Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Mercedes-Benz GLS is all-new

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-19, 11:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLS is all-new

After two generations and 12 years of wearing the same hard-edged blocky aesthetic that helped establish Mercedes-Benz in the seven-seater segment, the GLS debuted at the 2019 New York Auto Show with a softer, curvier, and more elegant presence. The all-new generation is bigger, more powerful, more advanced, and more premium; and it wears Mercedes' Sensual Purity design language with maturity. The top-of-the-line 580 4MATIC presents a new engine to the world for the first time, the 4.0-liter biturbo V8 with EQ Boost.

At launch, the Tuscaloosa, Alabama-built GLS will be available in two variants: the 450 4MATIC and the 580 4MATIC. The 450 is powered by a turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six that makes a claimed 362 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 369 lb-ft of torque at 1,600 rpm. According to Mercedes, its EQ Boost technology is capable of additionally providing up to 21 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque for short bursts of time.

EQ Boost is an integrated starter generator and a 48-volt onboard electrical system. The electric motor helps aid the combustion engine with acceleration, and the generator recuperates energy that can be supplied back into a battery. Furthermore, the EQ Boost eliminates the need for a belt drive, which saves space and makes the engine more compact. The electric system can also service features such as the air conditioning compressor and the water pump.

The second and more important engine is a 4.0-liter biturbo V8 with the same EQ Boost technology. It makes a claimed 483 horsepower and 516 lb-ft of torque before boost. Both the six- and eight-cylinder engines are paired with 9G-TRONIC nine-speed automatic transmissions and put power down to all four wheels. Mercedes claims the 450 can go zero-to-60 in 5.9 seconds, while the 580 can scoot from zero-to-60 in a claimed 5.2 seconds. Both are electronically limited to 130-mph top speeds.

Ensuring a comfortable ride, all GLS models come standard with air suspension and active damping. Mercedes notes that all components of the AIRMATIC system have been revised and improved specifically for the GLS. New for 2020 is the optional E-Active Body Control system, which can determine spring and damping forces at an individual level. E-Active works with the air suspension to eliminate squatting, diving, or other body roll. During turns, the GLS will even lean in to keep the cabin level in attempts to completely eliminate disturbances from reaching the passengers.

Billed as the S-Class of SUVs, the GLS debuts with a significantly larger footprint. It is 205 inches long, 77 inches wide, 71.8 inches tall, and has a 123.4-inch wheelbase. The outgoing model was 202 inches long, 76.1 inches wide, 72.8 inches tall, and had a 121.1-inch wheelbase. Thanks to its slippery new design and extensive underbody development, it also improves its drag coefficient from 0.35 to 0.32.

The larger size means more space inside. The GLS can be ordered in two orientations, traditional seven-seater or a new six-seater with captain's chairs for the same cost. Mercedes-Benz says legroom in the second row increases a massive 3.4 inches when the seats are fully pushed back. The third row, which is heated for the first time and has new USB charging ports, is supposedly good enough to fit people 6.4 feet tall. We'll report on the truth of that at a later time. For hauling needs, all rear seats can be power-folded into the floor with the push of one button, and for viewing needs, the new panorama roof is 50 percent bigger.

The interior design is an even bigger departure from the existing model than the exterior. Mercedes-Benz finally ditches the busy, analog-looking vertical layout for a super-modern luxurious horizontal presentation.

A massive digital display with side-by-side 12.3-inch instrument cluster screen and 12.3-inch touchscreen infotainment is available as an option and automatically makes the cabin a high-tech environment. Squared-off air vents sit below the screen, with a vertical line of metal switches below that. Mercedes-Benz gives the GLS a more rugged feel with the addition of two grab handles that flank the center console and touchpad infotainment controller.

Every GLS comes standard with the Mercedes User Experience (MBUX) and a suite of active safety systems. Furthermore, an Executive Rear Seat Package brings a seven-inch Android tablet with its own dock built into the rear center console.

From every angle and to the smallest degree, the new GLS improves on what was already one of the best values in the large SUV market. It goes on sale in late 2019, and we fully expect more variants to debut in the near future.
Source
Old 04-22-19, 11:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Very clean and well-proportioned body. It is great seeing an SUV put an emphasis on visibility. This is also one of the first applications of MBZ's rectangle dash that doesn't look like a Fisher-Price toy. Great improvement, minus the Chevy emblems on the steering wheel.
This should prove to be an extremely popular vehicle.
Old 04-23-19, 06:59 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

First MB that I really like but can't afford. Full digital tablet interface scares me though. I guess for the folks that can afford this, long term reliability and durability is not a real concern.
Old 04-23-19, 08:27 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

The GLS tall wagen is considerably cheaper than S Class sedan, but only managed to peak sales of 32k+/year USA.
It looks like GLS falls well short of S Class quality, refinement and features.
I don't understand how this can be a replacement for the S Class.
Old 04-23-19, 09:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
First MB that I really like but can't afford. Full digital tablet interface scares me though. I guess for the folks that can afford this, long term reliability and durability is not a real concern.
'folks that can afford this' lease... it's not about long term.
Old 04-23-19, 10:21 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Even leasing will be hefty. The way these things depreciate with the high initial price, the person might be forking out close to $1500 a month and $10k out of pocket to lease when a LS or LX leases for around $1000 a month and $5k out of pocket. That kind of pricing is for the "folks that can afford" it.
Old 04-23-19, 10:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

never thought it would be cheap, just saying most don't care about 'long term'.

as for comparing with lx, it's a very different vehicle.
Old 04-23-19, 10:55 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I have always loved the GL/GLS. Its always been so boss to me and this one is no exception.

Any worries about the dual screen should be quelled since the 2014 S class had them, so its been a while. And since they are putting it in everything from the A class to the G, I would say its fine. No problems on my E, mostly software bugs, not hardware.

I do wish that it had a slightly different interior than the GLE, as this gen and last gen had exact carbon copies.
Old 04-23-19, 12:09 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
What would Dave Ramsey say? Probably that I don't even deserve to look at the pics! lol

Call me weird but there's a certain year that I like best--I think it was boxier and looked like there was more overhang in the rear. But what I do love about both BMW and MB SUVs is you can get a sport package with staggered tires and they're huge. It's a goal in my life to have a vehicle with Corvette sized tires. Maybe I'll achieve it, not the end of the world if not.

This SUV looks sweet to me.
Old 04-23-19, 05:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Even leasing will be hefty. The way these things depreciate with the high initial price, the person might be forking out close to $1500 a month and $10k out of pocket to lease when a LS or LX leases for around $1000 a month and $5k out of pocket. That kind of pricing is for the "folks that can afford" it.
not true at all.

the LX in general don't have very good lease deals. by comparison the GLS has better MF in general especially on the 450. the GLS63 is the only one with painful MF most of the time.

to make my case, when we leased our 2016 GL550, we considered the LX570 as well (apple to apple, both are V8). both zero down, LX570 was about 1300 a month, and the GL550 was 1200. granted we got a decent deal on the GL550, its msrp was also 5k more than the LX570.
Old 04-23-19, 05:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The GLS tall wagen is considerably cheaper than S Class sedan, but only managed to peak sales of 32k+/year USA.
from what i see, GLS and S class owners are pretty different audience. S class definitely carries more prestige and it is THE mercedes, but i wouldn't necessarily say the GLS falls well short of S class in terms of quality and refinement. I had S550 before and we have GL550 now, both have their own goods and bads. in this market, and given the status of S class, imho it is hard to have GLS sales topping the S class.

and don't forget the fact that mb puts in a lot more incentives in the s class (and also fleet discount), leasing a S class is usually cheaper than a GLS.
Old 04-23-19, 06:30 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
This post makes zero sense. The GLS is not a replacement for the S class.
Old 04-23-19, 07:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The new MB SUVs just don't look right to me, too rounded maybe...front ends look bulbous...
Old 04-23-19, 08:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The new MB SUVs just don't look right to me, too rounded maybe...front ends look bulbous...
still better than the x7 i think
Old 04-23-19, 10:02 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Much better interior than the current gen. Definitely a winner but I will only lease one if I'm in the market.

Quick Reply: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLS is all-new