Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Test Drove the UX 250h F Sport and Signed on it!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-19, 08:26 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Test Drove the UX 250h F Sport and Signed on it!

The wife and I were very (pleasantly) surprised with the UX's test drive the other day to the point where she wanted it. The trade-in deal with the RX made sense and we signed on a new USB/white F Sport Series 2 (loaded, HUD, Qi, etc) UX 250h AWD. It's her daily (as was the RX), and with ridiculously increasing gas prices in Canada, we wanted to downsize to a hybrid (or electric).

I'll get into greater details on likes/dislikes and comparisons once we've owned the car for a few days, but what convinced us was the surprisingly smooth, torquey, and quiet powertrain, and the surprisingly supple ride quality, despite the Bridgestone Runflats. Incredibly, the impact harshness over small bumps felt better absorbed than our RX F Sport though I will reserve final judgment once we have owned the car for a few days driven over various road conditions. The interior too, in F Sport trim, has the more premium etched plastic trim in the console/dash, padded trim where your knees can hit, and nicer more supple-feeling Nuluxe F Sport seats. By far, this is a better more refined, quieter ride than the CT ever was though I loved that car for what it was intended for.

Pics of the UX we test drove:

Old 05-01-19, 08:33 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Happy to hear of the positive experience! Congrats!
Old 05-01-19, 08:43 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats - that's the one you drove and purchased or you purchased a different one?
Old 05-01-19, 08:47 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,511 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Congrats. Hope you guys enjoy. Seems like it would be a perfect daily runner - helps that it's got decent gas mileage.

Did you go with an F Sport like that one in the photo? That interior looks awesome.
Old 05-01-19, 10:53 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Wow, congrats.

You sure made your way around the lexus NX, RX, and now UX

I was tempted on trading in my NX for the UXh when it debut, but haven't pulled the trigger. Awaiting to hear more feedback when you rack up more driving mileage.
Old 05-01-19, 11:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Congratulations, corrado...and good luck with it.

If you remember my two-part review (and I know you usually read them), my static (non-test-drive) review gave me a quite-negative opinion of the vehicle's interior, control-layout (I was particularly put off by the tiny, partially-hidden radio thumb-wheels on the center console), cramped accommodations, and overuse of cheap materials. But, when I actually went back and test-drove a hybrid F-Sport version, the F-Sport actually seemed to have nicer materials inside, and, like you, I was very impressed with its road-manners. Its ride comfort, noise isolation, and general road-manners were significantly better than the larger/more expensive NX (which, IMO, on the road, is a clear disappointment), and almost as good as the RX. I could easily live with the UX's road manners...a lot more than I could with the interior and control-layout.
Old 05-01-19, 12:07 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by JDR76
Happy to hear of the positive experience! Congrats!
Thanks, we're still in the Lexus family!

Originally Posted by bagwell
Congrats - that's the one you drove and purchased or you purchased a different one?
That was the one (Ultra White/red) available for the test drive. We ordered a USB 2.0 with white interior, we should be getting in the next two weeks. We love USB (from the IS) and wanted a change from the usual whites, blacks, and grays. I can imagine a white interior will be "fun" to maintain though thankfully, my positive experience with Nuluxe ownership with the CT, IS, and NX gives me no concern with cleaning any stains and maintaining a pristine white interior.

Originally Posted by arentz07
Congrats. Hope you guys enjoy. Seems like it would be a perfect daily runner - helps that it's got decent gas mileage.

Did you go with an F Sport like that one in the photo? That interior looks awesome.
Thanks! Indeed, we're barely getting 18 MPG combined (mostly city) with the RX and at $1.25-1.30 per liter(>$4/gallon) (and climbing), gas cost adds up. It should be about half the cost with the UX and as importantly, fewer trips to the pump. Perfect daily driver car, at least on paper - we'll see!

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Wow, congrats.

You sure made your way around the lexus NX, RX, and now UX

I was tempted on trading in my NX for the UXh when it debut, but haven't pulled the trigger. Awaiting to hear more feedback when you rack up more driving mileage.
LOL, yes, we've had them all! UX has grown on me (and my wife especially) styling-wise. If you have a growing family, as you probably very well know, it's going to be tight. I still have two teens but I'm planning on getting a roof-top cargo box for the two-three road trips per year - no big deal. As a daily, 90% of the time, it's only my wife who would be in the car.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations, corrado...and good luck with it.

If you remember my two-part review (and I know you usually read them), my static (non-test-drive) review gave me a quite-negative opinion of the vehicle's interior, control-layout (I was particularly put off by the tiny, partially-hidden radio thumb-wheels on the center console), cramped accommodations, and overuse of cheap materials. But, when I actually went back and test-drove a hybrid F-Sport version, the F-Sport actually seemed to have nicer materials inside, and, like you, I was very impressed with its road-manners. Its ride comfort, noise isolation, and general road-manners were significantly better than the larger/more expensive NX (which, IMO, on the road, is a clear disappointment), and almost as good as the RX. I could easily live with the UX's road manners...a lot more than I could with the interior and control-layout.
Thanks MM. Yeah I definitely recall your initial and post-drive impressions for which I (was and) am in total agreement. If one can get over the awkward (to me) rear/side styling (though it's growing on me) and smallish cargo/backseat, the 250h is surprisingly very refined, better than what its price suggests. Though we can all agree, if room is what one needs, UX is near the bottom of the class alongside the the GLA and QX30 where the XC40 is king.

P.S. I still have the Scratch Out bottle you shipped me when I got the NX 4+ years ago. Used it for that car, the RX, (Stinger too), and I'll be good for the UX!
Old 05-01-19, 01:51 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats! Subscribed for updates as I'm hoping the Mrs will want one to replace her CRV.
Old 05-01-19, 07:31 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Congratulations! I will be waiting for your updates, as this is a car I am interested in.
Old 05-01-19, 11:02 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Congrats, I was wondering when you were going to pull the trigger. You have shown interest in this model since day one.

You beat me to it as my next vehicle will be a hybrid if not an EV.

I'll be interested in how the family vacations go in this size.
Old 05-02-19, 06:19 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by TripleL
Congrats! Subscribed for updates as I'm hoping the Mrs will want one to replace her CRV.
Originally Posted by Sulu
Congratulations! I will be waiting for your updates, as this is a car I am interested in.
Thanks guys! I'll probably start a new thread on my ownership experience but will certainly link it to this one.

CRV is a cavern inside in comparison but if it's just a daily with occasional cargo/rear seat needs, then considering the UX makes sense!

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Congrats, I was wondering when you were going to pull the trigger. You have shown interest in this model since day one.

You beat me to it as my next vehicle will be a hybrid if not an EV.

I'll be interested in how the family vacations go in this size.
Thanks! LOL, yes, we seem to jump on first-year model Lexus vehicles as soon as they are out. We were interested but waited out a bit to get the most out of the resale value on the RX after the accident. That worked out well and the positive test drive was the clincher.

My expectations are modest for space/convenience and highway power/performance with a loaded UX (and cargo box) but, we'll see!
Old 05-02-19, 06:30 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Thanks guys! I'll probably start a new thread on my ownership experience but will certainly link it to this one.

CRV is a cavern inside in comparison but if it's just a daily with occasional cargo/rear seat needs, then considering the UX makes sense!
Thanks! Yes 95% of the time she drives alone back and forth to the elementary school she works at, the other 5% is me taking it to Home Depot or date night when parking is tight. lol
Old 05-06-19, 12:05 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Saw one of these in my subdivision a few days ago. Is the rear hatch powered?
Old 05-06-19, 01:14 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by TripleL
Thanks! Yes 95% of the time she drives alone back and forth to the elementary school she works at, the other 5% is me taking it to Home Depot or date night when parking is tight. lol
Yeah, then makes sense to have a vehicle like this. I'll use the Stinger for Home Depot haulin' or rent their van for 20$ for the trip - no biggie.

Originally Posted by Propulsion
Saw one of these in my subdivision a few days ago. Is the rear hatch powered?
Lower trims won't have it. Mine has it. They actually added a separate button to lock the car versus a double-tap single-button with the RX.
Old 05-08-19, 06:37 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Congrats on the Lexus UX 250h Fsport purchase. It'll hold it's own among the compact SUV's out there. The perk of getting 40mpg all day long all week long gives you freedom of an extra meal or two weekly and no hassles of cooking

Quick Reply: Test Drove the UX 250h F Sport and Signed on it!