Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota adding automatic engine shutoff and automatic park to future models

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-19, 06:42 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't blame it on age. Confusing controls and designs can be a problem for anyone. It took me weeks to get used to the joy-stick shifter in my own car, and its unusual patterns.
it is self evident that younger people adapt to the new tech much faster than older people.
Old 06-19-19, 07:08 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't blame it on age. Confusing controls and designs can be a problem for anyone. It took me weeks to get used to the joy-stick shifter in my own car, and its unusual patterns.
Good point. The fact that it took you weeks to get used to all the complicated and confusing controls in your Buick proves that it has nothing to do with age.
Old 06-19-19, 11:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Good point. The fact that it took you weeks to get used to all the complicated and confusing controls in your Buick proves that it has nothing to do with age.
Originally Posted by 4TehNgyuen
it is self evident that younger people adapt to the new tech much faster than older people.

Joy-sticks are not necessarily age-related when it comes to confusion. I've met people in their twenties who didn't like them.
Old 06-24-19, 08:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I never knew GM has this feature already. Fords as well.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/06/...ure-spotlight/
Old 06-25-19, 07:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I never knew GM has this feature already. Fords as well.
I can understand why GM would have that feature, especially on their refined V6s and V8s. GM, like Toyota/Lexus, knows how to build quiet-running-engines that idle even quieter. While this would more likely affect seniors and/or those with poor hearing, even young people can sometimes forget that a GM or Lexus power plant, at idle, is still running, and not push the stop button all the way. I also notice that the stop-button on my Lacrosse, as it has worn with time, has to be pushed just so, and firmly, to get the engine to completely shut off. A green light on the button shows you the engine is running...a yellow light is the accessory-mode with the ignition off.
Old 06-25-19, 10:05 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 158 Posts

I also notice that the stop-button on my Lacrosse, as it has worn with time, has to be pushed just so, and firmly, to get the engine to completely shut off. A green light on the button shows you the engine is running...a yellow light is the accessory-mode with the ignition off.
That is completely unacceptable in a ~2 year old car. We have two 9+ year old cars where the start/stop buttons work identically to new, with no ambiguity as to whether they've been "pressed enough".
Old 06-25-19, 10:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
That is completely unacceptable in a ~2 year old car. We have two 9+ year old cars where the start/stop buttons work identically to new, with no ambiguity as to whether they've been "pressed enough".
Perhaps I overstated it. It's not a serious issue....just barely noticeable. I'm the type of person who can notice, feel, and hear small differences (sometimes very small) in how a vehicle operates....an ability I've had since high school.
Old 06-29-19, 04:04 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/28/b...%2Fautomobiles

2 more dead in Florida, 2017 Toyota Avalon

Ms. Penney, 81, and Mr. Livingston, 88, were found dead at their home in Sarasota, Fla., poisoned by carbon monoxide, according to preliminary tests by the local medical examiner. Susan Livingston said that after the car — which had a keyless ignition — pulled into the garage attached to their house, the engine had continued to run.
Old 06-29-19, 04:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Corey140
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/28/b...%2Fautomobiles

2 more dead in Florida, 2017 Toyota Avalon
Sad. With the tech now available that can prevent this. It’s a shame.
Old 06-29-19, 04:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Its sad, but these people did in fact kill themselves by not turning their vehicle off.
Old 06-29-19, 04:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its sad, but these people did in fact kill themselves by not turning their vehicle off.
A bit insensitive. Could be prevented with modern tech.
Old 06-29-19, 04:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its not insensitive, its a fact. Modern tech absolutely can prevent this, both in vehicles and in home construction. I was touring a new home complex a couple years ago and the builder installs in all their attached garages a vent that has a CO sensor on it, and when it senses high levels of CO in the garage it comes on and vents the gas outside so it doesnt leech into the home. No such building code exists this builder just took it upon themselves to come up with a feature that made their homes safer...which is great.

Where my issue comes in is the implication that somehow this is the vehicle manufacturers fault, or that this is a "byproduct" of the keyless ignition feature...which isn't fair. This is a terrible accident that is caused by the operator of a vehicle not properly turning the vehicle off. The car beeps loudly inside and outside if the door is opened and again if its closed and the key leaves the vehicle. The exact same thing can happen, and I'm sure has happened with key ignition cars also.

Its great that manufacturers are working to make cars safer in all ways, but this is not their fault.
Old 06-29-19, 04:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its not insensitive, its a fact. Modern tech absolutely can pr.
Its insensitive in the sense that you used the words “killed themselves”. Ending ones life (not because they want to die, but because they no longer want to live) is a serious thing and to just use it in this context I don’t agree with. Anyways, you don’t have to agree with it.

Hard to post quotes on mobile, but I also have never implied that is the manufacturers fault. However, if society as a whole can make things better, we should. Manufacturers included.
Old 06-29-19, 04:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Its insensitive in the sense that you used the words “killed themselves”. Ending ones life (not because they want to die, but because they no longer want to live) is a serious thing and to just use it in this context I don’t agree with. Anyways, you don’t have to agree with it.
They made a mistake which led to their deaths. Better?

Hard to post quotes on mobile, but I also have never implied that is the manufacturers fault. However, if society as a whole can make things better, we should. Manufacturers included.
Not saying you implied that, but the article does.