Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > Car Chat
brightened my day--6MT Corollas are in stock >

brightened my day--6MT Corollas are in stock

Notices
Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brightened my day--6MT Corollas are in stock

Old 05-09-19, 07:55 AM
JDR76
Lexus Fanatic

Received 375 Likes on 300 Posts

Sadly, the only manual transmission I now own is my 2001 Silverado. I do long to someday pick up something small and fun with a manual. Perhaps a Miata or BRZ/GT86 as a used bargain down the road. I drove manuals exclusively for years. Never minded it in traffic and miss it every day.

I do sometimes use the radar cruise in my GS in bumper to bumper traffic, and it is nice how it'll just crawl along with the flow, but I wouldn't miss the feature that much if I were able to have a manual. Trade-offs.
Old 05-09-19, 09:24 AM
GS3Tek
Lexus Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I saw the smurf blue one on the road and I love the looks!
I'm going to check it out myself and see it drives

Originally Posted by RNM GS3 View Post
Weird that Corolla has Manual but not the Supra!
yep.....not to poke at the bee's nest, but I was going to comment about this also

a corolla manual that really no one asked for while a "sports car's" answer as to why there's no manual: "oh, we'll wait and see if there's a demand"
Old 05-09-19, 10:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 225 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
If it's simply the sheer joy of manual-shifting that you are looking for, it's probably hard to beat a Mazda Miata (or the Miata-based Fiat 124 Spyder). For several reasons, though (light weight, RWD, and poor wet/snow traction among them), unlike a Corolla, both are generally fair-weather cars, even with the optional folding hard-top, and might not be suitable for daily commuting in bad weather. You also, of course, have to be able to actually FIT inside one of them LOL.
Well of course it has to have some utility...my ultimate reasonable manual car would be a Golf R. But VW is not a car co. I would even consider (3 relatives owned them and were treated horribly, i.e. cars under a full warranty made to pay for repairs later class action and refund). Everytime I see one I wonder if that person driving it realizes how lucky they are to have that much enjoyment lol

Miata is likely a great car, as is a M2, but now we're leaving the price numbers where it could make total sense value-wise....saw a M2 comp in traffic and I didn't even find anything wrong with its looks...what a great car....10" wide rims in back no joke....the Corolla is likely a car you can buy, and nobody thinks it was a wrong decision. You won't get any status, but you will get a stick and it can be one's own secret pleasure...now if there were some Toyota variant of a Corolla GTI which was more than mats and stickers, dang......
Old 05-09-19, 10:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by plex View Post
I may be wrong but a Corolla and Miata are not typically cross shopped. One is a solid commuter car and the other more of a weekend warrior for windy and twisty roads or on a road course.

Yes I agree they are not competitors by any stretch of the imagination.......I was simply refering to how nice the Miata is, though, for those who seem to enjoy manual shifting.
Old 05-09-19, 10:44 AM
Aprilia
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Manuals are a waste for city driving. How do I know? I had one for 11yrs. Began to hate it and it puts extra wear and tear on ur knee/hip.

You really don't get to row thru the gears and you look foolish rev matching on downshifts.

If you're gonna go that way get an underpowered car, that way you actually need to row thru the gears. I had a manual V8 and a lot of the time I could just stay in the wrong gear because of the torque the engine makes.

At the track it's completely opposite. None of us are racing so chasing the 0.3 sec advantage an automatic gives you is pointless,,, I would rather row thru the gears and manually blip the throttle&rev match on downshifts.

Also, having a manual that auto blips the throttle is bass ackwards. Either you're all the way in or out, not halfway. Either work all three pedals or go full auto.

My 0.2c
Old 05-12-19, 08:40 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
Manuals are a waste for city driving. How do I know? I had one for 11yrs. Began to hate it and it puts extra wear and tear on ur knee/hip.
yup, when i moved to atlanta with my stick legend, it didn’t take long before i began to hate driving it there too! Loved that car though... guy i sold it to was over the moon.

Then i moved to small town florida and got a stick miata a few years later. Really fun but most of the roads here are very straight and of course pretty much or entirely flat. I enjoyed it but sold it after divorce. I had mixed feelings about selling it but quickly realized i didn’t really miss it.

Let’s face it, sticks are a dying breed. They’re inconvenient in cities as you say, and less efficient, and slower. They’re definitely fun for that mechanical feel, but fewer and fewer will appreciate or want them.
Old 05-13-19, 11:57 AM
b2884987
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
Each to his own, but you enjoy rowing your own gears in that bumper-to-bumper Philly traffic?
Hey I still enjoy rowing my own gears, and I live in California traffic. It keeps me awake rather than the autos that bore me to sleep just letting on and off the brakes.
Old 05-13-19, 01:14 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
yup, when i moved to atlanta with my stick legend, it didn’t take long before i began to hate driving it there too! Loved that car though... guy i sold it to was over the moon.

Then i moved to small town florida and got a stick miata a few years later. Really fun but most of the roads here are very straight and of course pretty much or entirely flat. I enjoyed it but sold it after divorce. I had mixed feelings about selling it but quickly realized i didn’t really miss it.

Let’s face it, sticks are a dying breed. They’re inconvenient in cities as you say, and less efficient, and slower. They’re definitely fun for that mechanical feel, but fewer and fewer will appreciate or want them.
Not to sidetrack this too much what year Legend did you have? I remember the Legend Coupes and the back window coming down and fell in love lol. I thought they looked better than SC's at the time of course I wasn't driving yet but always drooled.
Old 05-13-19, 01:15 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 225 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by b2884987 View Post
Hey I still enjoy rowing my own gears, and I live in California traffic. It keeps me awake rather than the autos that bore me to sleep just letting on and off the brakes.
It's hard to prove things nowadays. If you say your back hurts, I can't prove otherwise. lol

I am totally with you. I drove a stick on Friday through bumper to bumper traffic, refreshing. Today, back to my LS430 bumper to bumper traffic. I wish the LS430 had a stick. Not really sure what traffic has to do with anything, either you like one way, or you like the other. The your stick is slower, it gets bad fuel economy (does it lol), and you will develop hip and knee problems and probably even a boil on you butt as a result, I don't think it's the case but it could be.

Imho it's this simple. When a trucker is buying his own Peterbilt 389 it's almost always gonna be an 18-speed manual. He's actually going to get worse fuel economy. But when he spends that much money, he wants what he or she wants. If a corporation is buying a truck, today, it will always be an automatic. Easier to hire drivers, and better fuel economy. On the indedpendent trucker's choice, no different than if you or I prefer a manual.

How about people riding mountain bikes on the road? Shouldn't they be happier with a road bike? I think it's that people who like manuals are so in the minority, maybe < 1% of the general population, it's a position that can't be explained. That's ok, you and I know what we like...
Old 05-13-19, 07:11 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Champion

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

i would love to also have a manual car, but to only have one car and have it be a manual i'd sort of rather not... the autos in my cars are good enough that not being manual isn't really sacrificing much

one of the top most fun moments i've had in any car though was in this manual scion xb that someone traded in, it's not too often a manual anything comes by so i took it out behind the dealer for a few minutes with my friend... i did the full wundundundundun clutch drop from redline in 1st and quickly banged out the first two gear shifts yelling MICHAEL SCHUMACHER (in the murray walker voice) as i grabbed 3rd, 1-2 and 2-3 went perfectly and i got the wheelspin in 1st just right... it was so damn paul walker

that experience cemented my belief that a small cheap car with a manual has about the best smiles per dollar ratio out there, possibly even better than an ex-cop crown vic with a limited slip diff
Old 05-13-19, 09:06 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by plex View Post
Not to sidetrack this too much what year Legend did you have? I remember the Legend Coupes and the back window coming down and fell in love lol. I thought they looked better than SC's at the time of course I wasn't driving yet but always drooled.
I had an ‘87 silver 5 speed coupe first and then a ‘94 dark green 4 door Legend GS 6 speed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: