Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM urges patience as Silverado falls to No. 3

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-19, 11:27 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default GM urges patience as Silverado falls to No. 3

DETROIT — General Motors' prolonged ramp-up of the redesigned Chevrolet Silverado has put the longtime No. 2 pickup in an unfamiliar, uncomfortable position: third in Detroit's three-way race.

Ram has beaten the Silverado in nine of the past 10 months, according to U.S. sales estimates from the Automotive News Data Center that have been validated by GM's quarterly reports. The Ram has outsold the Silverado by 36,619 since the latest Silverado 1500 hit dealerships in August and holds a lead of nearly 22,000 five months into 2019.

Including the GMC Sierra 1500, which was also redesigned at the same time, GM's full-size pickup share was down 3 percentage points in the first five months of 2019 compared with the same period a year earlier.

With the Sierra, GM remains in second place in the full-size segment, behind Ford Motor Co.

But GM executives insist the shake-up in a closely watched battle with major image and profit implications isn't a sign of trouble. They say the trucks' launch is going as planned and that GM is focused on profits, not market share.

Barry Engle, who became GM's president of the Americas on April 1, played down declining Silverado sales as a "temporary phenomenon" that will be corrected with more capacity and a normalization of production.

"Given our limited availability, we deliberately launched with a really high mix in trims," Engle told Automotive News this month. "But as we get broader availability and get the full portfolio out there, we'll be just fine."

Broader availability includes increasing annual capacity of the pickups by 60,000 — 40,000 for the heavy-duty models and 20,000 for the 1500s.

The increased capacity will aid plans to roughly double production of the Silverado Trail Boss, an off-road-inspired trim, to more than 20 percent of the mix, Engle said. The increase is a result of the brand's national dealership council saying retailers needed more inventory of the models."We're selling every one of those we can make, and the real demand for that thing is probably double what we thought it would be and what we capacitized at," he said. "The dealers are just screaming for more."

GM also has not started selling the redesigned pickups to fleet customers in any significant numbers, Engle said. Fleet will be "all plus business" on top of the automaker growing its retail share of the market, he said.

The Silverado's share of the light-duty retail market, according to Engle, has risen from 21 percent in January to 26.4 percent in May. The Sierra is up 1.9 percentage points to 10.5 percent, GM said.

"I think you see a trend there," he said. "We're back and we're, as I've described, just starting to hit our pace."

GM has touted the introduction of its so-called T1 trucks, which also include its full-size pickups and SUVs, as the automaker's single-largest launch ever in terms of resources.

‘Fleet is flat'
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles CEO Mike Manley made Ram's intentions to outsell Chevrolet well-known last year, after the company's redesigned pickups hit the market months before GM's.

GM has sold more than 800,000 full-size pickups in the U.S. on average over the past four years. However, combined sales of the GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado are down 7.9 percent in 2019 through May, according to Automotive News Data Center estimates. In contrast, Ram pickup sales are up 22 percent.

Randy Marion, owner of Randy Marion Chevrolet in Mooresville, N.C., said he has "no issues" with the redesigned Silverado but looks forward to getting more vehicles for his fleet business, which ranks among the top five in the country for Chevy.

"Our days' supply is very low on the fleet and commercial side of it," Marion said. "Our retail Silverado is up 27 percent over last year, and our fleet is flat."

GM and its dealers started June with an estimate of 200,000 Silverados on hand, roughly equal to the number of Rams in inventory, and an estimated 74,000 Sierras, according to the Automotive News Data Center. Based on how quickly the vehicles are selling, those figures equate to a 99-day supply for the Silverado, 98 days for the Sierra and 85 days for Ram.

Another longtime Chevrolet dealer who asked for anonymity to avoid repercussions from the factory said the Silverado rollout has been ineffective for dealers due to a lack of incentive support, the increased pressure from Ram, and difficulty getting certain trims and engines earlier in the launch.
Average incentives for the Silverado and Sierra have been about $500 less than Ram in 2019 but $1,500 more than the Ford F series, according to estimates from Autodata.

GM President Mark Reuss last week said he always has a wary eye on competitors but that the company is on plan and just beginning to sell lower-priced models of the pickups — a part of the segment where Ram has been aggressive with incentives and leasing.

"We look at that and monitor it and, yeah, we're always worried about it, but we've got a great truck and we continue to roll it out in a high mix," he said June 12 after announcing a $150 million investment in Flint, Mich., to help increase production of the Silverado HD and Sierra HD. "And now we're getting into the work truck and the high-volume, lower end of the price points on the T1s. We've got a good plan."

Ram's U.S. sales through May were 231,382, vs. an estimated 209,688 for the Silverado. Including an estimated 77,873 for the Sierra, GM still led FCA in full-size pickups by about 56,000, though both companies trail the F series, which has posted sales of 368,972 this year.

Quicker launches
Last week, GM started shipping the 2020 Silverado HD and 2020 Sierra HD to dealers. The production ramp-up for those pickups will continue this year, ahead of the expected arrival of GM's redesigned full-size SUVs in 2020.

Each of those launches, Engle said, will take less time than the rollout of the 1500 pickups, as they involve lower volume and only one plant at a time. The company also is applying lessons learned from launching the 1500s to those products.

"It will be the same measured approach, the same idea, the same philosophy, but we will be able to accelerate it," Engle said. "It won't take as long."

GM started producing crew-cab models of the redesigned 1500 pickups in July in Fort Wayne, Ind., followed by double-cab models in October. GM's plant in Silao, Mexico, came online with regular-cab and crew-cab models around the beginning of the year. The pickups started arriving at dealerships in August, about four months after Ram began shipping its pickups.

"We've got a plan," Engle said. "We're in this for the long haul."

https://www.autonews.com/sales/gm-ur...ado-falls-no-3

Old 06-17-19, 12:00 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

its bad when you fall to 3rd (not combining GMC Sierra) at the beginning of your "redesign"
Old 06-17-19, 01:13 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I've started seeing 2019 silverados in person lately. I thought that they looked bad in the marketing photos but might look better in person.

Nope. They look absolutely horrendous in person, even worse than the marketing photos.
Old 06-17-19, 01:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Add in the sub-par interior compared to the Ford and Ram, and that is not a recipe for success.
Old 06-17-19, 01:30 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

And the 5.3 is worst in class for power. 6.2 is solid but you have to order a fancy trim to get it.
Old 06-17-19, 01:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I disagree with some of the comments here about the Silverado having a substandard interior (in fact, I prefer it to the F-150's), but I can understand the reluctance of some people to become repeat buyers who got stuck with unreliable Silverado's in the past, and the notorious "Chevy Shake" which affected a number of Silverados/Sierras and large SUVs. Also, I can't speak for the nation as a whole, but there are a number of people in my area who are p***ed at GM for the way they have treated workers, closed plants, dropped a number of the sedans, and as a result, are simply avoiding their products and taking their business elsewhere.
Old 06-17-19, 02:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

i honestly think all the 'big 3' pickups are hideous with the ford the least hideous, the ram the next least hideous, and the silverado just flat out vomit-inducing hideous.

i get that they market on 'macho', including ram using sam elliott's deep voice in those annoying commercials... but someone needs to create a truck that just focuses on practical, not macho. maybe it will be tesla... there's no way these trucks need to be as tall up front as they are, with flat faces.
Old 06-17-19, 02:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i honestly think all the 'big 3' pickups are hideous with the ford the least hideous, the ram the next least hideous, and the silverado just flat out vomit-inducing hideous.
Yes, though I like the Silverado's interior, I'll agree that the front end could definitely use some improvement.

there's no way these trucks need to be as tall up front as they are, with flat faces.

Though I agree it can be vision-blocking for the driver, big V8s in work-trucks need a large, tall engine compartment for two reasons. First, the size of the engine-block itself, and, Second, the fact that these engines, under load, produce a lot of heat, and you don't want them in a small, cramped compartment that has little air-flow around the engine to help keep things cool.

Some years ago, I reviewed some Nissan products (I don't remember which specific ones) where the engine and its associated components were crammed very tightly into a small, undersized compartment under the hood. Even under moderately sedate driving, I noticed that the needle on the coolant-temperature gauge ran a point or two above where it usually does (close to dead center) on other vehicles with the engine fully-warm.

i get that they market on 'macho', including ram using sam elliott's deep voice in those annoying commercials... but someone needs to create a truck that just focuses on practical, not macho.
Perhaps the best example, today, of the non-macho pickup, at least in the American market, would be the Honda Ridgeline. In the past, we've seen some posts (and threads), in Car Chat, of pickups coming from Hyundai and Mercedes, but they apparently still have not reached the American market.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-17-19 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-17-19, 02:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

i honestly think all the 'big 3' pickups are hideous with the ford the least hideous, the ram the next least hideous, and the silverado just flat out vomit-inducing hideous..
Who know if the looks are killing the trucks, there is a lot of brand loyalty for their trucks . I kinda like these GM trucks.

Anyways, I would like to add that I think US politics and then GMs decision to close 4 North American plants is having an influence. I do remember Toyota reversing their plan to move Corolla to Mexico, but while GM announced plant closures, model cancellations... these GM trucks were just hitting the streets and the press. I dunno. Is the Blazer selling to expectations?

I did read that the new trucks are selling for record GM transaction rates. So there is that.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-17-19 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-17-19, 03:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though I agree it can be vision-blocking for the driver, big V8s in work-trucks need a large, tall engine compartment for two reasons. First, the size of the engine-block itself, and, Second, the fact that these engines, under load, produce a lot of heat, and you don't want them in a small, cramped compartment that has little air-flow around the engine to help keep things cool.

don't quite buy either reason, as exotic sports cars have v8s, v10s, v12s in tiny spaces. i think it's just lazy packaging and a race to the bottom of who can make their truck the tallest and most macho.

i mean look at this. compensating much?

just ridiculous.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-17-19 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-17-19, 03:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Anyways, I would like to add that I think US politics and then GMs decision to close 4 North American plants is having an influence.
You bet it is. Those laid-off people (and those who sympathize with them) aren't going to be buying new GM products.
Old 06-17-19, 03:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

i mean look at this.

just ridiculous.
Of course it's ugly....no arguments there. In some ways, it reminds me of the Pontiac Aztek. I still like what's underneath that ugly-duckling styling, though where an eagle lies below. There'a an old saying......"Don't judge a book by its cover".

don't quite buy either reason, as exotic sports cars have v8s, v10s, v12s in tiny spaces. i think it's just lazy packaging and a race to the bottom of who can make their truck the tallest and most macho.

That part, though, I have to at least partly disagree with. Ferraris and Lambos, with their V12s, even at 200 MPH on a track, aren't lugging 10,000-30,000 lbs. of weight with them fully- loaded....that creates a lot of heat.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-17-19 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-17-19, 11:09 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Same story with the facelifted Camaro, which GM had to do an emergency fix on. Same thing will likely happen with this ugly duckling truck. One of the main things people judge their purchases on is styling. It matters and GM's designers are not dealing with reality these days.
Old 06-18-19, 05:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

don't quite buy either reason, as exotic sports cars have v8s, v10s, v12s in tiny spaces. i think it's just lazy packaging and a race to the bottom of who can make their truck the tallest and most macho..
It is just the trend. Toyota did the same thing with the 4Runner and Tacoma, everything got taller and higher. Meanwhile a lot of cars got lower and more sleek. I am always liked what they did with the 4Runner, but I don’t like how the make the hood higher on the Tacoma.
Old 06-18-19, 06:00 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

I have had no sympathy for gm for the longest time for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. They have always been the car company that makes the most annoying commercials, using images of 9/11(patriotism), Howie long making fun of the f150s "man step" (questioning the persons manhood )to the current annoying " real people" ones.

Quick Reply: GM urges patience as Silverado falls to No. 3