ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   Is a moonroof/sunroof a deal breaker for you? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/919004-is-a-moonroof-sunroof-a-deal-breaker-for-you.html)

Toys4RJill 05-20-19 01:49 PM

Is a moonroof/sunroof a deal breaker for you?

I have been kicking the tires on a new car lately. All four of our vehicles have moonroofs and I have pretty much always had one. I see the new Corolla hatch and new Corolla hybrid do not offer them at all, so it got me thinking.

Is it a deal breaker for you to have one?

I do like the roof open at night, but I never ever open it during the day.

arentz07 05-20-19 02:14 PM

I think it's nice to have sometimes, but the added weight/complexity of it mean it's not "free". For me, if it were a daily driver, I think I'd like a sunroof but not enough to prevent me from buying a car without one.

mmarshall 05-20-19 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10522159)
Is it a deal breaker for you to have one?

As of now, yes, it is. That is one of the reasons why I special-ordered my Lacrosse without a sunroof, but with (most) of the other things I wanted. I couldn't get exactly what I wanted, but it was close.

IMO, a power sunroof is just one more piece of equipment to potentially break down (sometimes just as a rainstorm is approaching), and a potential source of squeaks, rattles, and air/water leaks. it also cuts out a certain amount of the roof-panel's torsional/longitudinal rigidity, even if only a small amount.

mbarron37 05-20-19 02:32 PM

I hate moon roofs and wish my car didn’t have one. I never ever use it. Too much noise when open. I prefer silence.

Toys4RJill 05-20-19 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by mbarron37 (Post 10522215)
I hate moon roofs and wish my car didn’t have one. I never ever use it. Too much noise when open. I prefer silence.

What type of car?

mbarron37 05-20-19 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10522222)
What type of car?

2013 LS460. I am not a fan of moon roofs on any car, as I prefer serenity. My wife thinks I am crazy. I keep it shut and turn on the AC when it gets warm. Also, rarely open windows for same reason. I like AC.

Toys4RJill 05-20-19 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by mbarron37 (Post 10522240)
2013 LS460. I am not a fan of moon roofs on any car, as I prefer serenity. My wife thinks I am crazy. I keep it shut and turn on the AC when it gets warm. Also, rarely open windows for same reason. I like AC.

Nothing wrong with that. I do not like the shade or roof open during the day, ever. I will only open at night. Does your wife have a sunroof?

ABC 05-20-19 04:37 PM

It was 10 years ago for me, but i don't use it enough these days to justify it anymore.

JDR76 05-20-19 05:49 PM

Yes. I would never, ever buy a car without one. We ordered the Highlander to be able to get the panoramic sunroof (love it!).

sivikvtec 05-20-19 06:16 PM

I enjoy having one and using it....but if I had at least one other car with one I might be willing to go without it. Depends on the car/situation.

My only non-negoiatable feature at this point is having ventilated seats is they aren’t cloth.

jrmckinley 05-20-19 06:23 PM

Wouldn't buy a car without one. Love it.

bitkahuna 05-20-19 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by mbarron37 (Post 10522215)

100% agree!

Originally Posted by mmarshall (Post 10522208)
IMO, a power sunroof is just one more piece of equipment to potentially break down (sometimes just as a rainstorm is approaching), and a potential source of squeaks, rattles, and air/water leaks. it also cuts out a certain amount of the roof-panel's torsional/longitudinal rigidity, even if only a small amount.

In all the vehicles i’ve owned, i’ve never had ANY issue with a sunroof. They’ve never broken down, squeaked, rattled, or leaked. I think this concern is unfounded. Maybe in the 1980s when some people got an aftermarket cheesy sun roof.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10522255)
Does your wife have a sunroof?

Must... resist... commenting...

mmarshall 05-20-19 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by bitkahuna (Post 10522413)
In all the vehicles i’ve owned, i’ve never had ANY issue with a sunroof. They’ve never broken down, squeaked, rattled, or leaked. I think this concern is unfounded.

Perhaps not, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't look a little beyond your own experience. A close friend of mine (my ex-flight instructor, BTW), who was an avid Toyota fan for years, has had two Siennas with defective sunroofs, and balky or unacceptable warranty-coverage from Toyota on each. He is so p***ed-off he's about ready to give up on Toyota.

Maybe in the 1980s when some people got an aftermarket cheesy sun roof.

Aftermarket roofs, in general, only made the problem worse (or, at least, the potential for problems).

I'll agree that factory sunroofs, in general (notwithstanding the problems my friend had), are more reliable than they used to be, but it still doesn't negate the potential issues I brought up.

Johnhav430 05-20-19 07:33 PM

All of our cars have them, my wife never ever uses, I do. But if it weren't there that would be fine. Cars like M3s where there's a carbon fiber roof it its place, or it did have it? I'd take that and delete the moonroof in a heartbeat.

I would say no a/c is a deal breaker, as is a CVT, and halogen headlamps.

Johnhav430 05-20-19 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by mmarshall (Post 10522423)
Perhaps not, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't look a little beyond your own experience. A close friend of mine (my ex-flight instructor, BTW), who was an avid Toyota fan for years, has had two Siennas with defective sunroofs, and balky or unacceptable warranty-coverage from Toyota on each. He is so p***ed-off he's about ready to give up on Toyota.

Aftermarket roofs, in general, only made the problem worse (or, at least, the potential for problems).

I'll agree that factory sunroofs, in general (notwithstanding the problems my friend had), are more reliable than they used to be, but it still doesn't negate the potential issues I brought up.

It leaked on my bro's brand new Ford Raptor. Took the dealership more than one month to fix it. I told him your car is like a M3, in its own realm, they should do better. Didn't even give him a loaner he had to wait.