Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is a moonroof/sunroof a deal breaker for you?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 07:39 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

My ES is my first car to have a sunroof; but if I had the choice, I would not have one. But since it does have one, I will try to use it for ventilation purposes, if I have passengers in the car, rather than open my driver-side window (opening my window gives me ventilation but little ventilation to my passengers).

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
In all the vehicles i’ve owned, i’ve never had ANY issue with a sunroof. They’ve never broken down, squeaked, rattled, or leaked. I think this concern is unfounded. Maybe in the 1980s when some people got an aftermarket cheesy sun roof.
That was my thought also. I have had no problem with my sunroof but heard many stories of problems with aftermarket, cut-a-hole-in-the-roof options when they were popular 20 or 30 years ago.

No automaker is going to offer a sunroof merely by taking a car off the line and cutting a hole in the roof. The sunroof will be well-designed and the roof strengthened so that the sunroof will not rattle nor leak.
Old 05-20-19, 07:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

In all the vehicles i’ve owned, i’ve never had ANY issue with a sunroof. They’ve never broken down, squeaked, rattled, or leaked. I think this concern is unfounded. Maybe in the 1980s when some people got an aftermarket cheesy sun roof.
I must be honest, when I have the roof open in my 4Runner, the thought does cross my mind that the roof may not close. It’s now in its 16 year on the road and it is a bit of a worry.

Last year, I did have a clogged water release, the floor was damp as apparently the roof has an escape route, some water can get in which drips through and escapes down the A pillar frame on the drivers side.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-20-19 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-20-19, 08:09 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

i prefer not to have one.

it's just another source of rattles. my es300 moonroof rattles like crazy.
I'm not sure if it's because the gasket is old or something.
Old 05-20-19, 08:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps not, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't look a little beyond your own experience.
Fair point... but at least we can agree that neither of us want a sunroof given the option.

i’ve only used it on the g90 once to see if it worked and if anything was unique about it (no).
Old 05-20-19, 08:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Fair point... but at least we can agree that neither of us want a sunroof given the option.

i’ve only used it on the g90 once to see if it worked and if anything was unique about it (no).
To be honest, though, my guess is that you sunroof will be at least reasonably reliable over the years. In some areas (and I've posted on this before) the Koreans, particularly Genesis, set the standard for using solid, well-built hardware in almost any vehicle less than a six-figure price. But not every vehicle comes from the factory like the way the typical Genesis product does. On some vehicles, the glass in the sunroof has been shattering with little or no warning....even, on occasion, in some Hyundais.

BTW, in the Florida climate you are in, I can understand not using it much. For most of the long summer, (and even in some other seasons), open it up, and you let in either extreme heat/humidity or thunderstorms.....not the most appetizing of choices. That's also one reason why virtually-standard air-conditioning, in many vehicles, replaced the old swing-open vent-windows decades ago.

I'm not just dissing Florida, BTW. Though somewhat shorter in length than in Florida, our own D.C. summers can also be miserable......in June, July, and early August, Washington is often hotter than Miami (and almost as humid), with frequent storms. Many tourists have never endured the kind of summers we get.....they come here to see the sights, and are absolutely shocked at the heat-indices here. The Park Police often set up aid stations on the Mall, during the summer, to deal with the inevitable cases of heat-exhaustion. Years ago, before the advent of A/C (the Capitol was the first major building in the country to get it), Congress took an annual, month-long August recess for a reason.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-20-19 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-20-19, 09:00 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Nothing wrong with that. I do not like the shade or roof open during the day, ever. I will only open at night. Does your wife have a sunroof?
Yes. She drives an Acura MDX with sun roof open all the time when weather permits.
Old 05-21-19, 01:11 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Except for one of my cars I always seem to only find examples of any model with the other options I want with a moonroof. I always much prefer the same car with the same options with NO moonroof. It's just more to break or leak later on and I never use them.

It's still not really a deal-breaker for me but since it's often a standard extra feature that I never want anyway I actually would be inclined at this point to try hard to get the model and options I want special ordered without a moonroof for once.

To me it's just a bit annoying that it always seems to be a standard feature like it or not. Also the standard moonroof trend seems to be a more prevalent in the U.S. than in other world markets.
Old 05-21-19, 04:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
To be honest, though, my guess is that you sunroof will be at least reasonably reliable over the years. In some areas (and I've posted on this before) the Koreans, particularly Genesis, set the standard for using solid, well-built hardware in almost any vehicle less than a six-figure price.
There is nothing special about Hyundai/Genesis and their so called solid hardware, they have issues like any other manufacturer.

https://genesisowners.com/genesis-fo...lt-down.19962/

https://genesisowners.com/genesis-fo...f-issue.25745/
Old 05-21-19, 05:06 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

I prefer a sunroof. I keep it closed most of the time except in the winter when we can usually get by without A/C. Also, with our hot summers in Florida, when my car is parked outside in the heat, I drop the windows & open the sunroof which allows the hot air to escape. I've had it programmed to not open the sunroof but doesn't work as well getting rid of the heat as with it open. This actually works better than having remote start to cool the car off here, as the A/C is working against temperatures well in excess of 100 degrees if the windows are left up. Also the dogs like it!
Old 05-21-19, 05:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

If you are taller than 6'5" at least in the old days you'd be trying to get a car without. Between drains getting clogged, not shutting or sealing properly, shattering, etc., imho nobody is missing anything who doesn't have one. Knock on wood I always wondered what happens if by accident it opens and is left open. I think sports cars are nicer without.
Old 05-21-19, 05:35 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

In anything more than 2 doors, it better have a sunroof. Nothing better than open air driving when possible.
Old 05-21-19, 06:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
In anything more than 2 doors, it better have a sunroof. Nothing better than open air driving when possible.
not me, i don’t like the wind noise. and i don’t recall the last car i was in where you could actually use a sunroof without the windows being open because of horrible buffeting wind which hurts my ears.
Old 05-21-19, 07:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
There is nothing special about Hyundai/Genesis and their so called solid hardware, they have issues like any other manufacturer.
While is is true that any manufacturer can have issues, IMO (and I look at a lot of new vehicles), the Koreans, in general, seem to use materials that have a heavier, more solid feel, and a more solid sound/feel to them while closing doors or using some of the interior parts. That is simply what my eyes, ears, and fingers/hands tell me......my opinion, not necessarily that of someone else.

And, I might add, Lincoln, on their latest vehicles, seems to be showing a huge improvement in the quality of some of their own materials they use, inside and out. Some of those materials, particularly on the dash and door panels, are even better, now, than what is found in Genesis products. Lincoln seems to be trying very hard to atone for past sins.
Old 05-21-19, 07:25 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

A sunroof or moon roof isn't a deal breaker for me. I've had crank type sunroofs and power operated moonroofs on cars for 35+ years with no issues on any of them. We rarely use them but it is nice on certain occasions to be able to open them up. The rest of the time they are left closed and nearly forgotten. It seems like all of the cars that I'm interested in these days have them.
Old 05-21-19, 07:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
A sunroof or moon roof isn't a deal breaker for me. I've had crank type sunroofs and power operated moonroofs on cars for 35+ years with no issues on any of them. We rarely use them but it is nice on certain occasions to be able to open them up. The rest of the time they are left closed and nearly forgotten. It seems like all of the cars that I'm interested in these days have them.
I'm glad you don't have any problems. IMO a crank-sunroof is clearly preferable to the electric-motor type...less chance of it failing. I don't know of any American-market vehicles, though, that still have hand-cranks for the sunroofs. Years ago, manufacturers provided a small emergency crank that, if the motor failed, you stuck it into a specially-designed hole or slot and cranked it shut. I haven't seen those for some time, though.

Quick Reply: Is a moonroof/sunroof a deal breaker for you?