Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > Car Chat
When's the last time you had to use a spare tire (I.e had a catastrophic flat tire)? >

When's the last time you had to use a spare tire (I.e had a catastrophic flat tire)?

Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: When is the last time you had a catastrophic tire failure that REQUIRED a spare tire?
Within the last year
25.49%
1-5 years ago
29.41%
6-10 years ago
3.92%
11-20 years ago
13.73%
20+ years ago
7.84%
Never, but I've been driving less than 10 years
5.88%
Never, and I've been driving over 20 years
13.73%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

When's the last time you had to use a spare tire (I.e had a catastrophic flat tire)?

Old 05-26-19, 02:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 680 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07 View Post
Ha ha, yeah perhaps that's not the best word choice. I think a flat is a flat. If you have one, you're not going anywhere fast.
The point is though, is it a flat that a can of fix a flat and a compressor can get you up and moving from. I think a lot of those people who voted yes had flats that it would have.
Old 05-26-19, 02:25 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
The point is though, is it a flat that a can of fix a flat and a compressor can get you up and moving from. I think a lot of those people who voted yes had flats that it would have.
Right. So you still need a new tire very soon after it. Fix a flat is just to get you to a tire shop. No different than a donut
Old 05-26-19, 02:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill View Post
Right. So you still need a new tire very soon after it. Fix a flat is just to get you to a tire shop. No different than a donut
Exactly. No different than any other spare. Even on my full-sized spare I'm going to get a new tire within a few days. The only potential issue is if you were traveling and had to get a tire replaced while you were traveling.
Old 05-26-19, 02:44 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly. No different than any other spare. Even on my full-sized spare I'm going to get a new tire within a few days. .
But you don’t have to get that full size tire fixed immediately. You absolutely must with a run flat, space saver or fix a flat. Just compare your LS460 vs a LS500. The value added to a run-flat is that you will not be pulling over on the side of a highway, I do see that angle.
Old 05-27-19, 10:15 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I respect your opinion, but i’ve tried fix a flat stuff twice and in neither case did it work. No thanks. I want a spare.
Old 05-27-19, 10:49 AM
tex2670
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
I respect your opinion, but i’ve tried fix a flat stuff twice and in neither case did it work. No thanks. I want a spare.
I used fix a flat once, and it DID work. But there's no way I'd have that be my only option. I want a spare; I'll settle for run-flats; I will not buy a car that only has an inflator kit. And if that means a car I really like gets crossed off my list, so be it.

The new G20 3-Series is making a spare tire an option, even though it comes with RFT. So they must have heard the complaints.
Old 05-27-19, 10:51 AM
tex2670
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not with the past 3 flats I've had.

Although, to be fair, 2 of those flats happened at the same time (front and back tires hit the same pothole at night), so my spare didn't get me going either.
Old 05-27-19, 04:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I definitely want a spare, don't get me wrong. I was just surprised when I really thought about it I've actually never needed my spare.
Old 05-27-19, 04:48 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

I definitely want a spare, don't get me wrong. I was just surprised when I really thought about it I've actually never needed my spare.
Have you heard of “Have it and not need it” vs “Need it and not have it” ?
Old 05-27-19, 04:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Have you heard of “Have it and not need it” vs “Need it and not have it” ?
No doubt, as soon as you needed it and you didn't have it you would wish you did. I agree 100%, cars should have spare tires.
Old 05-28-19, 09:06 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Fix-a-flat has worked for me at least 2 times. I used to leave my spare tire at home to save weight during my street racing days. I was usually less than 10 miles from home.
Old 05-28-19, 09:25 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

But you don’t have to get that full size tire fixed immediately. You absolutely must with a run flat, space saver or fix a flat. Just compare your LS460 vs a LS500. The value added to a run-flat is that you will not be pulling over on the side of a highway, I do see that angle.
Like any tire a run-flat tire must be properly inflated to function as designed. I occasionally work as a Chauffer and one of my rich ***** clients has 2 RollsRoyces. As usual when I arrive at her home I can tell by looking the RR tires are low on air. She was running late so we had no time to add air to the tires even though I told her it was not safe. The highway is close to her house once I got up to 60 mph a rear tire blewout. Since the "runflat " tires have extra thick sidewalls it sounded like a bomb exploding.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When's the last time you had to use a spare tire (I.e had a catastrophic flat tire)?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: