Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: When is the last time you had a catastrophic tire failure that REQUIRED a spare tire?
Within the last year
24.14%
1-5 years ago
27.59%
6-10 years ago
8.62%
11-20 years ago
12.07%
20+ years ago
8.62%
Never, but I've been driving less than 10 years
5.17%
Never, and I've been driving over 20 years
13.79%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

When's the last time you had to use a spare tire (I.e had a catastrophic flat tire)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 11:55 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hit something in the road that completely slashed through the sidewall of the Kia K900 evaluation car I was driving that week. It did have a temp spare in the trunk
Old 05-20-19, 12:12 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

~2 years ago I had a small bubble on the sidewall that grew large enough and popped while pulling out of the garage.
Old 05-20-19, 12:15 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,492 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by ABC
~2 years ago I had a small bubble on the sidewall that grew large enough and popped while pulling out of the garage.
Yeah. A bubble is a death knell for a tire. I had never had one, so I asked around and my friends were divided between "Go get it fixed ASAP" and "Don't even drive on it, switch to the spare." So, I went to the spare.

Here's what I was dealing with...

Old 05-20-19, 01:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
What do you mean "now"? My 1978 Malibu had a temporary spare. While full-sized spares were a more common option back then, they haven't been the norm for quite a long time.
Was not referring to "now" as in the now compared to 1978.

And a full sized spare doesn't really eliminate the 2-step process, unless you just intend to drive around w/o a functioning spare after you replace the flat with the full-sized spare. You really would want to replace the flat with the spare and then get the flat replaced with a new tire--still 2 steps.
A full size spare is not an immediate two-step process, a space saver is as well as run flats. You can only go roughly 50 or so miles on either and a space saver you cannot go past 50mph on the highway, you automatically must get a new tire. So lets say you take a long trip, a multi-day trip that crosses 5 or 6 states, somewhere along the way you get a flat in the new LS500, those run flats take you how far? Then you have to get a new tire? It is Saturday evening at 10pm when the flat occurs. You still have 1000 miles to go and you are trying to get something for Monday which is very important for you... compared that to driving a previous year LS460? The flat occurs, full size tires goes on, you can continue your travels uninterrupted.

My family and I are currently on a very long travel vacation by car. I fly back to meet up with my family this week, but the thought has crossed our mind as to what happens if we were to have a flat while travelling.

There must be reason as to why Toyota in Australia has the option for a full size space in the cars, while the US does not. The new models have the design for it in the new TNGA Corolla Hatch.

I do respect the idea that most people do not stray far from home. And I do understand that many people do not drive past the average miles of a lease or ownership per year.

I have only started to think ^^^ way because I had three flats within 4 years on my Good Year Eagle tires. Each and every time I had to go and get a new tire or the current tire plugged. However, each and every time my highway travel was limited as you can only go 50mph, and the car does not drive very well either with a space saver.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-20-19 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-20-19, 01:32 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

my mom just got one on her new C300 lease with like 750 miles on it

naturally it wasn't covered, i told them the AMG wheels were a dumb move... they chose this over the 4 series (without even driving the bimmer) since mercedes makes "smoother" cars, but then went and got the AMG style package which undoes some of the smoothness! my dad does admit that he has basically no patience for car shopping though lol, and they saw this one in stock got a "fair" price and said screw it let's get this over with... it's also just a lease so they figure oh well it's only a couple years
Old 05-20-19, 02:16 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,492 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639

naturally it wasn't covered, i told them the AMG wheels were a dumb move... they chose this over the 4 series (without even driving the bimmer) since mercedes makes "smoother" cars, but then went and got the AMG style package which undoes some of the smoothness! my dad does admit that he has basically no patience for car shopping though lol, and they saw this one in stock got a "fair" price and said screw it let's get this over with... it's also just a lease so they figure oh well it's only a couple years
Maybe she just hit a pothole badly enough? I mean I've been driving on the F Sport wheels for a long time and never gotten a bubble (till now), even with its 225/40 and 255/35 tires. I wouldn't blame it specifically on the wheel/tire package, though a combo of underinflated tires and lower profile certainly wouldn't help matters.

Last edited by arentz07; 05-20-19 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-20-19, 02:57 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by arentz07
Maybe she just hit a pothole badly enough? I mean I've been driving on the F Sport wheels for a long time and never gotten a bubble (till now), even with its 225/40 and 255/35 tires. I wouldn't blame it specifically on the wheel/tire package, though a combo of underinflated tires and lower profile certainly wouldn't help matters.
i know i'm just saying the low profiles increase the likelihood of it happening

i'm also a bit annoyed that they didn't get a 2013 land cruiser lol
Old 05-20-19, 04:46 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Was not referring to "now" as in the now compared to 1978.

A full size spare is not an immediate two-step process, a space saver is as well as run flats. You can only go roughly 50 or so miles on either and a space saver you cannot go past 50mph on the highway, you automatically must get a new tire. So lets say you take a long trip, a multi-day trip that crosses 5 or 6 states, somewhere along the way you get a flat in the new LS500, those run flats take you how far? Then you have to get a new tire? It is Saturday evening at 10pm when the flat occurs. You still have 1000 miles to go and you are trying to get something for Monday which is very important for you... compared that to driving a previous year LS460? The flat occurs, full size tires goes on, you can continue your travels uninterrupted.

My family and I are currently on a very long travel vacation by car. I fly back to meet up with my family this week, but the thought has crossed our mind as to what happens if we were to have a flat while travelling.

There must be reason as to why Toyota in Australia has the option for a full size space in the cars, while the US does not. The new models have the design for it in the new TNGA Corolla Hatch.

I do respect the idea that most people do not stray far from home. And I do understand that many people do not drive past the average miles of a lease or ownership per year.

I have only started to think ^^^ way because I had three flats within 4 years on my Good Year Eagle tires. Each and every time I had to go and get a new tire or the current tire plugged. However, each and every time my highway travel was limited as you can only go 50mph, and the car does not drive very well either with a space saver.
I understand the benefits of a full-sized spare. But this is not a new trend--full-sized spares have been a rarity for decades.

I'm more concerned about cars with no spare tire and no run-flat tires. Do you think the typical Buick Regal buyer realizes that the car only comes with an inflator kit? Do you think the average salesperson is pointing this out? (I don't even think you can get one as an accessory).
Old 05-20-19, 04:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I understand the benefits of a full-sized spare. But this is not a new trend--full-sized spares have been a rarity for decades.

I'm more concerned about cars with no spare tire and no run-flat tires. Do you think the typical Buick Regal buyer realizes that the car only comes with an inflator kit? Do you think the average salesperson is pointing this out? (I don't even think you can get one as an accessory).

Most people don’t care. Most Buick buyers have no idea. A salesman would never point it out.
Old 05-20-19, 05:29 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Most people don’t care. Most Buick buyers have no idea. A salesman would never point it out.
I agree with the last 2 points, but not the first. Most people don't care that their car has no spare tire?!
Old 05-20-19, 05:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I agree with the last 2 points, but not the first. Most people don't care that their car has no spare tire?!
most don’t care their car does not have a full size spare.
Old 05-20-19, 06:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

There must be reason as to why Toyota in Australia has the option for a full size spare in the cars, while the US does not.
Though this does not necessarily justify U.S.-spec vehicles not having one, I think one possible explanation is simply the comparison of the two countries themselves. Australia itself is almost as large as the mainland U.S., yet, unlike the mainland U.S., which has true desert only in parts of a few Southwestern states, most of the vast Australian interior, away from the coast where the cities are, is simply one large desert (indeed, that is where the term "Outback" comes from). So, unlike the U.S., there are relatively few roads, service facilities, gas stations, towns, etc.....in the interior. Under those conditions, it is critical to have a real spare tire......a run-flat or other temporary spare that can only go about 50 miles or so (at reduced speed) is all but worthless.
Old 05-20-19, 07:41 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Back in HS my buddy's dad came home with a new "used" interesting car almost every 6 months, it was a joke. He loved wheeling and dealing and every car that he came home with was a "steal." About 3 years ago we were talking and he said imagine all the money he wasted over the years on cars. Then what does he do? 2 years ago he gets a 1965 Mustang convertible because he always wanted one. lol

I asked him a serious question and he avoided answering, and that was why did he let me drive his 5 series BMW anytime I wanted, when I was only 16? I would never do that with my son's friends in the future. Maybe times have changed. He would go on vacation and leave me a car to drive.

I never experienced a bubble nor a blowout, only slow leaks. My shed has no less than about 16-20 tires and rims, it's ridiculous.
Old 05-20-19, 08:47 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Pretty common issue as noted in the MB forums. I was looking at leasing a C43 and saw a few posts on MBworld and it seems a lot of people are popping tires with the run flats and 19” rims. I called a guy I know who is a service advisor at MB and asked if it was a common problem and he said he sees it all the time and if you lease one of these you should get the wheel and tire insurance package as it will easily pay for itself.
Old 05-20-19, 09:20 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by patgilm
Pretty common issue as noted in the MB forums. I was looking at leasing a C43 and saw a few posts on MBworld and it seems a lot of people are popping tires with the run flats and 19” rims. I called a guy I know who is a service advisor at MB and asked if it was a common problem and he said he sees it all the time and if you lease one of these you should get the wheel and tire insurance package as it will easily pay for itself.
well despite having a son who did this for almost 2 years, they decided to just go without me one day and sign papers lol

they also knew I'd be intentionally annoying about the whole process since they weren't looking at some form of land cruiser, oh well it's a fun little car with an irritatingly low roofline

Quick Reply: When's the last time you had to use a spare tire (I.e had a catastrophic flat tire)?