ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   Michelin at Costco (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/916739-michelin-at-costco.html)

Freds430 04-19-19 03:26 PM

Michelin at Costco

Quick FYI, starting yesterday and going through 5/3/2019, Costco has $70 instant rebate on Michelin tires and $.01 installation per tire. Ordered four today for our 2017 RX 450H. Tire rack had them for the same price with a mail-in rebate of $70. My independent repair shop was going to charge me $160 to install the four tires.

UZ214 04-19-19 06:39 PM

I mostly get all my tires at Costco the price is very hard to beat, plus they pro rate the tires if they wear out faster - bonus is free rotation too. throw in rebates and its a steal. I was talking to one of the installer other day and he was telling me they get people all the way up from Canada to get tires here- No sales tax in Delaware

Zmon 04-19-19 10:30 PM

It's too bad they only limit that promo to 4 tires, need 2 and I'll be paying full price. Will still buy from them though since they're a few bucks cheaper and closer than Discount Tire.

Fizzboy7 04-20-19 01:07 AM

I think the $70 instant rebate is from the manufacturer, not Costco. Nearly all tire store ads list the same reduction, although usually it's in the form of a Visa gift card. Costco is good, but I've done all my tires through America's Tire and they will match any ad, do the prorating, include the free rotations, and free plugs. I think most major chains offer these services at no charge.

Nina265 05-14-19 11:53 AM

Hi,
Costco has a slightly less expansive set of package components. Members can buy tires at a Costco location or online and have them shipped to a local store (shipping and handling costs included). The installation package is priced at $15 per tire and includes mounting, new rubber valve stems, nitrogen tire inflation (instead of compressed air), and old tire disposal. Additionally, buyers are entitled to rotations over the tire’s lifetime, inflation and pressure checks, flat repairs and a road hazard warranty. very good service!

dafont*******filehippo

Johnhav430 05-14-19 12:17 PM

I marked my tires before going to Costco (put a vertical line in different parts of one letter in Michelin, and a second mark in a randomly chosen spot). Took the car to Costco and all four tires remained in their original position. I was wondering how come they said 2 hours, and done in 30 min.

The only possible explanation I can think of is that all four have the same wear, so why bother doing anything? But that's not likely to be true.

Took the same car to another Costco, and found that the rears moved to the fronts, and the fronts x-crossed and went to the rear. Kinda burst my Costco bubble but that's the real world for you. I highly doubt they rebalance like the paperwork states. If you don't feel like tricking them with tire crayon (the marks should be a hint the owner is up to something), then you can mess with the caps.

Toys4RJill 05-15-19 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Freds430 (Post 10497740)
Quick FYI, starting yesterday and going through 5/3/2019, Costco has $70 instant rebate on Michelin tires and $.01 installation per tire. Ordered four today for our 2017 RX 450H. Tire rack had them for the same price with a mail-in rebate of $70. My independent repair shop was going to charge me $160 to install the four tires.

This is a great deal.

RX469 05-16-19 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Johnhav430 (Post 10517395)
I marked my tires before going to Costco (put a vertical line in different parts of one letter in Michelin, and a second mark in a randomly chosen spot). Took the car to Costco and all four tires remained in their original position. I was wondering how come they said 2 hours, and done in 30 min.

If this is the case, I wonder if they are hand torqueing the lug nuts, to manufacturers specifications, as they advertise as opposed to the power tools? Hmmm.

BTW, I'm not only a member, I'm a (repeat) Costco tire customer.

geko29 05-16-19 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by RX469 (Post 10518962)
If this is the case, I wonder if they are hand torqueing the lug nuts, to manufacturers specifications, as they advertise as opposed to the power tools? Hmmm.

They absolutely do at the three Costcos I've purchased from. But in his case, they didn't rotate at all, so no torquing necessary :)

krumsta 05-16-19 07:59 AM

My local Costco quoted me $1305 OTD for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4s.

Johnhav430 05-16-19 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by RX469 (Post 10518962)

I do think they hand torque--they actually have good tools, down to lug centric adapters say for a GM car. But the techs are super lazy as a general rule. I always wondered, if that's such a great place to work, how come the employees are often not very nice? I do like their safety vests with the Top Tier logo and have wanted one for a long time. I'd get my name embroidered like I see with GCs a lot on job sites.

I'm gonna be honest with you, I'm a Costco sheep. My only mistake was not buying the stock long ago. I was crying over their special dividend, then I got it with VMW and didn't even know and discovered a cash balance (it was like ~ $27/share).

Each store is different--I won't go back to the one who didn't actually do the work. I think it's more common in car repair than anybody knows. I would still be wary of any car with special lifting adapters, like the German cars, rather take it to an indie and get the tires online in that case. No issues I'm taking the LS430 there for Pilot Sport AS 3+ when the time comes, they can work on it.

Don't be afraid to verify work, at least that's what I was taught.

p.s. OT with Costco, I got a $10 off $100 email only at costco.com. So I ordered some shirts. Come to find 1 was missing, i.e. qty was one less. This is only the 4th time ever any online order was incorrect (the other 3X was amazon), but this is happening more and more. They sent me another without any issues. I wonder, though, what if it were a $200 or a $500 item missing?

Johnhav430 05-16-19 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by krumsta (Post 10518972)
My local Costco quoted me $1305 OTD for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4s.

I'm afraid to ask for what car. I've seen them lift BMWs without adapters, and I just don't like that. I've replaced those adapters before myself and they're not easy to replace. It takes 20 sec. to put adapters on, but most simply put the arm right under without.

krumsta 05-20-19 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Johnhav430 (Post 10518977)
I'm afraid to ask for what car. I've seen them lift BMWs without adapters, and I just don't like that. I've replaced those adapters before myself and they're not easy to replace. It takes 20 sec. to put adapters on, but most simply put the arm right under without.

This is for my 4GS, stock staggered setup.