Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Epidemic of extremely slow drivers!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-19, 06:12 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

In Response to MattyG.

I am one of the safest most responsible drivers out there. My driving record reflects that.

On a side note I was driving to Sacramento Ca today and there was this guy slowing down the whole freeway in the middle lane, when I finally caught up to him he had a cheeseburger in one hand and a pile of fries in the other hand and was steering with his knees.

After seeing old Leonard Lunch Box stuffing his face, I felt like I should invent a cup holder that goes over his neck and holds the big gulp at straw distance on the center of his chest so he can at least slurp his 56 oncer in safety while he packs a double cheese burger with fries into his potato hole.
Old 05-03-19, 06:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by CAHWY128
On a side note I was driving to Sacramento Ca today and there was this guy slowing down the whole freeway in the middle lane, when I finally caught up to him he had a cheeseburger in one hand and a pile of fries in the other hand and was steering with his knees.
With a steady diet like that long enough, he won't need an accident to take him out.
Old 05-03-19, 07:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Truer words have never been spoken... This is one of the most frustrating states to drive in for the 70-72mph left lane cruisers. I sometimes admire how oblivious they are to the outside world.
Florida’s a big state, do you drive everywhere in it? on I75 where i live, there are no slow left lane cruisers. I think you might have said you’re in Orlando? I4 is often pretty horrible. as for I95, my least favorite road in America (i’ve done stretches of it all up and down the east coast, but maybe a toss up with the PA turnpike ).
Old 05-03-19, 07:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

After seeing old Leonard Lunch Box stuffing his face, I felt like I should invent a cup holder that goes over his neck and holds the big gulp at straw distance on the center of his chest so he can at least slurp his 56 oncer in safety while he packs a double cheese burger with fries into his potato hole.
LOL you have writing skillz.
Old 05-03-19, 08:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as for I95, my least favorite road in America (i’ve done stretches of it all up and down the east coast, but maybe a toss up with the PA turnpike ).
Maybe slightly off-topic, but what do you dislike about the PA Turnpike (besides the tolls)?. Many sections of it are quite scenic, especially the long, curving climb up and down the Allegheny Front (Allegheny Mountain).
Old 05-03-19, 08:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ maybe pa turnpike is better these days, but it used to be riddled with potholes and bad sections/seams, and was one speed trap after another (including airplanes overhead). Ask me how i know.
Old 05-04-19, 02:52 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Florida’s a big state, do you drive everywhere in it? on I75 where i live, there are no slow left lane cruisers. I think you might have said you’re in Orlando? I4 is often pretty horrible. as for I95, my least favorite road in America (i’ve done stretches of it all up and down the east coast, but maybe a toss up with the PA turnpike ).
You are correct, Florida is huge and driving styles, aka PROBLEM drivers have different styles.
These are my experiences driving I-95 from Miami to Jacksonville, Florida, the entire state.
I-95, Miami up to West Palm, driving north, it starts out fast when there is not a traffic jam. As you head north it begins to slow down slightly. Once you are north of WP, it begins to thin out and you begin to see folks parking it in the left lane going 73mph. This is usually not a problem because you can illegally pass on the right. Some may yield to you If you flash your lights or drive close to them, others will just sit there in wonderland.
Traffic is usually good and flows well as you pass Melbourne and all the way to Daytona, which is where I-4 merges into I-95, then its a cluster the rest of the way to Jacksonville.
Snow Bird Drivers are a problem in the winter months and you can usually tell who they are by the type of car and the plates.

I drive to Middle Ga frequently for work and avoid the Florida turnpike to I-75, north to I-10 because of the wrecks they have on I-75. There is some crazy driving on I-75 between the Turnpike, north to Lake City.

I-10 is pretty good most of the time and can actually get pretty boring West of Tallahassee. I-10 is known for speed traps! Plenty of troopers up there.

i drive I-4 from Orlando to Tampa and it’s always a mess.

Last edited by Bgw70; 05-04-19 at 02:55 AM.
Old 05-04-19, 05:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

going at a significantly slower speed than the rest of traffic makes it more dangerous too, even moreso when people dont get out of the proper lanes when doing such slow speed
Old 05-04-19, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
going at a significantly slower speed than the rest of traffic makes it more dangerous too, even moreso when people dont get out of the proper lanes when doing such slow speed
What about when the majority of traffic is simply going too fast for conditions? That's why we sometimes see those multi-vehicle pileups on the Interstates that look like this...........

Old 05-04-19, 08:08 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

I thought that "excessive camping" was mostly a MA thing... .guess not.... lmao
Old 05-04-19, 09:05 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What about when the majority of traffic is simply going too fast for conditions? That's why we sometimes see those multi-vehicle pileups on the Interstates that look like this...........

This is what happens when these slow drivers finally decide to speed up.....
Old 05-04-19, 09:13 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

as for I95, my least favorite road in America (i’ve done stretches of it all up and down the east coast, but maybe a toss up with the PA turnpike ).
Then you've clearly never driven on the Belt Parkway.
Old 05-04-19, 12:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This is what happens when these slow drivers finally decide to speed up.....

No, that's what happens when too many drivers are going too fast (for conditions) to react and stop in time.
Old 05-04-19, 12:29 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

No, that's what happens when too many drivers are going too fast (for conditions) to react and stop in time.
it could be that someone was camping in the left lane preventing people from passing with a long line of traffic building up, until someone finally got so frustrated they did something spontaneously irrational and ended up causing a yuuuuge chain reaction pileup

that particular picture seems to be of a major highway on a clear nice day, so idk what conditions there might've been
Old 05-04-19, 12:49 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
I thought that "excessive camping" was mostly a MA thing... .guess not.... lmao
in making my occasional trip from amherst to gloucester, i never fail to get someone to flash their brights at me on the masspike after their "excessing camping" leaves me no choice but to take evasive action and basically cut them off lol...

in amherst and western MA especially there's a paradox, everyone trundles along in part thanks to their old slow car, and that same car is then also too slow and old to pass anyone, so you get these super long lines building up where everyone is seemingly content to go like 43 in a 50 despite having so much room to get around who's causing the hold up! i think a 4 in 1 pass is my record haha...

in the long island / tri state area people almost seem to expect it and don't get bothered when you pass with not much room to spare, but the "ma-ssholes" get much more upset lol... also wtf is there even to do in western MA, so i imagine people would rather just make the drive longer instead of getting to where they're going sooner and having nothing to do

Quick Reply: Epidemic of extremely slow drivers!!!!