Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The new Lincoln Aviator...a NICE job.

Old 05-09-19, 05:19 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

A coworker of mine is in the market to replace his Explorer and the only thing keeping from getting Aviator is...the new Explorer. Both look to be great options
Old 05-09-19, 05:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
A coworker of mine is in the market to replace his Explorer and the only thing keeping from getting Aviator is...the new Explorer. Both look to be great options
The Ford people told me that the new 2020 Explorer should start shipping in a few weeks...we'll see. I've got it on my review list, BTW....per CL request.
Old 05-09-19, 07:21 PM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
The new Explorer does look like a nice option but the Aviator looks so much more upscale,unlike the last generation that was mostly an Explorer rebadge. Depending how you option the new Explorer, you’re close to Aviator territory.
Old 05-10-19, 12:35 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I saw one on the road a couple weeks back and was very impressed. The front end looked a little funky - almost disproportionate to the amount of slope in the roof line towards the rear, but overall a very attractive SUV. If buyers can move beyond Lincolns lackluster past, I think this could be a serious contender for someone looking for a mid-size luxury SUV.
Old 05-10-19, 02:18 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Abraham Lincoln would be so proud.
Old 05-10-19, 02:43 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

i gotta say its absolutley beautiful. looks more like a concept car then something real.
Old 05-10-19, 06:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stereorob
i gotta say its absolutley beautiful. looks more like a concept car then something real.
The actual materials used inside also back up the looks. This is not the typical cost-cutting stuff we have seen so often, in even many upmarket vehicles. Lincoln is obviously trying to atone for past sins.

I did not ask the dealership just how they happened to get that Aviator parked in the showroom....perhaps (?) I should have. No other Ford/Lincoln shops in the D.C. area (and/or apparently, in other regions as well) have been able to get any Aviators yet.
Old 05-11-19, 06:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Based on looks, I really like it. The front door panels where I assume the tweeters are look like the S class grilles.

I swore never to buy a GM again, wonder if I would get burned with a Ford....my brother is having a sunroof issue on his new ford raptor and dealer can't seem to fix it. Buddy with his Navigator said Lincoln service isn't great so he goes to Ford which is the same but a little less costly.

As far as the legroom, wonder if a Nav non L suits the needs of people who need something bigger but aren't running an airport limo service..

edit ps those front seats look supportive, and the backing reminds me of M3, these are all touches that are great to see

edit 2 hasn't ford completely obliterated Cadillac, with 400/400 standard? GM products are still using basically a 2008 engine in 2019 cars, with no torque let alone anything near 400. Remember I drove that brand new Impala and thought it should be peppier for a turbo 4 (assumption). Then I found out it was a 3.6 V6 that is really thirsty yet doesn't put out...like a lot of dates I had in HS

Last edited by Johnhav430; 05-11-19 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-11-19, 08:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I swore never to buy a GM again, wonder if I would get burned with a Ford....my brother is having a sunroof issue on his new ford raptor and dealer can't seem to fix it. Buddy with his Navigator said Lincoln service isn't great so he goes to Ford which is the same but a little less costly.
my '04 f150 and '06 explorer i had until '15 were both excellent. no issues except a cd would get stuck in the explorer and they replaced the whole nav unit, lol.
Old 05-11-19, 08:43 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
my '04 f150 and '06 explorer i had until '15 were both excellent. no issues except a cd would get stuck in the explorer and they replaced the whole nav unit, lol.
Sweet....I would just hate to go for service and say, dang I knew this would happen, two people already told me so! lol Seriously that is a sharp car, but if the service were like GMC, it would be very frustrating....I know that taking over 1 year to fix a captain's chair is extreme, but it's just the lack of caring on that and other issues that makes the warranty not worth a lot in the case of GM...there are some huge Ford dealerships with really crazy hours, like midnight? Maybe they're fine.
Old 05-11-19, 10:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Pictures, BTW, don't really do this interior justice...you have to check it out in person to see how nice it is built. I didn't care for the upright video-screen housing (which, IMO, should have been integrated into the dash)...but everything else is A-1.
ok, i'll wait until i see it but for now i'm not feeling it as much as you. and agree the bolt on upright screen (not just this vehicle but all) is a trend i really don't like.

i mean if you're going to do the 'sweeping bar' across the dash, why does it have to be so boring? the ls500 sweeping dash is STUNNING in contrast.

Old 05-11-19, 10:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Sweet....I would just hate to go for service and say, dang I knew this would happen, two people already told me so! lol Seriously that is a sharp car, but if the service were like GMC, it would be very frustrating....I know that taking over 1 year to fix a captain's chair is extreme, but it's just the lack of caring on that and other issues that makes the warranty not worth a lot in the case of GM...there are some huge Ford dealerships with really crazy hours, like midnight? Maybe they're fine.
wait for the genesis 3 row.. you'll never have to set foot in the dealer at least.
Old 05-11-19, 11:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ok, i'll wait until i see it but for now i'm not feeling it as much as you. and agree the bolt on upright screen (not just this vehicle but all) is a trend i really don't like.

i mean if you're going to do the 'sweeping bar' across the dash, why does it have to be so boring? the ls500 sweeping dash is STUNNING in contrast.

I looked at the new LS500 at the D.C. Auto Show, and, while I agree that some of the interior trim materials are very impressive, IMO they aren't any better (or, in some cases, not as good) as what Lincoln is using on its latest products. The LS, though, to its credit, does do the video screen correctly....integrated with the dash instead of a cheesy-looking stick-up frame.
Old 05-11-19, 07:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I don't love the design of the Aviator's dash either personally...
Old 05-11-19, 07:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I looked at the new LS500 at the D.C. Auto Show, and, while I agree that some of the interior trim materials are very impressive, IMO they aren't any better (or, in some cases, not as good) as what Lincoln is using on its latest products.
I'm not referring to materials, this is about design.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The new Lincoln Aviator...a NICE job.