Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

mercedes plans to have 10 EVs by 2022!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-19, 02:09 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

As I've said before we are one battery tech breakthrough away from EV's making gas burners instantly obsolete. Even if that doesn't happen incremental improvements in storage will, or put another way storage density is increasing much faster than gas burner efficiency. On that front getting 5% better is considered a massive win.
Old 06-08-19, 08:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Fly? Even for trips of less than 400 to 500 km (250 to 300 miles, 5 hours drive, 1 hour flight)? I doubt that "most people" would fly that distance, especially if they live in smaller-town Canada or USA, some distance from an airport.
I don’t think 250-300mi. is a ‘long’ trip, but even that, if there’s a decent charger on the way, that’s not an issue. The issue i have with EV’s though with any of ‘em isn’t the range as much as once you get to the other end. If staying at friends/relatives most won’t have a high power hookup and doing to a local charging station is really an inconvenience when you’re supposed to be spending time with people you care about instead.

The limited range, low availability of recharging stations and the length of time it takes to recharge are the reasons that are keeping us from buying an EV.
you and tons of others. but about the time at least, ev’s seem to charge fastest from low charge state, to up to about 80%. It’s that last 20% that takes longer and charging to 100% isn’t ideal anyway because at 100% any regen breaking energy has nowhere to go.

We have 2 cars and my wife only has a short commute to work (less than 10 km/6 miles) but she is still concerned (she could drive the EV in town and use my car for long distances). Never underestimate range anxiety.
For short daily commutes range anxiety isn’t really rational, but i understand that’s how most feel.

If Lexus comes out with a plug-in hybrid soon, I will trade in my ES Hybrid for one.
nice... seems likely they’ll have one of those long before a full EV.

And no, we are not looking at a Tesla or the German EVs. Her sister-in-law bought a German car and was not satisfied with it. For personal reasons, I refuse to look at Tesla.
Lol about Tesla. As for ‘German EVs’, dismissing them on a sample of one other person’s experience of one brand of (non-EV) “German car” is interesting...
Old 06-08-19, 09:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

For short daily commutes range anxiety isn’t really rational, but i understand that’s how most feel.
Most people in the odd situation should be clever enough to just rent a car. The average person in the United States drives 12,000 miles per year, that is 230 miles per week. Anyone buying an electric car at this point must be pretty foolish is they are crossing state lines on a daily basis with an EV.

I don’t think 250-300mi. is a ‘long’ trip,
To your comment about flying and these types of trips. Flying around Canada or into the United States is vastly different than flying around within the United States. You can fly all over the place in the US for cheap, and daily. No so in Canada.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-08-19 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-09-19, 03:34 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,057 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Fly? Even for trips of less than 400 to 500 km (250 to 300 miles, 5 hours drive, 1 hour flight)? I doubt that "most people" would fly that distance, especially if they live in smaller-town Canada or USA, some distance from an airport. Point to point time spent is about the same flying as driving that distance, given the insane amount of time spent in an airport before boarding and then getting the final mile to the ultimate destination.

The limited range, low availability of recharging stations and the length of time it takes to recharge are the reasons that are keeping us from buying an EV.

We have 2 cars and my wife only has a short commute to work (less than 10 km/6 miles) but she is still concerned (she could drive the EV in town and use my car for long distances). Never underestimate range anxiety. If Lexus comes out with a plug-in hybrid soon, I will trade in my ES Hybrid for one.

And no, we are not looking at a Tesla or the German EVs. Her sister-in-law bought a German car and was not satisfied with it. For personal reasons, I refuse to look at Tesla.
I too would buy a Lexus plug-in hybrid. These make the most sense even over EV. You give me and I think most people a 50 mile range than I would at least 80% of the time not need to use any gas. Then a long trip no problem needing to find a charging station because once one runs out of electric power would convert to the hybrid system getting 35-40 mpg. I would fill up with gas about every two months.
Old 06-09-19, 05:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Freds430
I too would buy a Lexus plug-in hybrid. These make the most sense even over EV. You give me and I think most people a 50 mile range than I would at least 80% of the time not need to use any gas. Then a long trip no problem needing to find a charging station because once one runs out of electric power would convert to the hybrid system getting 35-40 mpg. I would fill up with gas about every two months.
yes, a friend has a Chevy Volt. He got it because his work commute is about 40 mi. round trip. it has an electric-only range of about 50 mi. he also has a charging option at work. he rarely ever puts gas in it but with the gas it can go over 400 mi.

he likes it a lot but has decided his next vehicle is a Kona EV.
Old 06-09-19, 07:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I too would buy a Lexus plug-in hybrid. .
A plug-in hybrid offering should of been available a number of years ago. Lexus is really behind.

These make the most sense even over EV.
In the future, if Lexus wants to be a true competitor to Audi, BMW, Jaguar and MB, they must have a line up of EV models. Lexus usually was the driving board for new tech in many cases and scenarios. The wealthy people are the ones who will pay for EV.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-09-19 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-09-19, 11:10 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
A plug-in hybrid offering should of been available a number of years ago. Lexus is really behind.
If there is no demand for a Lexus plug-in hybrid, is Lexus really behind? Why offer a model that will only sell in very low numbers? Lexus is not a charity that can cater to every customer out there. There must be a business case for every model and every trim level offered by an automaker.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
In the future, if Lexus wants to be a true competitor to Audi, BMW, Jaguar and MB, they must have a line up of EV models. Lexus usually was the driving board for new tech in many cases and scenarios. The wealthy people are the ones who will pay for EV.
Considering Jaguar sales are so, so low, even compared to Lexus, perhaps Jaguar needs to be more like Lexus rather than the other way around.
Old 06-09-19, 11:21 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I don’t think 250-300mi. is a ‘long’ trip, but even that, if there’s a decent charger on the way, that’s not an issue. The issue i have with EV’s though with any of ‘em isn’t the range as much as once you get to the other end. If staying at friends/relatives most won’t have a high power hookup and doing to a local charging station is really an inconvenience when you’re supposed to be spending time with people you care about instead.
That's the point though -- finding "decent chargers" on a long road trip. And by some definitions, there are no "decent chargers", since it would still take a long time to charge, especially compared to gas stations.

nice... seems likely they’ll have one of those long before a full EV.
It does not matter. I am not sitting around waiting for a Lexus plug-in hybrid.

Lol about Tesla. As for ‘German EVs’, dismissing them on a sample of one other person’s experience of one brand of (non-EV) “German car” is interesting...
To paraphrase what you said earlier: "Dismissing German cars on a sample of one other person's experience isn't really rational, but you must understand...".
Old 06-09-19, 12:26 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

At least in large cities or ones that have really embraced electric car charging, range anxiety is an even more non issue after road trips. If I were to drive from San Fran to LA (which btw, I would still fly the 1 hr versus driving 6 hours), I would know that wherever we go in LA, there would be a charger nearby. Whether its to the mall, or to dinner, or just on the street doing touristy things. Im sure Disneyland has charging stations. Anyway, these range anxiety fears are rational and I would get it too, so it always make sense to buy the model with the longest range. You never know when you're going to need it.
Old 06-19-19, 05:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

I put that ‘news’ under the smoke screen category as toyota made it clear their main focus is still hybrids and hydrogen and if it’s 5 years before toyota has a credible EV i think they’re in trouble. The audi e-tron may not have GREAT range (yet) but it and the EQC are getting rave reviews in every other aspect. while the eqc isn’t actually available yet, the etron certainly is. even the humble hyundai kona ev has wide praise and it’s certainly cooler than a prius.
pull in schedule BY 5 years, not have EV in 5 years. if anything they already have prius prime which is EV
Old 06-21-19, 05:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
pull in schedule BY 5 years, not have EV in 5 years. if anything they already have prius prime which is EV
prius prime is a plug-in hybrid, not a pure EV.