Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: When is the last time you had a catastrophic tire failure that REQUIRED a spare tire?
Within the last year
24.14%
1-5 years ago
27.59%
6-10 years ago
8.62%
11-20 years ago
12.07%
20+ years ago
8.62%
Never, but I've been driving less than 10 years
5.17%
Never, and I've been driving over 20 years
13.79%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

When's the last time you had to use a spare tire (I.e had a catastrophic flat tire)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19, 11:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Regal, though, is Opel-designed (a rebadged Opel Insignia), so I'm not sure if that omission is on Opel or Buick.
Has a Buick badge on the steering wheel?
Old 05-21-19, 11:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
Hit a huge pot hole last November and the runflat on my Mercedes failed in the side wall. The runflat was useless and I had to limp home, good thing I wasn't too far. I then had to call Mercedes to get the car flatbedded to the dealer.
Thanks for sharing. Would of been a whole different experience if there was full size spare .
Old 05-21-19, 12:19 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The Regal, though, is Opel-designed (a rebadged Opel Insignia), so I'm not sure if that omission is on Opel or Buick.
I'm not sure why that would matter? Try telling that Regal buyer that didn't know there was no spare "Oh, well, that's Opel's fault."
Old 05-21-19, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm not sure why that would matter? Try telling that Regal buyer that didn't know there was no spare "Oh, well, that's Opel's fault."
Agreed....I'm presenting it from the point of view of car-people like us, who know how new vehicles are sourced, and where they come from. The average John Q. Public, most of the time, doesn't. But my point is that if Opel doesn't design the trunk (or the cargo-area of the wagon, which is also sold here) with enough space for a full-sized spare, one cannot blame Buick...they aren't going to completely redesign the trunk just for the American market.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-21-19 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-21-19, 03:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

But my point is that if Opel doesn't design the trunk (or the cargo-area of the wagon, which is also sold here) with enough space for a full-sized spare, one cannot blame Buick...they aren't going to completely redesign the trunk just for the American market.
So I did a bit of research. The Opel comes with either a flat kit or a spare. The Buick is just a flat kit. My opinion, this is all on Buick
Old 05-21-19, 04:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So I did a bit of research. The Opel comes with either a flat kit or a spare. The Buick is just a flat kit. My opinion, this is all on Buick
I'm not disagreeing with you.....again, I was talking about a "what if?" scenario that was brought up. I think you and both have made it clear that we agree that having a spare is important. A real full-time spare, of course, is best, but few vehicles outside of off-road-capable trucks and SUVs offer them today. So, in that case, a full-size temporary spare (like I had on my Verano when I needed it) is the next-best alternative.
Old 05-22-19, 02:54 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Had three flats on my Good Years in 5 years. Went through 3 new tires.

The issue with tires and a spade saver is that if it goes on a long trip, you are really out of luck. How far can one go on a space saver? All cars should have at least a full size spare, that way a long journey can continue, at full speed and full distance.

Once I was on a road trip with my Mom & the right rear tire failed. I knew it was unrepairable so mounted the spacesaver. driving 55 mph for about 200 miles to get to a large town to replace the tire was no problem.
What kills any tire is overheating it. Easiest way to do this is excessive weight or not enough air pressure to support the load. As long as you drive appropretely with the spacesaver there is no limitation on distance. I think most start with 5/32nds tread depth for cars.
Old 05-22-19, 03:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
As long as you drive appropretely with the spacesaver there is no limitation on distance.
The auto manufacturers, though, seem to disagree. Temporary, donut, and run-flat tires usually have clear warnings and disclaimers on them limiting them to around 50 miles or so, at 50 MPH or less. They are simply not meant to replace a true spare tire, which is the same as the four OEM's and can even be rotated with them.

It's even worse on AWD vehicles, with a center-differential. In some cases, the AWD must be disconnected by pulling a fuse or turning a switch off, leaving the vehicle in FWD, and the smaller tire put on back. If it's a front tire that fails, one of the good ones from the back is switched up front so that you have two regular tires up front, and the smaller one put in back. The idea is to not have a smaller tire than the other three up front, where the difference in wheel-rotation can mess up the differentials/final-drive units from too much heat-buildup. At the time I owned my Subaru Outback, for example (10-15 years ago), that was SOP for many AWD vehicles on a tire-failure...though, since then, advances in the AWD systems themselves may have lessened the need for that procedure.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-22-19 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-23-19, 05:26 AM
Blze001
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Only time I've had to utilize a spare was when I ran over some construction debris that flew out of a dumptruck. Luckily it was my pickup, so fullsize spare, and it was just one nail, so I had time to get off the highway and into a parking lot.
Old 05-23-19, 07:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blze001
Only time I've had to utilize a spare was when I ran over some construction debris that flew out of a dumptruck. Luckily it was my pickup, so fullsize spare, and it was just one nail, so I had time to get off the highway and into a parking lot.
That's why, with its endless construction zones, this is a common sight in my area, although I'll admit that sometimes it can be difficult to actually avoid following.

Some places, of course, have covered-load laws for dump-trucks, but that doesn't always stop all of the debris from getting out.

Old 05-23-19, 08:55 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

The auto manufacturers, though, seem to disagree. Temporary, donut, and run-flat tires usually have clear warnings and disclaimers on them limiting them to around 50 miles or so, at 50 MPH or less. They are simply not meant to replace a true spare tire, which is the same as the four OEM's and can even be rotated with them.

It's even worse on AWD vehicles, with a center-differential. In some cases, the AWD must be disconnected by pulling a fuse or turning a switch off, leaving the vehicle in FWD, and the smaller tire put on back. If it's a front tire that fails, one of the good ones from the back is switched up front so that you have two regular tires up front, and the smaller one put in back. The idea is to not have a smaller tire than the other three up front, where the difference in wheel-rotation can mess up the differentials/final-drive units from too much heat-buildup. At the time I owned my Subaru Outback, for example (10-15 years ago), that was SOP for many AWD vehicles on a tire-failure...though, since then, advances in the AWD systems themselves may have lessened the need for that procedure.
As Jose Wales sez," A man's got to know his limitations" the only way to know them is to test them.
Old 05-23-19, 12:52 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,502 Likes on 1,804 Posts

I definitely had a spare up front on my IS 300 AWD recently. I only drove to work and back, and then to Costco, so hopefully not enough to cause any issues. As you may know, the IS 300 AWD also has a full-time AWD system. So... yeah I don't know whether this was a bad idea or not. It IS a rear-biased system after all - so maybe no harm was done.

I do notice the following warning in the owner's manual, as well:

Also, not only can the following system not be utilized fully, but it may even negatively affect the drive-train components:

• AWD system

Old 05-23-19, 04:57 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I am pretty peeved that my full-size, 60k+ MSRP, 4x4 Pickup truck has a donut under the back end.

IMO, any car other than compacts should come with a real spare. My ES has one, and I actually had to use it about 2 months ago. I was on my way to Commerce TX, from my home. Thats a roughly 50 mile one-way drive. Had I had a donut spare, I would have had to drive about 85 miles on it.
Old 05-26-19, 01:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I was out of town and just came back to this thread. I find it really surprising that 52% of respondents have in fact had a CATASTROPHIC flat in the past 5 years...
Old 05-26-19, 02:13 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,502 Likes on 1,804 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I was out of town and just came back to this thread. I find it really surprising that 52% of respondents have in fact had a CATASTROPHIC flat in the past 5 years...
Ha ha, yeah perhaps that's not the best word choice. I think a flat is a flat. If you have one, you're not going anywhere fast.

Quick Reply: When's the last time you had to use a spare tire (I.e had a catastrophic flat tire)?