ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   Japan's New Emperor Orders Custom Toyota Century Convertible (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/919676-japans-new-emperor-orders-custom-toyota-century-convertible.html)

Curated Content Editor 05-29-19 04:33 PM

Japan's New Emperor Orders Custom Toyota Century Convertible

Japan's New Emperor Orders Custom Toyota Century Convertible
By Mark Muhoro

A new era, a new state-car concept!

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...7b0affd2e0.jpg

mmarshall 05-29-19 05:55 PM

Good taste, Emperor. Now (IMO) there a car that's styled the way a car SHOULD be styled. :thumbup:

I just wish this car was available in the U.S. I just might be driving one.

geko29 05-29-19 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by mmarshall (Post 10529433)
Good taste, Emperor. Now (IMO) there a car that's styled the way a car SHOULD be styled. :thumbup:

I just wish this car was available in the U.S. I just might be driving one.

I agree that they're awesome, but I just can't see you spending $180k on a car.

mmarshall 05-29-19 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by geko29 (Post 10529453)

Although my personal finances are generally my own business, there are some things that I'm willing to share with others (like how I invest), and, if desired, I can afford a lot more car than I'm currently driving. ;) I chose a Lacrosse mainly because I liked the car, not because of price. I also believe in not blowing all of one's salary or bank-account on a car, and keeping money in the bank for emergencies. The Emperor, for instance, is probably getting his Century at state expense, not his personal money.

However, I agree with you that the Century has a stiff price tag, more than I'd want to pay. My comments about it were focused more on the traditional-sedan styling, which, on most sedans today, went out the window years ago with the Aero-look and humpback-whale rooflines. And, yes, I'd like to see it available here in the U.S.

Och 05-29-19 06:49 PM

I wonder if this car is bullet proof. Usually presidential limos are bullet proof, but this is a convertible.

mmarshall 05-29-19 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Och (Post 10529475)
I wonder if this car is bullet proof. Usually presidential limos are bullet proof, but this is a convertible.

If it's a traditional ragtop convertible, I'd agree, but many convertibles, today, are retracting hard-tops which offer a lot more security.

Curated Content Editor 10-31-19 09:36 AM

Toyota Century Gets One-of-a-kind Convertible

Toyota Century Gets One-of-a-kind Convertible
By Geoffrey Piehl

Japan's new emperor will be riding in custom open-air style.
https://sequoia.internetbrands.com/a...583&res=master

Toys4RJill 10-31-19 05:27 PM

Just fantastic. Too bad no V12

mmarshall 10-31-19 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by geko29 (Post 10529453)

Ever hear of buying used? ;)

If I really wanted a new one, I could probably swing it, but, you're right...that is much more than I'd ever care to spend on a new car. One must leave money in the bank for emergencies.

FrankReynoldsCPA 10-31-19 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Och (Post 10529475)

I guess he won't be in Dallas :p

mmarshall 11-01-19 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Och

Originally Posted by BrettJacks (Post 10648826)
I guess he won't be in Dallas :p

Gun violence in Japan, though not unheard of, is nowhere near the levels to be found in and around Dallas.

FrankReynoldsCPA 11-01-19 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by mmarshall (Post 10648943)
Gun violence in Japan, though not unheard of, is nowhere near the levels to be found in and around Dallas.

I was referring to the assassination of JFK, rather than general gun violence.

mmarshall 11-01-19 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by BrettJacks (Post 10649100)

Yes, I know....that goes more or less without saying. Nevertheless, as you suggest, I agree that it is odd for a Head of State to ride around nowadays in a vehicle with security-weaknesses. There are also those who have never forgiven Japan for 1930s/1940s-era war crimes, and the Emperor could be a prime target.

LexBob2 11-01-19 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by BrettJacks (Post 10649100)

That was my take on your comments.

JessePS 11-04-19 03:57 AM

Sucks that I will have to wait until 2033 before I can get my hands on a 3rd gen Century.