Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Room for a GS or GS F Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-19, 05:22 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Number one for me would be a sleeker roofline, like the upcoming G80 will have. I think we are in agreement it worked well on the 3GS. Also, I'm not the biggest fan of the current GS's very conservative side profile. It's a good looking car, sure, but not as exciting as it should be from the side.
Yeah, I agree about the look from the side. I think it could definitely be sexier in profile... And a four-door hatch could definitely help with that.
Old 04-30-19, 09:41 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Number one for me would be a sleeker roofline, like the upcoming G80 will have. I think we are in agreement it worked well on the 3GS. Also, I'm not the biggest fan of the current GS's very conservative side profile. It's a good looking car, sure, but not as exciting as it should be from the side.
It depends on what is meant by a sleeker roof line?
1) Just a low roof line and low waist line only that is adequately spacious inside like new Camry, ES and 5LS?
2) Or a swoopy curvaceous but tall roof line that is reasonably spacious like the 2020 Genesis G80?
3) Or both a low and curvaceous roof line that is a bit cramped like 3GS or very cramped like the Benz CLS and AMG GT?

The other issue is that Benz and Beamer have two body styles on the same platform, and therefore they can afford to make low swoopy coupes eg:
1) E Class and CLS rear drivers.
2) S Class and AMG GT4 4 Door Coupes.
3) 5 Series and 6 Series 4 Door Gran Coupes.
4) Audi A4 and A5 Sports Back.
5) Audi A6 and A7 Sports Back.

However, Lexus only has the one body style for 5LS.
While the ES and GS provide two body styles with similar exterior size, the ES is only front wheel drive.

Thus, the Camry/ES/5LS is only a low roof line - and not that swoopy/curvaceous. It can't afford to be too compact in size, because there is only one body style.
Only the GS like 3GS can be both low and swoopy/curvaceous, because there is ES, even though ES is FWD...

Old 04-30-19, 10:24 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,509 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Probably the new G80. Even the current one has a swoopy roofline, but the headroom in the back is plenty for a 5'11" me.
Old 04-30-19, 03:47 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

we have a gs coupe but dont even know it. the RC is built on the GS platform, with different skin, that looks like an IS inside. then again the RC is more if the IS coupe then its own deal.

the GS in general has a death rattle. its been discontinued in a lot of places and i haven't heard anything on a next-gen GS. doesn't look good which is a shame, because out of all the sedans the GS is by far the most fun to drive. i think our current GS is the most beautiful design they've ever had, and its dialed in absolutely perfectly all the way around. it would be a crying shame if they killed off the GS
Old 04-30-19, 06:11 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The RC is mostly IS, not GS. It has the front portion of the GS platform, IS C center, and IS rear.
Old 05-03-19, 03:44 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Originally Posted by Stereorob
we have a gs coupe but dont even know it. the RC is built on the GS platform, with different skin, that looks like an IS inside. then again the RC is more if the IS coupe then its own deal.

the GS in general has a death rattle. its been discontinued in a lot of places and i haven't heard anything on a next-gen GS. doesn't look good which is a shame, because out of all the sedans the GS is by far the most fun to drive. i think our current GS is the most beautiful design they've ever had, and its dialed in absolutely perfectly all the way around. it would be a crying shame if they killed off the GS
I could definitely see if going away, given the way the market is going, and agree it would be a shame. It's so fun to drive.
Old 05-03-19, 03:45 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Originally Posted by JDR76
The RC is mostly IS, not GS. It has the front portion of the GS platform, IS C center, and IS rear.
Thanks for clarifying that!
Old 05-28-19, 03:43 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

The renders are up! Head to the front page for all the details on what how we imagine a line of coupes could look. And thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Super cool to see what enthusiasts think about the possibilities!

Old 05-28-19, 04:57 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How about they just make another ISF.
Old 05-28-19, 05:39 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm interested to see a GS coupe.

With this render, it looks a little pudgy.
I think it would look much better a la CLS style (4-dr low roof design)
Old 05-28-19, 11:53 PM
rryba
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully someone from japan reading this forum ! I really want to see GS coupse, but it also need new generation with new lexus styling applied, especially into back
Old 05-29-19, 09:22 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Where would it fit in?

Above RC coupe but below LC coupe, neither of which sell in big numbers. As much as I love coupes I don't see Lexus having 3 low selling coupes in the lineup and they definitely can't just make the GS coupe look like a 2 door GS, it has to have better more unique styling.

I think they could take the RC a little more upscale, make it larger, roomier and give it the LS 6 cylinder turbo but that would likely mean they could not give the LC the 6 cylinder and try to get its pricing lower which they really need to do. It's a tough call where you would put a GS coupe, try to make it a full size full luxury coupe with decent room in the rear seat but then it would be more of a LS coupe or do you try to make it sporty when the RC and LC are already pretty sporty.
Old 05-29-19, 09:47 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I think a GS four door coupe would work well.
Old 05-29-19, 10:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by nicedude
A coupe with three seats in the back that can fit adults decently/two baby seats. One can dream.
i think that's called an suv.
Old 05-29-19, 04:44 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think that's called an suv.
Ha ha ha! I think you're right!

Quick Reply: Room for a GS or GS F Coupe?