Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Test-Drive: 2019 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-19, 06:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Test-Drive: 2019 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-cars/mkz/

At the D.C. Auto Show, as I do every year, I signed up for both the Ford and Lincoln Dealer Test-Drive offers. Ford gives you a $50 pre-paid Mastercard, to spend anyway you want. Lincoln, in contrast, donates $75, in your name, to one your choice of about 9 or 10 different charities. I used the Ford offer a couple of weeks ago, on an F-150 test-drive for our condo-maintenance man, who is going to need a new truck pretty soon. I was going to use the Lincoln offer, this year, on the new Aviator or Corsair, since both have generated quite a bit of interest on Car Chat, especially the Aviator, which I have review-requests for. But, the time-limit for the offer is May 31 (the end of this week), and, from what the reps tell me, the new Aviators will not arrive for several more weeks yet, and the first new Corsairs probably not untll the end of the summer. So, I saw no sense in driving the existing MKX or MKC, since they are going to be replaced by the Aviator and Corsair, the impressive new Navigator has already been thoroughly discussed in Car Chat, and nobody besides myself seems interested in the Continental, despite its stunning elegance and interior.

So, instead of letting the $75 offer go down the drain this year (I chose to send it to the American Red Cross, as I already am a regular blood-donor), I decided to sample the latest version of the MKZ mid-sized sedan. Since Lincoln prices the Hybrid versions at the same base prices as their FWD gas equivalents (AWD is also available, at extra cost), I decided to sample a Hybrid Reserve I version, with a light smoked-brown-colored paint job, Cappuchino (Beige) leather interior, and, with options, listing for $43,805. I like the MKZ's looks, particularly the Jaguar-esque front grille/headlights (which were added for 2017 during a mid-generation facelift), and, since Lincoln has no plans for its axing the MKX in its immediate future despite Ford axing many of its own sedans, it will be a consideration for my next car, now that GM has axed the Buick Lacrosse and will probably ax the Chevy Impala at the end of the year. I am not impressed with any of the current Cadillac sedans. I also plan to look at upcoming versions of the Genesis G80, Kia Cadenza, and Toyota Avalon....I've already sampled a 2019 Avalon and Cadenza. Though still not as high on the totem pole, I'll consider an ES350 if I find one that is more comfortable and quieter than the one I previously sampled, with 45-series tires.

OK....enough ramblings about me, offers/charities, and my future plans. Now, to the MKZ.

The latest-generation of the MKZ was introduced in 2013, and was face-lifted in 2017 to add (IMO) a much nicer-looking grille/front end and address customer-complaints (mine included) with the Ford MYTouch system and slide-finger sensors on the console for the stereo and climate-control. They had a used 2013 MKZ in the showroom for comparison, and the difference between the controls on the old and new versions, IMO, is just stunning. Nice, firm-feeling rotary-*****, buttons, toggle-switches, and other controls replace those awkward finger-slides. Getting in, this is one of the relatively few vehicles today with front seats that I consider soft and comfortable enough for my tastes....most are simply too firmly padded. The new control layout, for most functions, is light-years ahead of the pre-2017 models, though the so-called "improved" dash-screen and MyTouch systems were still quite complex and required a lot of scrolling and mode-switching to find what you wanted. I was particularly disappointed in that, on the Hybrid model, neither me or the salespeople could find a way to bring up a tachometer on the screen so that I could watch engine-revs....this made manual-shift of the CVT transmission more difficult. (Perhaps there indeed is a way to bring up the electronic tach, but we couldn't find it). An analog-style tach is standard, of course, on the gas versions. Lincoln, however, has made a lot of progress in the fit/finish of the MKZ interiors since I last sampled one a couple of years ago....it seemed more solidly-screwed together, and did not have creaks, rattles or any loose fits.

On the road, there were mixed blessings. It was basically quiet and comfortable, and I could live with this car if I had to, but several things on it were not up to the level of my Lacrosse. The suspension, overall, was soft enough for a relatively comfortable ride overall and over large bumps, but the 19"/40-series tires in front (and 18"/45's in back) simply didn't have enough sidewall to adequately cushion small, sharp bumps. Because they are of two different sizes, you can't rotate them for extended-life...and I'd be concerned about those 40s up front, and their rims, being damaged on some potholes. The 2.0L Atkinson-cycle in-line four (hybrids often use Atkinson-cycle engines) and electric-drive system provide what I consider enough power for most normal use, though I admit I'm not a speed-freak. This car is not designed for aggressive driving, so, of course, handling/steering response/body-roll is relatively sedate. Sound insulation is very good, particularly on the electric-drive...clearly one of the car's best points. Even with the gas engine, though, Lincoln didn't skimp on the soundproofing, though the car would probably be even quieter with softer tires and more sidewall. Like many hybrids, the MKZ uses a stepped-gear CVT, and this is one area where I disagree with Consumer Reports.....I like Lincoln's simple, clear, and easy-to-use push-buttons for the transmission (it beats the electronic joy-stick in my Lacrosse). 50 years ago, I first learned to drive on the Chrysler push-button transmissions of the era, and I guess the memories stayed with me all this time. The car's worst feature on the road, IMO, was probably the brake-proportioning. Hybrids typically have regenerative braking, which is effective, but can sometimes have overly-sensitive brake pedals. I didn't have any problems with the pedal-location and my big clown-shoes, but the pedal did show some of the same over-sensitivity to light brake-pressure that hybrids used to have. And, in the back of the car, on the trunk-lid, another significant complaint......the plastic outside release-button for the lid is about the size of a square dime (honestly....I'm not kidding), and a Munchkin would have trouble putting his or her little pinky on it to push the lid open.

VERDICT:

Basically a nice job, Lincoln. Keep this car in production (without making excuses for dropping it like GM did), put a little more sidewall in the tires (maybe 50s or 55s), reprogram the brake system a little, make the screen-adjustments a little simpler, design a trunk-release-button that doesn't take a microscope to find, and....my checkbook just might be waiting.

And, as Always, Happy Car-Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-27-19 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-27-19, 06:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Made in Mexico, cheapskate Ford. I have come to like Lincoln very much, but the new ES is a vastly superior car.
Old 05-27-19, 07:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Made in Mexico, cheapskate Ford. I have come to like Lincoln very much, but the new ES is a vastly superior car.
I don't like the fact that it comes from Hermosillo, either (I'm with Trump on getting assembly-line jobs back in the U.S.), but I can't let that be a factor in how I evaluate a vehicle. I have to call it like I see it...and drive it. Yes, personally, I can decide not to spend my own money that way (and the Mexican-build may indeed be a factor along that line). But, on the other hand, because of a number of factors, there aren't many vehicles today that I can actually feel at home in...and the MKZ is one of them, particularly with much of the GM competition either gone or on the way out.

As far as the ES goes, respectfully, we are just going to agree to disagree. The ones since the 4th generation, particularly the latest one, simply don't impress me as much. They're not bad cars....and they, of course, have the industry standard for reliability. But, outside of reliability, the newer ones (and by newer, I mean the 5th/6th/7th-generation models) just don't address the things that I look for in a vehicle that well.
Old 05-27-19, 07:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
but I can't let that be a factor in how I evaluate a vehicle. I have to call it like I see it...and drive it. .
Well you actually could. You can refuse to review or support any vehicle that comes from Mexico. But that is up to you of course. I would never buy a Mexican made vehicle out of principle. I would never recommend buying one to someone else either. For example, I would never recommend buying a Mexican made AC Tacoma. I would never test drive for fun either. All knowing of course.

Anyways, did this MKZ model have the Revel audio? I have come to appreciate the push button controls.
Old 05-27-19, 07:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well you actually could. You can refuse to review or support any vehicle that comes from Mexico.
I don't see it that way. As a reviewer, one has to put personal politics aside and concentrate on the ABCs of the vehicle itself. Now, you're correct about actual purchasing decisions...if it violates one's conscience to support Mexican factories with American dollars out of one's own pocket, so be it. But, take Alex Dykes, for example....who, IMO, sets the standard for vehicle-reviews. We wouldn't have a lot of his superb reviews to watch if he limited himself to just what American workers actually produce.

Another example.....Yes, it's no secret that, IMO, I personally think that the people at Ford and GM who are axing many of the sedans are morons....I simply don't buy their excuses. But that is strictly my personal feelings, and it has absolutely nothing to do with how I view the vehicles themselves.

Anyways, did this MKZ model have the Revel audio? I have come to appreciate the push button controls.
Yes, the Reserve I models come with the Revel stereo system. I did sample the audio, and it is superb.....as good or better than the standard audio in my Lacrosse. I'd say almost the equal of the Mark Levinson.
Old 05-27-19, 07:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

So is Lexus a cheapskate for making the RX in Ontario Canada?

i’d say the MKZ and ES are very different vehicles. the ES is a fine car with illusions of sportiness. the MKZ is aimed directly at buyers like mmarshall and myself, we’re no longer interested in sportiness, just a serene, very comfortable, easy to operate, and reliable vehicle. the ES does fill those shoes too overall though - as I said, a fine car! made in Kentucky I believe?

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-28-19 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-28-19, 05:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
So it Lexus a cheapskate for making the RX in Ontario Canada? )
Poor comment. Canada has higher wages than the US and far, far, far higher than Mexico. I already commented on Toyota for building the Tacoma AC in Mexico. Shame on them. I truly do not understand why you are so pro-Mexico or China all the time?

i’d say the MKZ and ES are very different vehicles. the ES is a fine car with illusions of sportiness. the MKZ is aimed directly at buyers like mmarshall and myself, we’re no longer interested in sportiness, just a serene, very comfortable, easy to operate, and reliable vehicle. the ES does fill those shoes too overall though - as I said, a fine car! made in Kentucky I believe?
If you don’t see how the two compete, then I am not sure what will convince you. Similar prices, FWD, built off a mainstream line, hybrid options.

made in Kentucky I believe?
Yes. Kudos for Toyota for building where they sell them the most.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-28-19 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-28-19, 07:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I have never found these to be appealing at all. Definitely not my style.
Old 05-28-19, 10:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Poor comment. Canada has higher wages than the US and far, far, far higher than Mexico. I already commented on Toyota for building the Tacoma AC in Mexico. Shame on them. I truly do not understand why you are so pro-Mexico or China all the time?
because mexican and chinese people deserve a shot to be successful too and if they can build world class vehicles at competitive prices, more power to them, there's nothing 'shameful' about toyota, ford, or anyone else building cars wherever they want, unless it's truly slave forced labor or other horrible circumstances.

and as i've pointed out before, you seem to love your iphone yet have no issue with the fact it was made in china in a 'city' that only exists to make iphones, staffed by thousands of chinese people who work, sleep, work, only making iphones. they do it perhaps because it's better than the alternative of subsistence farming where they lived before. again, i don't begrudge them trying to make a living, or apple taking advantage of the opportunity. if iphones were made in the u.s. they'd cost twice as much.

Yes. Kudos for Toyota for building where they sell them the most.
they're ONLY doing it because it saves them money and allows them to respond quicker to varying demand. and i don't have a problem with that either.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-28-19 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-28-19, 10:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

because mexican and chinese people deserve a shot to be successful too and if they can build world class vehicles at competitive prices, more power to them, there's nothing 'shameful' about toyota, ford, or anyone else building cars wherever they want, unless it's truly slave forced labor or other horrible circumstances..
I have no issue if the Chinese people or Mexican people want a chance to build something (that is not of what is at stake here), but it has been well documented that those building these cars exporting into America are paid $2/hr and will never be able to purchase these cars. The big corporations are making the money and I think people should be aware of it. You or I do not get the savings from these manufacturers building in Mexico.

As for the iPhone. Yes, you are correct. But there is no Canadian or American built alternative cell phone, I do not have a choice. But I can choose to either buy a Lincoln made in the USA or one made in Mexico, I think buying the American made Lincoln is the more beneficial to the people and communities that are paying for the car. I live part of the month in the US and most of the work week in Canada, so I care about both countries equally.

Do you see my point of view? It has nothing do with quality or workmanship
Old 05-28-19, 11:09 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As for the iPhone. Yes, you are correct. But there is no Canadian or American built alternative cell phone, I do not have a choice.
So I'm assuming you owned a Motorola Moto X before 2015?
Old 05-28-19, 11:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The MKZ and ES are really direct competitors. The ES is just a much newer more modern product, while the MKZ is quite old. Nothing sporty about the ES, its a luxo cruiser, smoother and quieter than the MKZ.
Old 05-28-19, 11:21 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I don't understand what the future is for the MKZ. Thru Q1 they were selling about 1,430 cars per month. The outgoing Fusion sold about 14,000 per month. It doesn't seem feasible that Ford will drop the 14k/mo. car but keep the 1.4k/mo. MKZ.
Old 05-28-19, 12:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I ... but it has been well documented that those building these cars exporting into America are paid $2/hr and will never be able to purchase these cars. The big corporations are making the money and I think people should be aware of it. You or I do not get the savings from these manufacturers building in Mexico.
several things wrong with your point here.

first of all, using some data from the link below, the labor going into actually manufacturing a vehicle is apparently 10-15% of its cost (at UAW type rates, $65-95/hr burdened rate, or $1600-2400 of a $25K vehicle). assuming that's true, if the labor rate drops to a burdened rate of say $3/hr, the vehicle labor cost would drop from $1600 to about $75, or a savings of roughly $1500. that's not huge, but it is significant in the cutthroat car business which is a low margin business. and you DO get the savings, because if they had to spend the additional $1500, YOU'D be paying it, or if the car couldn't be competitive at that price, the vehicle would likely just stop being made. this is precisely why the gm plants in canada and the u.s. are closing. they just cost too damn much to run and cars can't be made at attractive prices in them.

https://www.quora.com/What-percentag...l-car-is-labor

As for the iPhone. Yes, you are correct. But there is no Canadian or American built alternative cell phone, I do not have a choice. But I can choose to either buy a Lincoln made in the USA or one made in Mexico, I think buying the American made Lincoln is the more beneficial to the people and communities that are paying for the car. I live part of the month in the US and most of the work week in Canada, so I care about both countries equally.
first off, people buying lincolns are usually retired, so they're not looking to work in an auto factory. second they are looking for the best deal they can get in their 'golden years' so i expect they'll gladly pay $1500 less for the car being made in mexico vs. in the u.s. or canada. that $1500 might be used toward medical care, a vacation or helping their kids, or whatever, so defining who 'benefits' is highly debatable. and that of course doesn't just go for retirees, it goes for everyone.

back to iphones - if they were made in the u.s. and apple had to charge $2000 for them, how many do you think they'd sell? NOT MANY! and quickly that shiny apple iphone factory in the u.s., paying great wages would close. hardly of 'benefit' to anyone.

Do you see my point of view? It has nothing do with quality or workmanship
i see your point of view but i think it has nothing to do with reality and doesn't take into account cause and effect, market dynamics etc.
Old 05-28-19, 12:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I don't understand what the future is for the MKZ. Thru Q1 they were selling about 1,430 cars per month. The outgoing Fusion sold about 14,000 per month. It doesn't seem feasible that Ford will drop the 14k/mo. car but keep the 1.4k/mo. MKZ.
good point. i think it's a 'filler' in the lincoln line-up, and being an old model it's probably quite profitable to sell. the fusion was in the camry/accord/etc. highly competitive low margin high volume game and i think ford ultimately found it to be a waste of resources with low ROI.

Quick Reply: MM Test-Drive: 2019 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid