Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Highlander

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-19, 08:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts
Default 2020 Highlander

2020 Toyota Highlander Shows Its Stuff before Its Official Debut

• A redesigned version of the Toyota Highlander is debuting at the 2019 New York auto show next week.
  • A rendering of the new three-row SUV shows a similar profile as the current car, but with more body sculpting on the side and what looks like a more aggressive front end.
  • The 2020 Toyota Highlander officially debuts April 17 and should go on sale sometime by the end of 2019.
More here.

Old 04-09-19, 08:57 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

This vehicle was always pretty much a winner since introduction....hope they get it right (for example me personally I think the new RAV4 is hideous). Whenever I see the first gen on the road I think dang if you're the original owner imagine how much money you saved by getting that car and to be still driving it today (when you make the right choice)....
Old 04-09-19, 11:55 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm actually excited by this. But knowing Toyota these days, they will tout sportiness only to stuff a mismatched barely adequate old powertrain in there. Yes the current 3.5L in the Highlander is old. Hopefully, it is more refined in terms of road and wind noise, which the RAV is pretty poor at.
Old 04-09-19, 12:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
But knowing Toyota these days, they will tout sportiness only to stuff a mismatched barely adequate old powertrain in there. Yes the current 3.5L in the Highlander is old. Hopefully, it is more refined in terms of road and wind noise, which the RAV is pretty poor at.
First, one reason the 3.5L is reliable is because it has been around for awhile....time to perfect it. Toyota and Lexus did not get the reputation they did for reliable engines by changing the designs of them (or introducing new ones) every time the sun comes up.

Second, the RAV4 is not unrefined because of its engine....although most fours, of course, are usually not as refined as most sixes. The RAV4 is unrefined because of cheapness of materials used in the body, interior, and insulation.
Old 04-09-19, 12:13 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
First, one reason the 3.5L is reliable is because it has been around for awhile....time to perfect it. Toyota and Lexus did not get the reputation they did for reliable engines by changing the designs of them (or introducing new ones) every time the sun comes up.

Second, the RAV4 is not unrefined because of its engine....although most fours, of course, are usually not as refined as most sixes. The RAV4 is unrefined because of cheapness of materials used in the body, interior, and insulation.
I never said it isnt reliable it is just old. Also, was the 3.5L unreliable when it was first released or is Toyota incapable of releasing new and reliable engines?

Also, I never said the RAV4 is unrefined because of its engine. It is unrefined due to the high level of wind and road noise, but since you brought it up, a lot of reviewers commented on how loud and coarse the engine sounds when accelerating.

Anyways, hope the new Highlander is more Avalon (without the stupid grill) than Camry in terms of refinement.
Old 04-09-19, 12:36 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

My expectation is this:

- As shown above, a profile that is similar to the one we have now, but updated to add a bit more style.
- A large grill that may take some time to get used to.
- Continued options for seating of 7 or 8.
- I think the 4 cylinder will be gone.
- The 2GR-FKS becomes the standard engine.
- Hybrid powertrain carries over (because, Toyota).
- New TNGA architecture/platform.
- It'll still be softer than entries like the CX-9, but Toyota will try to market some sportiness, and again will offer an SE trim.
- I suspect they'll debut a new "adventure" trim (or some other butch/outdoorsy trim).
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto available (standard?).
Old 04-09-19, 12:51 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

So, it seems like you haven't read anything about the 2019 RAV4. Higher level trims are high-quality inside; I saw it at the car show, and it was pretty nice, with a lot of features. But every single review I have read and seen says the 2.5L 203HP gas version is just downright loud and intrusive. I think the hybrid is less so. I have not driven one yet, but may do so this spring--I'd probably lean toward the hybrid since it's only $800 more.
Old 04-09-19, 12:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
So, it seems like you haven't read anything about the 2019 RAV4. Higher level trims are high-quality inside; I saw it at the car show, and it was pretty nice, with a lot of features. But every single review I have read and seen says the 2.5L 203HP gas version is just downright loud and intrusive. I think the hybrid is less so. I have not driven one yet, but may do so this spring--I'd probably lean toward the hybrid since it's only $800 more.
I have to agree with this post. The higher trim levels are better than the cheaper trim levels. The press seem to really like the new RAV. As for noise, everyone says the noise from the 2.5 is the problem.
Old 04-09-19, 12:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
My expectation is this:

- Hybrid powertrain carries over (because, Toyota).
I wonder if Toyota will carry on with the V6 hybrid or downsize to a 4 cylinder to bring the cost down. It would be a miracle if they offfered a plug-in option.
Old 04-09-19, 12:58 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I'm actually excited by this. But knowing Toyota these days, they will tout sportiness only to stuff a mismatched barely adequate old powertrain in there. Yes the current 3.5L in the Highlander is old. Hopefully, it is more refined in terms of road and wind noise, which the RAV is pretty poor at.
Oh no, you had to go there. You think the new Highlander will have quad exhaust tips, when 3 aren't even openings and just pieces of plastic attached/clipped on? Hey, Audi does it too!
Old 04-09-19, 01:03 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I wonder if Toyota will carry on with the V6 hybrid or downsize to a 4 cylinder to bring the cost down. It would be a miracle if they offfered a plug-in option.
Interesting thought, but I think they'll stick with the V6 hybrid version, at least for North America. I could see a 4 cylinder hybrid (from the RAV4?) being offered elsewhere.
Old 04-09-19, 01:06 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Oh no, you had to go there. You think the new Highlander will have quad exhaust tips, when 3 aren't even openings and just pieces of plastic attached/clipped on? Hey, Audi does it too!
I think they will have the center exhaust tips from the LFA is my guess. Maybe even the flip up headlights from the Gen 2 MR2. I know I'm dreaming but who knows, there is still hope that both of those will happen!!!
Old 04-09-19, 01:07 PM
situman
Pole Position

Interesting thought, but I think they'll stick with the V6 hybrid version, at least for North America. I could see a 4 cylinder hybrid (from the RAV4?) being offered elsewhere.
Yea the 4cylinder Hybrid is not happening. It is just barely adequate in the RAV4 and it will be outright dangerous in the Highlander trying to get up to highway speed.
Old 04-09-19, 01:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I doubt they will change it, like you said.

Curious to know, I see you have had a lot of 3.5 sedans by Lexus, why did you go for the Hybrid HL and not the exact same motor as your GS in the gas version of the HL?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-09-19 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-09-19, 01:56 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I think they will have the center exhaust tips from the LFA is my guess. Maybe even the flip up headlights from the Gen 2 MR2. I know I'm dreaming but who knows, there is still hope that both of those will happen!!!
haha I really hope they don't mess up this model--my buddy who has a 2008 Navigator L said in his Powerball dreams he would get a hybrid Highlander. I said no way, would you really? He said seriously, yes, he likes it. At the same time he said he's done with cars and his next one will likely be a 5-spd Corolla circa 1999, and he meant it! (he's owned a LS400, Jaguar XJ-8, Acura RL, Toyota 4Runner, BMW 325, Audi Q5, on and on, tons of cars, so I guess a person "can" get it out of their system as he seems to have done)

Quick Reply: 2020 Highlander