Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

More Millennials Want Sedans but Older Generations Can’t Stop Buying SUVs

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-19, 09:08 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can we stop referring to cute-utes as "SUVs"? there is nothing "sport" about them. most of these FWD-based hatchbacks with body cladding would get stuck on a gravel road or a puddle of water. don't even get me started on towing capacity.
Old 05-27-19, 10:02 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
can we stop referring to cute-utes as "SUVs"? there is nothing "sport" about them. most of these FWD-based hatchbacks with body cladding would get stuck on a gravel road or a puddle of water. don't even get me started on towing capacity.
I think CUV suits them better.
Old 05-27-19, 10:52 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
Well there's nothing "mini" about a minivan anymore, but that hasn't stopped anyone from using that term.
Old 05-27-19, 11:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Well there's nothing "mini" about a minivan anymore, but that hasn't stopped anyone from using that term.
They're still "mini" compared to the big full-size vans with V8s and RWD. In fact, that's where the term first came from, back in the 1980s....the fact that, with the exception of the long-running, air-cooled RWD VW Microbus, they were the first dedicated FWD people-movers smaller than the traditional big Ford, Chevy, and Dodge cans. Some of those full-sized vans were designed to carry as many as 15 passengers.

Old 05-27-19, 05:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

I just got back from Disney World. At the end of the Test Track ride, which is sponsored by GM, there's a showroom where there are 7 or 8 Chevrolet vehicles you can sit in. My son LOVES this, the ride and the showroom so we spent a lot of time there. Almost every vehicle there was an SUV or a truck, there was one Chevy Malibu, and a Camaro...and a Vette but you couldn't sit in the Vette. I got to listen to a lot of what people....ahem....rather portly bread and butter American people....thought of the cars. I heard more than once "I love these, they're so easy to get in and out of'. Nobody ever sat in the Malibu or the Camaro...but people were lined up to sit in a Chevy Trax.

I truly think that's the main reason why people shift towards SUVs and Crossovers.

As for millennials, we'll see how their buying behavior looks when they too are in their 40s, 50-60 lbs overweight...

As for capability of "cute Utes" and getting stuck in gravel or whatever, you should see where I have been in my Lexus sedans...these crossovers can get people basically anywhere they want to go. Should you go offroading in them? No, but if I can get back to cabins and such on rutted gravel roads with mud and washed out places in a 5,000 lb RWD sedan, where would these people in a CRV be going they couldn't get to? Nowhere.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-27-19 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-27-19, 05:45 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Each generation tends to go opposite to their parents generation. Big ole American station wagons were the staple with parents; their kids rebelled and went Euro snooty and musclecars. That generation settled down and saw the station wagon in a new light but didn't want to be identified with it. So they saw fuel economy, space and handling with fwd technology in the form of a minivan.

Their kids didn't think that was cool at all. Now you have an entire demographic who spent their childhood in BoF SUVs; so they want something better, something cool. That's usually perky hatches and slick little sedans with a street vibe. When they have kids they want CUVs.

When you're young, you don't drive your parents generation of vehicles. You drive what your generation wants. When you're old, you see the world through a much more practical filter.

Last edited by MattyG; 05-27-19 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-27-19, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
When you're young, you don't drive your parents generation of vehicles. You drive what your generation wants. When you're old, you see the world through a much more practical filter.
Not wth me. In high school, in the late 60s, I had no problem with what older people were driving....neither did my best friend. In fact, we loved the big American cars of the period. And we were smart..... a lot of our other friends were out in muscle cars getting tickets (and sometimes getting hurt or killed), while we (basically) kept our noses clean and had good driving records.

It's not that we disliked the muscle-cars of the period (in fact, we liked many of them)...but, the few times we drove them (or test-drove them), we were both smart enough not to overdo it or push them too hard. The potential dangers of reckless driving were both well-ingrained into our minds.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-27-19 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-27-19, 05:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Each generation tends to go opposite to their parents generation. Big ole American station wagons were the staple with parents; their kids rebelled and went Euro snooty and musclecars. That generation settled down and saw the station wagon in a new light but didn't want to be identified with it. So they saw fuel economy, space and handling with fwd technology in the form of a minivan.

Their kids didn't think that was cool at all. Now you have an entire demographic who spent their childhood in BoF SUVs; so they want something better, something cool. That's usually perky hatches and slick little sedans with a street vibe. When they have kids they want CUVs.

By and large I think this is very accurate, and like you said you see it in the rise and fall of family vehicles. Station wagons gave way to minivans, which gave way to SUVs.
Old 05-27-19, 11:13 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 440 Likes on 363 Posts
Talking

I personally prefer sedans and coupes over SUV’s. I work at a car dealership and it seems the younger crowd likes sedans, coupes, and the smaller crossover vehicles.

I have a lot of older customers who are moving towards SUV’s. Many tell me it’s because it’s easier to get in and out of. Others buy them because they drive their grandkids around and go on a lot of family trips.

Last edited by Kira X; 05-27-19 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-28-19, 02:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X

I have a lot of older customers who are moving towards SUV’s. Many tell me it’s because it’s easier to get in and out of. Others buy them because they drive their grandkids around and go on a lot of family trips.
^^^ This makes a lot of sense.
Old 05-28-19, 09:38 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I always liked sedans, coupes, sports cars and that is the only type of car my parents bought/owned aside from 2 hatchbacks. I never cared for pickups, SUV's, wagons, mini vans, small econo hatches. I don't get the SUV trend, I just find them so ugly and clunky, don't like the way they drive or handle, especially big pickups. I don't ever see myself getting a pickup or SUV unless I need to tow something or live in a very rural area, I will always get sedans, coupes, and sports cars even though I am a outdoorsman. I don't find SUV's or pickups easier to get into, you have to step more up to them and they have uncomfortable seating positions to me, I like to recline my seat back when I drive and sit pretty far back reclined, I don't like being close to the steering wheel or sitting more upright.
Old 05-28-19, 10:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
I don't find SUV's or pickups easier to get into, you have to step more up to them and they have uncomfortable seating positions to me, I like to recline my seat back when I drive and sit pretty far back reclined, I don't like being close to the steering wheel or sitting more upright.
We're talking about crossovers, not big SUVs or pickups. You don't step up into them or lower down into them, you just slide right into them. Definitely easier to get in and out of.
Old 05-28-19, 01:40 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I personally prefer sedans and coupes over SUV’s. I work at a car dealership and it seems the younger crowd likes sedans, coupes, and the smaller crossover vehicles.
This could be another reason why the younger generation likes sedans, and small crossovers -- smaller vehicles than the currently fashionable 2- and 3-row crossovers -- and that is because they prefer cars that are more fuel efficient.

This same argument was made by the same demographic group (older people) a generation ago, but about a different type of vehicle -- the minivan. The reason given was that it was easier to get in and out -- slide in and out of the elevated seat rather than climbing down into and out of a lower-slung car.

But that raises another question: If minivans were such nice vehicles why are they now belittled as "mommy mobiles" while crossovers are talked up as the best thing since sliced bread?
Old 05-28-19, 02:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
This same argument was made by the same demographic group (older people) a generation ago, but about a different type of vehicle -- the minivan. The reason given was that it was easier to get in and out -- slide in and out of the elevated seat rather than climbing down into and out of a lower-slung car.
Minivans were also considered easier to park than the bulky, full-size sedan-based wagons they replaced.

But that raises another question: If minivans were such nice vehicles why are they now belittled as "mommy mobiles" while crossovers are talked up as the best thing since sliced bread?
For one thing, many crossovers have AWD for bad weather, and, outside of some Sienna versions, most minivans in the American market don't.
Old 06-03-19, 03:36 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 485 Likes on 321 Posts

After the two great world wars, by the 1960's, for the Baby Boomers [born 1940-60], fertility rates peaked at 3.8 children per child bearing woman, hence by the 1980's to 2000's etc, the people movers reached their peak.
It is unlikely that MPV people movers will ever return in huge numbers, because it is unlikely for Americans to average 3.8 children/child bearing woman again.

By the 2000's, the Baby Boomers [born 1940-60] begun to retire, with no active income, yet plenty of time to exercise, and thus down sizing.

Meanwhile, the Gen X's [born 1960-80] are ageing, busy working with little time for exercise, as obesity peaks.

There is an association between obesity and larger motor vehicles; how do you expect a big person to be comfortable squeezing into a tiny motor vehicle?
https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/...20110531-1fe7f

The Young Gen Y Millennial [born 1980-00] are an intermediate group.

While the even Younger Gen Z [born 2000-20] are just entering the workforce, fit, and essentially no children yet, so they will tend to purchase compact motor vehicles even more so...

There are many other reasons for purchasing large vehicles including just wanting more space.
For example, as population density increase, land blocks become smaller while houses actually become bigger, in particular, vertical growth via higher ceilings and more floors increases!

Another possibility - consumers just want something different for a change?

The Me Too Movement also plays its role like an amplifier.
If someone jumps over the cliff, chances are that you'll jump over the cliff too.
However, remember that the Me Too Movement can go either way, for or against large motor vehicles - depending on the status quo, in other words depending on what is currently considered trendy and in vogue.

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-03-19 at 08:32 PM.

Quick Reply: More Millennials Want Sedans but Older Generations Can’t Stop Buying SUVs