Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

More Millennials Want Sedans but Older Generations Can’t Stop Buying SUVs

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-19, 03:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
After the two great world wars, by the 1960's, fertility rates peaked at 3.8 children per child bearing woman, hence by the 1980's to 2000's etc, the people movers reached their peak.

By the 2000's, the Baby Boomers [born 1940-60] begun to retire, with no active income, yet plenty of time to exercise, and thus down sizing.
Meanwhile, the Gen X's [born 1960-80] are ageing, busy working with little time for exercise, as obesity peaks.

There is an association between obesity and larger motor vehicles; how do you expect a big person to be comfortable squeezing into a tiny motor vehicle?
https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/...20110531-1fe7f

The Young Gen Y [born 1980-00] are an intermediate group, while the even Younger Gen Z [born 2000-20] are just entering the workforce, fit, and essentially no children yet, so they tend to purchase compact motor vehicles...
I'm not sure I believe this graph. I observe a lot less fat people today than back int he 90ies, at least here in NYC. Young people are generally fit and athletic, there are lot of healthy food choices and gyms.
Old 06-03-19, 05:16 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey

The Me Too Movement also plays its role like an amplifier.
If someone jumps over the cliff, chances are that you'll jump over the cliff too.
However, remember that the Me Too Movement can go either way, for or against large motor vehicles - depending on the status quo, in other words depending on what is currently considered trendy and in vogue...

That's not exactly what the "Me Too" movement in today's headlines means....
Old 06-03-19, 05:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I'm not sure I believe this graph. I observe a lot less fat people today than back in the 90s, at least here in NYC.
You can probably believe the graph.

NYC and Philly, in general, both have a reputation for good food, but that is not necessarily the case in vast areas of the U.S. across the South and West, where they either eat too many things cooked in lard/pork-fat, or chow down on beef/pork barbecue that is loaded with saturated fat and cholesterol. That combination not only causes obesity, but heart disease and cancer as well.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-03-19 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-03-19, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
But that raises another question: If minivans were such nice vehicles why are they now belittled as "mommy mobiles" while crossovers are talked up as the best thing since sliced bread?

To answer that question, one must probably look no further than the sport-oriented auto press. For decades, despite the proven usefulness of minivans for many families, the auto press has looked upon minivans as one of the ultimate anti-macho machines...perhaps second only to a pink VW Beetle convertible LOL.
Old 06-03-19, 05:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

NYC and Philly, in general, both have a reputation for good food, but that is not necessarily the case in vast areas of the U.S. across the South and West, where they either eat too many things cooked in lard/pork-fat, or chow down on beef/pork barbecue that is loaded with saturated fat and cholesterol. That combination not only causes obesity, but heart disease and cancer as well.
Back in the 90ies there were a LOT of obese people in NYC as well. I'm not sure if they got priced out and moved South West, but there are certainly less of them here. I do agree that in other parts of US things are a lot worse.
Old 06-03-19, 06:06 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
That's not exactly what the "Me Too" movement in today's headlines means....
You are 100% correct.
Old 06-03-19, 06:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I think we're a little off topic
Old 06-03-19, 07:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

NYC and Philly, in general, bobut that is not necessarily the case in vast areas of the U.S. across the South and West, where they either eat too many things cooked in lard/pork-fat, or chow down on beef/pork barbecue that is loaded with saturated fat and cholesterol. That combination not only causes obesity, but heart disease and cancer as well.
I do a lot travelling to see my sister or my brother in Georgia or NC. Along the way, you start noticing people are bigger once you are midway through Pennsylvania. When my brother and family goes out for dinner, it's lost of fried food and tons of pork in NC. I can't imagine what is going on in Texas and the portion sizes. The coast in Virginia where my girlfriend lives and Savanagh where my sister lives seens pretty tame. In Canada there is a trans fat ban. US has one too I think

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-03-19 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-03-19, 07:15 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So are there any millennials to contribute to this thread or are we a bunch of baby boomers talking about millennials and what they need, want and should need or want? You can't have a conversation about another generation without actually hearing from the very generation you're talking about. You need to be in contact with them every day and in person, before you can know anything about them.
Old 06-03-19, 07:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
So are there any millennials to contribute to this thread or are we a bunch of baby boomers talking about millennials and what they need, want and should need or want? You can't have a conversation about another generation without actually hearing from the very generation you're talking about. You need to be in contact with them every day and in person, before you can know anything about them.
It sure doesn't seem like it.
Old 06-03-19, 07:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It sure doesn't seem like it.

Well, nothing is keeping them from participating in the forum if they want.
Old 06-03-19, 07:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Well, nothing is keeping them from participating in the forum if they want.
well nothing except instagram, snapchat, etc.
Old 06-03-19, 07:55 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well nothing except instagram, snapchat, etc.
haha, you win this thread.
Old 06-03-19, 11:55 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I'm not a Gen Y Millennial.
I can understand the association between peak fertility rates [family size] of the 1960's, and the peak sales in people movers MPV's of the 1980-s to 2000's.
Likewise, I can also understand the association between personal body size, stature, obesity, and motor vehicle size - after all, which large person would want to cram themselves into a tiny little motor vehicle.

However, obesity and motor vehicle size association doesn't explain it all, because I've seen a few short thin people drive huge motor vehicles!
We could say that this is the exception, rather than the norm.

I like to think that, just as population density is causing landsize to become smaller, yet houses getting bigger by the square feet, and ceilings rising from 8' to 9' to even 10'.
In the same way, people may just want bigger and bigger motor vehicles, even if their bodies are not getting that much taller in height or wider in girth.

Bigger motor vehicles cost more, and as age increases, the Gen Y Millenials, and in particular the Gen X'ers pull out the money for larger vehicles.
Meanwhile the Baby Boomers are retired, or almost retired, so are more likely to downsize.

The main point to keep in mind is that houses/buildings are "static"; ie they stand still in engineering terms.
Meanwhile motor vehicles are "dynamic"; in other words, motor vehicles move.
Thus motor vehicles are heavily affected by height, size and weight.
In other words, it is okay to have a big house, and have a big car, but just keep in mind that the height, size and weight of the car will heavily affect its performance, braking, agility, handling, ride comfort and noise levels.

Specifically:
The larger rolling diameter of tires increases the unsprung weight to cause more momentum and body shock after impact with a bump.
The higher Center of Gravity of the body structure and occupants increases the pitching and rolling, for more weight transfer front/aft and to the outside wheels to diminish grip, and increase ride discomfort.
The higher roofline increases air compression to increase wind noise.
The 400-500 lbs extra weight affects all: performance, economy, braking, agility, terminal grip, and handling.

On the bright side, larger vehicles may offer easier entry/exit, and usually offer more interior space, and at least an edge in greater safety....
Old 06-04-19, 02:24 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm gonna take care of my hips, because one day I will want to own and drive a hypercar.

Quick Reply: More Millennials Want Sedans but Older Generations Can’t Stop Buying SUVs