Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Colleague of mine just bought a Subaru Ascent.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-19, 06:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Colleague of mine just bought a Subaru Ascent.

A colleague of mine, in my church, just bought a new Subaru Ascent for him and his wife...a nice chocolate-brown color (Subaru calls it Cinnamon Brown). Saw it a couple of days ago. Not really anything out of the ordinary on the outside (except for a nice paint-job), but it was nice inside...easily the best and most plush Subaru interior I've seen yet, even more so than the old upscale L.L. Bean models that were discontinued. I briefly looked at it, but, of course, did not do anything else.

Is anyone in Car Chat interested in an Ascent? I'm just trying to decide if I should take the time to test-drive one and write it up or not....there are a number of other vehicles I'm waiting to take a look at as well. There was very little interest in the Subaru Tribeca when it was offered, and probably for good reason.....even though this type of vehicle is not intended to be an Ultimate Driving Machine, the Tribeca's road-manners still felt like a complete appliance on wheels, and driving it, even for a generally sedate and conservative driver like me, was about as dull as watching its paint dry. The interior, particularly the dash, was also quirky and over-styled. Its very low sales numbers were not surprising. The Ascent, of course, replaces the former Tribeca, though I have no idea what it will feel like on the road.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-12-19 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-12-19, 08:06 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

My brother-in-law just bought a Touring. Very nice indeed.

For me it's a toss up between this and the Telluride/Palisade.
Old 06-12-19, 03:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC300Es
My brother-in-law just bought a Touring. Very nice indeed.
Congratulations on his purchase. Best of luck to him.

For me it's a toss up between this and the Telluride/Palisade.
Good comparison. Yep, the two of them are not only more or less comparably-priced but, in length/wheelbase, are almost identical, although the Telluride is a couple of inches wider. You will get a much longer standard warranty, though, with the Telluride, particularly in the American market.
Old 06-13-19, 12:11 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a friend who bought an Ascent recently as well. He doesn't have any complaints yet, but he's only had it for a few months. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on it, though I should say that it's just out of curiosity as I'm not in the market (and probably won't be until the wife's Civic kicks the bucket).
Old 06-13-19, 01:28 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Question regarding DI engines carboning up. Does it happen to non-dual injected engines like the one in the Ascent?
Old 06-13-19, 02:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
Question regarding DI engines carboning up. Does it happen to non-dual injected engines like the one in the Ascent?

The 2.4L twin-scroll turbo in the Ascent is a new design, so we probably won't know its long-term reliability or questions about carbon-buildup for some time.
Old 06-13-19, 02:31 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Carbon build-up is a problem with direct-injected gasoline engines but not all direct-injected engines. Some automakers' direct-injected engines have build-up problems while other engines from the same automaker do not; it is dependent upon the design of the engine.

Toyota's D-4S injection system, that has both direct and port injection, do not have this problem (engines with port injection, where the intake valve is bathed in gasoline from the fuel injected in the intake port upstream of the intake valve, do not have a carbon build-up problem).

Since the Ascent's 2.4-litre 4-cylinder engine is a new engine, I would assume that all design considerations to prevent carbon build-up have been taken into consideration. Time will tell.
Old 06-13-19, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Since the Ascent's 2.4-litre 4-cylinder engine is a new engine, I would assume that all design considerations to prevent carbon build-up have been taken into consideration. Time will tell.
I'm surprised that Subaru chose a turbo engine that small for its new flagship...but I guess it fits in with what we've seen from some other automakers using 2.0L turbos on some of their upmarket or flagship vehicles (A6, S90, V90, etc...). Cadillac even tried using a 2.0L Turbo four as the base engine in the CT6 sedan flagship....until common sense told them they had to drop it.
Old 06-14-19, 06:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I think the Ascent is easily the best Subaru ever.

but that’s like saying it’s the least ugly vehicle in their line-up.

but it’s a competitive, nicely designed roomy ute.
Old 06-14-19, 06:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think the Ascent is easily the best Subaru ever.
It's also, arguably, the most mainstream in design.....though most of the actual Subaru sales, of course, go to the Forester and Outback.
Old 06-16-19, 08:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I don't own nearly enough tweed jackets to drive a Subaru lol
Old 06-17-19, 05:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

^^^ no idea where that stereotype came from... people from all walks of life drive subarus these days.
Old 06-17-19, 04:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^^ no idea where that stereotype came from... people from all walks of life drive subarus these days.
I was joking lol
Old 06-17-19, 04:47 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

saw one on the road in matte black and debadged with only the subaru logo. i dont how it got to be matte black nor if it was a wrap, but it was the biggest suby I've ever seen
Old 06-18-19, 07:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

There are a couple of these in my work parking lot. I always do a double-take. Out of the corner of my eye I think it's an Outback, then I realize it's too big. Definitely breaks no new ground styling wise, but looks good enough.

Quick Reply: Colleague of mine just bought a Subaru Ascent.