Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

weird scenario

Old 05-14-19, 10:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default weird scenario

I think I got played, duped, what have you.

Yesterday, I was driving along, and I see blue lights. This is in NJ.

Vehicle is approaching at a high rate of speed, so I pull over and let it go.

Here's where it didn't feel right--it was a 1988 Ford Tempo. I immediately caught back up to get him on my dash cam. I noticed that nobody else would yield to him, AND, when he was able to, he did not pass anyone when a left lane became available.

Now, according to this, it would make sense, partially, but not the high rate of speed. I think that there should be some sort of identification, to indicate that the lights were legit, from the front and/or back. my .02

Maybe I am being stereotypical, but if it were a F150 or Silverado, I wouldn't have found the situation to be odd...

https://nj1015.com/new-jerseys-emerg...s-of-the-road/
Old 05-14-19, 11:28 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I think I got played, duped, what have you.

Yesterday, I was driving along, and I see blue lights. This is in NJ.

Vehicle is approaching at a high rate of speed, so I pull over and let it go.

Here's where it didn't feel right--it was a 1988 Ford Tempo. I immediately caught back up to get him on my dash cam. I noticed that nobody else would yield to him, AND, when he was able to, he did not pass anyone when a left lane became available.

Now, according to this, it would make sense, partially, but not the high rate of speed. I think that there should be some sort of identification, to indicate that the lights were legit, from the front and/or back. my .02

Maybe I am being stereotypical, but if it were a F150 or Silverado, I wouldn't have found the situation to be odd...

https://nj1015.com/new-jerseys-emerg...s-of-the-road/
I've seen plenty of volunteer firefighters that don't drive trucks as their personal vehicles.
Old 05-14-19, 11:40 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I've seen plenty of volunteer firefighters that don't drive trucks as their personal vehicles.
It was odd that he did not pass when he could, and that nobody else would yield to him. He did have a LED bar on top of his dash. At the same time, the article said they aren't allowed to speed. I'm going to chalk it up to no harm, no foul, I didn't lose anything. If he is not legit, someone would eventually report him....around me, it seems the fire guys all have the special plates with their own company, so even though not required it makes it legit to me...
Old 05-14-19, 08:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Here's where it didn't feel right--it was a 1988 Ford Tempo.
I didn't think any of them were still running LOL. Most American-designed cars of that era were junk.
Old 05-15-19, 01:04 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

The law here in CA is you cannot have such (blue) lights unless you have a CA exempt or government plate to go with it. Some do break that rule though.
I once saw a green Suburban light up someone on the 5, and that person never pulled over. After many miles, the Suburban eventually gave up and everyone went on their way.
Old 05-15-19, 05:54 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I didn't think any of them were still running LOL. Most American-designed cars of that era were junk.
It escapes me but the engine had a name and I thought it was actually well built or maybe I'm just totally making it up. I know the cars were not good, but was that 4 cyl. engine a good one?

Why I think I got duped was that nobody else pulled over, and the car did not pass anybody else when he had the chance to. But again it won't be me, maybe someone down the line would report the guy and at that time some boys in blue will knock on his door and see what's going on...

edit I think I'm wrong about the name I was thinking "Vulcan" but that was a V6.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 05-15-19 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-15-19, 06:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

It escapes me but the engine had a name and I thought it was actually well built or maybe I'm just totally making it up. I know the cars were not good, but was that 4 cyl. engine a good one?
OK.....what you're thinking of was probably the HSC (High-Swirl-Combustion) nickname that Ford gave the initial 2.3L four that was standard in the Ford Tempo/Mercury Topaz. But, no matter how well-built an engine is, it can be useless with a crappy transmission...and Fords of the era, with a couple of exceptions, were not known for the most durable transmissions.
Old 05-15-19, 06:41 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK.....what you're thinking of was probably the HSC (High-Swirl-Combustion) nickname that Ford gave the initial 2.3L four that was standard in the Ford Tempo/Mercury Topaz. But, no matter how well-built an engine is, it can be useless with a crappy transmission...and Fords of the era, with a couple of exceptions, were not known for the most durable transmissions.
True story, I got my first new car in 1998, the Maxima SE 5-spd. Leading up to it? I dreamed about a Ford Taurus with the Duratec, because I wanted to break the 200 HP barrier. People were asking me why in the world would you want a Taurus? Actually, I liked them when I rented cars, generally speaking. Probably the Maxima was the better choice, but it would be another 8+ years before I broke the 200 HP barrier. It was go directly to 300!
Old 05-16-19, 09:34 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

that 5 speed maxima was one hell of a car, that was my first car in college; I was coming from a Sentra so the maxima felt like a lambo. I put on greedy exhaust, some nice wheels and lowering springs, etc. Also a full audio system, alpine probably worth more than the car. It was the time pf fast and furious days.

True story, I got my first new car in 1998, the Maxima SE 5-spd. Leading up to it? I dreamed about a Ford Taurus with the Duratec, because I wanted to break the 200 HP barrier. People were asking me why in the world would you want a Taurus? Actually, I liked them when I rented cars, generally speaking. Probably the Maxima was the better choice, but it would be another 8+ years before I broke the 200 HP barrier. It was go directly to 300!