, we discuss anything on four wheels and their manufacturers, including Lexus products.....and, sometimes (as in the case of motorcycles or 3500-series trucks) vehicles with two or six wheels. We also have a series of forums for each specific Lexus model by generation, if you want to discuss individual Lexus products in detail. There are also CL forums for maintenance and vehicle-washing/detailing.

Some of us, here in Car Chat, also do vehicle reviews/test-drives/write-ups ourselves, which gives you views and opinions of the vehicles apart from the auto-press/auto-magazine reviews.
Old 07-13-19, 05:57 PM
MaxRB
Driver School Candidate

That is a very nice option to have. I have a few parts I need help with regarding to fitment and vehicle compatibility. I think this one of the largest Lexus forums to ask a qustion like this.
Where should I best direct my questiom regardimg part #15330-37010

Thanks inn advanced!
Old 07-14-19, 04:50 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A good friend bought a Fusion about the time they began experiencing trouble with the automatic tranny. It took about two years before his destroyed itself for the first time, and although in warranty, Ford refused to repair it. That should have been a sign. Several months later it was sitting in his driveway (where it was about to take root) when it was flooded by one of Houston's Hurricanes (Ike, as I recall). Well, although his home may not have been well covered by insurance, but the Fusion was. Probably the only man in America to come out of a Fusion purchase financially intact.

Fast forward a few years - by now this same guy had purchased an older 4WD Ford 1/2-ton pickup. It was bought cheap . . . and we all know what THAT means. (Thousands in repairs over a few years). One day he'd just come home and parked his truck in the street as he was only going to be a minute and his neighborhood was almost deserted at mid-day. While rummage around his house collecting clothes for a business trip, he heard a CRASH outside. Yup, some kids stole a new Mustang from a home down the street and having little driving experience, smashed it into the pickup waiting at the curb. They were caught by police, thankfully, but the truck was a total writeoff.

He futzed around for a couple of weeks, looking for a replacement ride, but he'd had about enough of the Ford brand. He bought a 2005 ES 330. His ear-to-ear grin is a thing to behold. In fact, you've probably noticed him around these parts already.